Homo florence, a big blow to creationists everywhere?

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:49 pm
Recently in Indonesia ont the Island of Florence a 1 metere tall hominid was found which existed during the time of our anscestors, homo Sapiens.

Read the article here = => http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/science/story/0,12996,1340665,00.html

it was in every major newspaper in Canada and i assume the US too.

It shows a clearly that humans are subject to evolutionary change based on surroundings. The hominids shrunk because the had to exist on a small island, this is true with animals and so it seems with us.

Edit . POll question is supposed to be Homo Florence, not Home
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,729 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:54 pm
Estrucia, you can edit your post if you so desire...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
THIS PC crap that Wallace deserves half the credit is gettin me annoyed.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:57 pm
Just to make things more interesting could you put what option you chose and why?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 07:41 pm
who?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
Anyone who answers the poll question.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
Evolution is nowhere demonstrated by a small population of small people than is the existence of an entire family line of small people. There has to be some linneage established that this was an environmental , or "fish bowl effect" like the small mammoths of Baffin and Pribiloff. the evidence i fossils in Baffin clearly shows that there was a foundation population of wooly mammoths that, through time, began to become smaller and more numerous, until the entire line disappeared about 8000 years ago.
We need much more evidence that can be carefully picked apart before we go making announcements about the "island effect"
Im excited that the find was made, its a start, but hardly one that should draw the conclusion theyve made in the article.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
Homo sapiens is the ANCESTOR of the original poster? What species does the poster claim as his own?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:21 pm
there is a step past homo Sapiens, called homo Sapiens Sapiens, Neanderthals were a type of homo Sapiens, like us very much, but we are still more advanced.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:38 pm
Etruscia - how much are you willing to bet on this?

We take Canadian dollars, don't let that stop you!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:49 pm
Hoft, dont bet, hes right to a point. Its an out of date, but still popular usage in some schools who havent married ttheir paleo and their genetics terminology since genetics has seemingly obviated the need for a subspecies namettag.

etruscia, I remember the subspecies usage from the 70s and then I thought that the h. s. s. was just dropped as Neanderthalensis was considered not a subspecies anymore but an actual species, although I note that some papers still use the term.
Gould did a last shot at the term before he died and, according to him, the H.s was a separate speciattion line from Africa while H n. was populating the mideast and Europe. He claims separate speciation.

we need acquiunk to settle this , Hes a pro
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
There are archaic homo sapiens and modern homo sapiens. homo Sapiens Sapiens are us, modern humans and as to my knowledge began to be disticint about 50, 000 years ago.

Check this site ==> http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo2/modern_humans.htm

If you prove me wrong i wont feel bad, id rather know the real information.

(by the way Hoft smug remarks against Canadians arent needed, were at 83 cents U.S. and still rising)
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:24 pm
Etruscia, believe me I know, I just came back from EU and lived through the humiliation of gettin 0.75 euro for my dollar. Any country that gave us wolves to put in Yellowstone (after we murdered all of ours) has my eternal gratitude - and I've not even started on #99, the great Gretzky, or Bob Mundell, the greatest living economist, now in NY. However if you want Celine Dion back, we'll consider it!
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
Nah, you can keep Celine Dion, shes happy where she is, in exchange well take George Bush. IF you just went huh??? then let me explain, people like George Bush do not last very long in Canada, wed have him chirped out by next week haha, hed be forced to move to Alberta and live as a rodeo clown. (No offence intended if your pro-bush) And get that Acquink guy to confirm my info on homo sapiens)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:05 pm
Whatt I said about the H sapiens is always about language not fact. Tthe term H sapiens sapiens was popular in the 50s as we tried to figure out wHAT tthe neandertthals were. Now that svante Paabo had done a DNA typing of 392 sequences of tthe h N genome, weve been shown that , perhaps H neanderthalensis was , indeed a new species. Thats what Watson said and Gould. Im not one who really gives a ratsass but we endeavor to be as arcane as possible on these lines.
Celine Dion? shes a separate speciies . Did she have a nose job? she doesnt look as she did to me.

Well give you one Bush and a vice president to be named later for a couple Tim Hortons Maple covered donuts. MMMMMMMMM
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Nobody else has any view on the discovery of homo florence??
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:37 pm
My discovery of homo Florence was not a pleasant one, in an area of town I should never have been in...

But seriously, there was another long thread about this, maybe in science and mathematics.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:38 pm
Here it is: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37354
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 04:41 pm
yeh, I still say that, the news media is hyping the evolution connection with no available evidence. In all the articles Ive seen, these could have been a single genetic abberation . Theyve gone and jumped the "wish line" and inferred that this is an example of a type of island dwarfism. There is much work to do before we can publish that. Thats the trouble with news, it sometimes takes discoveries in science to directions that arent really correct. Sory for the nitpickery but Ive seen this kind of stuff too many times before.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
Farmerman - your comment is very, very far from nitpicking in math circles! Pharmaceutical and insurance companies desperately want to know if the new drugs will work on those who can pay for them. Take a look, tell me if this doesn't look like Kofi Annan >>

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/06/images/HsapiensAdultArtCutaFE_med.jpg

>> and then read the link, this guy isn't related to those of us who populate the usual market for pharmaceuticals:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/06/11_idaltu.shtml

Whether we had any connection to the Indonesian hobbits I've no idea, but as far as Asiatics go we're closer to the Japanese than to the Chinese for some reason. Each 10,000-year increment in DNA distance means something concrete in terms of drug effectiveness, depending on the drug, and many of the newest AIDS drugs simply won't work in Africa no matter if they're given out for free. It's over a million-and-a-half DNA years distance.

OK, no more math, but one observation on those hobbits: how far were they from Australian aborigines? How about those Amazon tribes? Going by looks alone here, and I don't know the answer, but if Indonesia's "little people" - widely reported to still live in mountain caves when Dutch and Portuguese navigators arrived - were to appear in real life, would we consider them human?

Please no political correctness, this is a fundamental question to folks struggling daily with petabyte-size databases!
0 Replies