Now you see it, .......

angie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:53 pm
I understand I should seek help here for technical issues.

Ok.

I used to have a photo under my name but it disappeared.

Also, I just figured out how to get a couple of lines of text displayed under my posts. It worked, and I was delighted. Now, it, too, has disappeared. (It is still on my profile page.)

When things start to go wrong technically, I tend to panic a bit. The evil demons that dwell inside my computer get a kick out of this.

So, anyone have any idea where the stuff went?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,660 • Replies: 22
No top replies

angie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:54 pm

The lines are back !!!

I did nothing and they're back !!

Not funny.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 06:57 pm
Angie, welcome to A2k!
Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:21 pm
Hi Angie, welcome to a2k. Someone with a little more experience will weigh in here and tell you exactly what the problem is. You may want to look at the topic called Avatar Tutorial

The picture under your name is the avatar. If you don't pick an avatar from the a2k collection, you can type in a URL of another avatar or picture from elsewhere on the internet, which is I assume what you did. Maybe the picture you picked was on a site that does not allow linking, or maybe it was too large - there are size restrictions. This has happened to me several times.

As for the lines in your signature disappearing, I haven't heard of that one before, and it has never happened to me. We'll have to wait for an expert to get the story behind that one.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 08:39 pm
Thanks for the help.

The photo I used was one of my own, from my personal photo file. I don't remember how I got it there, but I did, and it seemed to like its new home, for weeks, until just today.

I did look at the tutorial, but it was a little too technical for me.

Perhaps I can just copy and paste the photo somehow? I'll try.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 08:48 pm
This statement is written at the avatar instructions on the Edit Profile page:

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts.

Is this correct? Isn't the avatar the image under the poster's name?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:06 pm
Yes, that is what the avatar is. Does your image show up on your profile page, to the right of that text "displays a small graphic image below your posts..."?

You said "from your personal photo file" - is the "personal photo file" on a website somewhere, like at yahoo or msn, or is the picture on the hard drive of your computer?

If you have to go to a website to get to your personal photo file and your picture, that is probably the problem.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:14 pm
"Does your image show up on your profile page, to the right of that text "displays a small graphic image below your posts..."? "

No. The phrase "current image" is there, but there is no image beside it.

My photo is on my hard drive.

Does that help?

The confusing thing is that I HAD the photo there. It was just fine until I added in the poetry lines for the space below my posts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:37 pm
LarryBS- There is something screwy going on with the avatars tonight. Some are showing, some aren't, including mine. Once there was a problem with offsite avatars that were downloaded from outside servers, 'cause there was a problem with the servers, not A2K. I wonder if this is happening now.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:58 pm
So you "uploaded" the image from your hard drive and it showed on your posts under your name for awhile and is now gone. We are not supposed to be able to upload images as our avatars - we were when a2k first started out, but that ability is supposed to be disabled at this time. So its possible it worked for awhile, but the system eventually deleted it. What you have to do if you want that specific picture as your avatar is to upload it, that is, transfer a copy of it, to an internet photo group. That process would give a URL to the photo (the string of letters starting with "http://www") and you would then copy or type that URL into the "Link to off-site Avatar:" box at the bottom of your profile page.

Do you want to know more, or is this too confusing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:30 pm
I think Phoenix's comment is the most pertinent just now -- a lot of avatars have gone missing. <points leftward> I have mine stored two places, on yahoo albums and lycos, and switch 'em if there's a problem. But I need to go to bed and don't feel like doing that right now, so will do it in the a.m. if there's still a problem.

It happens sometimes, depending on server. (i.e. sometimes yahoo gets goofy, sometimes lycos gets goofy.) I'd guess it's lycos since it's pretty widespread and a lot of people have their images hosted there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:40 pm
OK, rosie's back, but Angie's avatar isn't. Can I ask _when_ you uploaded your avatar, Angie? If it was a while ago, the process has changed, and I suspect that perhaps you did it the old way, and when you re-set (by adding the poetry lines), that erased it. If you go ahead and upload the picture onto the Raven's Realm, for example, then follow directions in the avatar tutorial, you should be fine.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
angie, chances are good that the reason why you didn't see your signature line is that you may have unchecked "include my signature on all posts" (it's worded something like that) the second-to-last time you were in your profile. Then you reversed that (e. g. you checked it) the last time you were in your profile. And so you suddenly now have your sig line again.

As for your avatar, you can't use photos from your hard drive anymore. You need to put them online some place where they are accessible (snapfish, geocities and webshots do not work, and neither do private or restricted sites, but MSN sites do work) and then place the link in your profile page.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
Ah, now I understand about the avatar (I just looked in your profile) - you are linking to an image that has been deleted from the gallery. Just select something else from the gallery, and you should be fine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
Ah! Makes sense.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:11 pm
Thanks to you all.

The problem has been identified: my photo is on my hard drive and not at a web site. I will try what Sozobe suggested i.e uploading the photo to Raven's Realm.

If only all problems were so easily dealt with !

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 02:30 pm
Jsut positive confirmation on the advice given.

The sig was probably just not included on the post where you'd noticed it missing, and the avatar you used was one you uploaded and was deleted from able2know when the avatar process changed.

Before deleting them I saved them and uploaded them to a remote host.

Here is the avatar you were using:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/cravendekere/givesthemback/185b8e253deaa6c8394e5.jpg

And to get it back just paste this URL in the remote avatar field (in your profile):

http://members.lycos.co.uk/cravendekere/givesthemback/185b8e253deaa6c8394e5.jpg
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 02:46 pm
Wow, and thanks!

I understood what the problem was, but had no idea how to fix it.

Thanks again !
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:15 pm
OK, it's gone again.

I did NOTHING to my profile.

?????
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:26 pm
I can see it, angie.
0 Replies