Seeing any Auroras?

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:42 am
The solar activity has been rather high in the last few days .
http://sec.noaa.gov/NOAAscales
anybody at hig/h latitudes notice any increase in the auroras?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,202 • Replies: 39
No top replies

J-B

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:47 am
no sir!

but what is the definition of "high latitudes" ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 04:56 am
John,
I would define high latitudes as anything N of , say 45 degrees North latitude. That would be the equivalent of say (reaches for ATLAS) a line from the southern border of Mongolia, to Belgrade, to Milan , through N Maine , to Eugene Oregon And Acrozz the Pacific to Saporro. Thats about as close as I can Figure it. We have a lot of Canajuns and at least one guy from Iceland. Hope to hear from the "Ice people"
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
I'm not at a high latitude, but I watched the aurora Sunday night around midnight. It was the first time I've ever been able to see it here in western PA (it was visible once last year but I missed it). Well worth staying up for, even if it was not as spectacular as some of the photos here.

From SpaceWeather.com today:
Quote:
After three days of strong storming, geomagetic activity has subsided. Did you miss the auroras? You might get a second chance tonight if, as expected, another coronal mass ejection hits Earth's magnetic field.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
I stayed up to the wee hours watching Tuesday night. It was spectacular. In the city, we hardly ever get the full spectrum of colour, generally just an eerie green but the movement or spikes were fantastically clear and awe inspiring. Waves and waves of multi-coloured hues were splayed across the heavens. I wish I had my camera. :-(
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
http://www.alberta-canada.com/aed/images/thumbnails/sml-TA2-51_NorthernLights.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:41 pm
Oh great, the weather is closing in for a rainstorm. I miss the aurora from N Canada on cold winter nights. Its bettern tv
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:43 pm
I misread the title and thought there had been another wardrobe malfunction. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:51 pm
I tell ya , I get no respect yaaahhh.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
http://www.alberta-canada.com/aed/images/thumbnails/sml-TA2-51_NorthernLights.jpg

When I was a wee lad I recall seeing such a sight, perhaps even more colorful. That was in the state of Minnesota. And that was also the last time I saw such color, and, as a matter of fact, any color at all.

Now, they're generally just pulses of white light.

Worthy of attention, certainly, but not nearly as impressive as the ones of yesteryear.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
Gus, swamp dude, those are lightning bugs.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:56 pm
They are now, cjhsa...... they are now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:14 pm
i would imagine gus, that you live in an aurora-free zone. did any money exchange hands so that you could see said lights?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:17 pm
I'm sorry I brought up one of my cherished childhood memories, only to have it tarnished by the cruel and insensitive members of A2K.

I must leave now. My heart is heavy.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
I have have never seen an Aurora, when will it be my turn, when-when-when-when, huh?......................... I'm waiting?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:41 pm
I assumed it was the A. borealis -- something woke up the horse around 2am on Tuesday and she was banging around, sure it time for breakfast. We had overcast skies but there was light coming through and it was bright enough, I didn't need a flashlight to feed. In fact, I thought it was early dawn and didn't notice the time 'til I came back in. Went right back outside and oohed & aahed over the glowing clouds for a minute, then went back to bed.

I check the Aurora Borealis watch website every now and then -- did you give a link to that? I'll post it again:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap/
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:42 pm
I think Oldsmobile made an Aurora.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:43 pm
wow an Aurora weather channel
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
Thanks Piffka for the link, I didn't know it existed Smile

I haven't seen the Northern Lights for quite a few years now. I guess cities and even rural areas have become so populated with city lights that sometimes you're lucky enough just to see the night sky.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:56 pm
I've seen the Aurora borealis several times in Alaska. For me the wonder was not the color but the undulating of the curtain like formations. Although I spent a year in Thule, Greenland, I never saw it from there- too far north perhaps.
0 Replies