Lithuanians held over fake euros

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:17 pm
Quote:
Lithuanians held over fake euros

Eleven men have been charged in Lithuania with masterminding what is believed to be Europe's biggest ever euro counterfeiting operation.

Police arrested the men on Saturday in a raid on a printing works in Kaunas, Lithuania's second largest city.

Forged banknotes worth at least 9m euros ($11.6m) were seized.

Investigators said the notes were of such high quality that they could not be distinguished from legitimate currency with the naked eye.

'Enormous profits'

The notes seized amount to the total of fake European currency destroyed in the first three months of this year.

Officials believe secret printing presses in Lithuania operated seven days a week, perhaps for several years.

"Profits were enormous," Lithuanian police chief Vytautas Grigaravicius told the AFP news agency.

Many officials suspect other fake euros have already been smuggled into the euro zone and are in circulation, says the BBC's Stephen Paulikas in Vilnius.

Lithuania joined the European Union in May.

It has not yet adopted the euro but is expected to do so by 2006.

Euro notes and coins were introduced in most of western Europe nearly three years ago.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 915 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:23 pm
Oh, now I understand. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought they were kidnapping American tourists, re-educating them, and trying to pass them off as French or something. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Oh, now I understand. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought they were kidnapping American tourists, re-educating them, and trying to pass them off as French or something.

Re-educating? Who educated them where? Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:39 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
Oh, now I understand. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought they were kidnapping American tourists, re-educating them, and trying to pass them off as French or something.

Re-educating? Who educated them where? Laughing

Who knows what secret ex-KGB bases those shifty Lithuanians have annexed since Glasnost....I'll bet they use slideshows of the fjords, and other popular European destinations. Americans respond better to pictures than words.
0 Replies

Dalius

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:36 am
Smile lithuanians control
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm
Looks like the euro has become a serious currency. If it is valuable enough to counterfeit then it is something a lot of people other than members of the EEC must want. I can't spend a $20 dollar bill in the US without the clerk running a special marking pen over it. If the bill is real the mark fluoresces.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
They do the very same here.
0 Replies