Wild and Scenic Rivers

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:38 pm
American Rivers Wild and Scenic
Encacted in the 60's by Congress, brainstormed in the 70's and still doing its best to save some of the great places in America, The National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act continues on

Quote:

The Wild and Scenic Rivers Act is the strongest statutory tool for protecting natural rivers. Dams are forbidden, inappropriate streamside development can be limited and growth better managed, and essential non-utilitarian values are maintained.

According to the National Park Service's Nationwide Rivers Inventory, more than 60,000 miles of river qualify for inclusion in the Wild and Scenic Rivers System. But today, less than 11,000 miles enjoy such protection.

By contrast, 600,000 miles -- 17 percent of what used to be free-flowing rivers -- now lie stilled behind an estimated 60,000 dams. That is, for every mile of river preserved, our nation has extinguished 65 miles, a profound rate of extinction.

I was pleased to see the river I grew up near listed, and happy to hear that the Salmon are about to return, and Bald Eagles are nesting...and here I had thought it was just good for fishing, swimming and hanging around only Wink

Great website with some wonderful places and things to see and do, lots of information on the Act, and much information I cant even begin to go over but, I thought I would list it here for your pleasure and possible comments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,649 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:27 pm
ooooh, good link Q! The river I paddled on as a kid is there. My favorite rivers from New Mexico are there. I'm sad to see there are so few listed in the SW in general. I guess most of the rivers are all damned up.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 12:38 pm
Yes, I hate to say it but, I enjoy both aspects as my favorite lake is from a dammed river.
I thought it was great to see rivers of my youth as well, nice nostalgia.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
Thanks for the link.
The river I admired last summer in NC is listed there. It is interesting to read more about it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 07:27 pm
Thanks for stopping in ul, glad to hear a river you have nejoyed is amongst those listed.
Entirely too much information but, its not a bad thing. Smile
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:22 am
Some basic Wild & Scenic river facts

Number of rivers designated: 160
Total miles designated: 11,292.1
Miles designated wild: 5,345
Miles designated scenic: 2,445.7
Miles designated recreational: 3,501.4
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:23 am
Wild and scenic mileposts

Key dates in wild and scenic river protection

1957: The Craighead brothers propose a national rivers system in Montana Wildlife

1965: Wisconsin becomes the first state to pass a law protecting wild rivers

1968: The Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in enacted

1973: The American Rivers Conservation Council (now American Rivers) is founded to expand the number of waterways protected by the Act

1980: The Alaska Lands Act adds 25 river segments to the system

1988-90: Wildcat Brook (NH) and Farmington River (CT) become the first rivers in the system to be managed by local entities

1992: The Michigan and Arkansas Omnibus Rivers Acts add a total of seventeen new segments to the river system

1993: The Interagency Wild & Scenic Rivers Coordinating Council is formed.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:32 am
Although I am happy to see good being done, I am a bit nervous and quite a bit perplexed on my feelings for this one:

Quote:
Glen Canyon Dam Facts

Dam Owner: Bureau of Reclamation
Purpose: Hydropower and water storage
Built: 1964
Height: 710 ft
Width: 1,560 ft
Impoundment: 27 million acre-ft
Contact: Jeri Ledbetter, Glen Canyon Institute, (520) 556-9366, The Sierra Club, (415) 776-2211

The Bureau of Reclamation created the Glen Canyon Dam upstream from the Grand Canyon in 1963. Millions are spent each year to maintain the Grand Canyon's river ecosystem and to protect and restore endangered fish. The reservoir is primarily used to store water as insurance against an extended drought.

The Sierra Club advocates draining the Lake Powell Reservoir to restore riverine functions to the Colorado. Full dam removal is not advocated.

Drain Lake Powell??? It took 15 years to fill!!!! They stock the lake with fish, there are a great many outdoorspersons who take advantage of this area in so many ways due to the unique features it offers.
However, my thoughts immediately go to the Indian land that is there as well. On the other side of that , the loss of income for them also.
This is a tough one.
Tis one of my favorite spots on earth though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:06 am
wooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww, that's amazing! Wow wow wow. Wow.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
So, tell me...wow??

Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 11:23 am
heehee
After all the protesting about filling lake powell. After all the archeaology was sunken, after the resort was built around it, after the river has dwindled downstream to bad effect.... after all this, to drain it is amazing. I'd love to see the area after it's drained.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:54 pm
Yeah, and what happens if they do drain it, the negative effects of doing that afterwards <whatever they could be> are so great they figure out that they need to fill it back up again? I mean, they arent taking out the dam, so thats not been proven to be an ill effect Im guessing. I just wonder if the studies downstream even consider what ill effects could come of this and take this into their determinations at all.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:18 pm
Okay, since this became such a bee in my bonnet the last couple of days, Ive been hunting for the information..and

I FOUND IT Smile
ahem..took 18 years BTW to fill Lake Powell, well..I was close.

Anyway....

Quote:
Federal Agencies to Begin Test Flow Release
From Glen Canyon Dam Through Grand Canyon

Salt Lake City, Utah: Experimental water releases from Glen Canyon Dam on the Colorado River above Grand Canyon National Park have received environmental clearances and are now set to begin January 1, 2003. The flows were analyzed in an Environmental Assessment in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act and were found to pose no significant environmental effects.

Three federal agencies including the Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation), the National Park Service (NPS), and the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) jointly prepared the study and have signed the implementing document called a Finding of No Significant Impact. The proposed flows are the result of ongoing studies by scientists from USGS and were recommended by the Adaptive Management Work Group, a federal advisory committee. The experiment is intended to test methods for protecting the ecosystem downstream of the dam.

The news release goes on and gives a great deal of information, and I was happy to see that all those that should be involved, are and will continue to be.
Its a wonderful thing I think.

News Release 12/2002
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:19 pm
excellent! Can't wait to follow the story.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:59 am
It will be interesting.
0 Replies