Man crosses Australia on kite-powered skateboard

Thok

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:37 am
Adventure Australia:

Quote:
Man crosses country on kite-powered skateboard

A German man has become the first person to traverse Australia from south to north using a kite-powered skateboard.

Dirk Gion left South Australia 17 days ago and arrived in Darwin this afternoon.

Mr Gion says the 3,000-kilometre trip was aimed at proving the kite-powered skateboard could be used to travel long distances.

He says he was inspired by a visit to Australia 20 years ago.

"Twenty years ago I did all around Australia on a dirt bike," he said.

"So I thought the Stuart Highway might be very good for doing this because [there's] no trees, nothing and you can go as long as you want.

"I thought that might be a good idea and nobody has done it before."

Mr Gion says the only real problem he faced was South Australian law enforcement.

He says he encountered two police officers as soon as he left Port Augusta in South Australia.

"They said, 'you can't do this here' so we really were careful and cleared the road when people came," he said.

"Then we had another cop stop us four kilometres before we hit Coober Pedy because two road-trains that passed us at night, I mean this is a strange thing you are in a road train and suddenly here is this thing coming past you, they called on the radio the police.

"And they stopped us again and they took my name and they said, 'you can't do this'. In the Northern Territory, no problem."

Mr Gion says he is now convinced he can use the technology to travel the world.

"I want to bring this all around the world, with this special board," he said.

"Actually now that I saw that you can really go far ways, you can make up to 300 kilometres a day if you have wind with a kite on a board like this, and I want to build a special boat for the water and do it all around the world."

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,586 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:50 pm
And there's a Pom on a penny-farthing crossing the country. What IS it with these people?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:04 am
It looks like a very interesting sport. I had to find a picture to see precisely what a kite powered skateboard looked like.

http://www.doomwheels.com/gallery/kiteskate.php
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:39 am
Bugger this! I am so jaded I will not click on a topic unless it reads "Man Crosses Australia on Skate-board Powered Kite". I require much more bizarre and extreme cross-Australian travel!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:01 pm
we do seem to get more than our fair share of northern hemisphere nutters Confused
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
margo wrote:
nutters

Why? For this person it is a adventure...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 07:39 pm
Thok wrote:
margo wrote:
nutters

Why? For this person it is a adventure...

For this person, it's an adventure. For the rest of us, he's a bloody nutter! A public nuisance! A danger to someone else. Travelling in this manner is not safe on roads where the road-trains go - so much that the drivers reported him to the police. Special arrangements had to be made so that he was safe.

Adventure is all very nice and interesting, as long as it only involves yourself, and/or those who are paid to support you. For example, our navy has had to retrieve a number of solo round the world sailors, who came to grief in the roaring forties. They were adventurers. They weren't Australians, but they cost Australian taxpayers millions of dollars.

Consider the idiot from Japan who decided to cross the Nullabor Desert on a bicycle, and had to be rescued. Adventurer, or public nuisance?

What about the stupid American who "went for a stroll" in the north-western area of Western Australia. He left no clues of his destination, expected time out, destination. etc. The search for him cost millions, took weeks. Adventurer or public nuisance?

This is a harsh country, mostly beyond the knowledge of those from the northern hemisphere. We can't leave them out there to die, so we spend a fortune trying to rescue them. Talk about some village without their idiot!? Evil or Very Mad Of course, they're bloody nutters. Every step should be taken to discourage them.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 07:49 pm
To me, with those wheels, it looks more like a kite powered scooter small baby stroller than a skateboard.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
Here is a wind condition.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
margo wrote : "What about the stupid American who "went for a stroll" in the north-western area of Western Australia. He left no clues of his destination, expected time out, destination. etc. The search for him cost millions, took weeks. Adventurer or public nuisance?" ... happens here in north-america too. just this summer some european visitors went for a "stroll" in one of ontario's provincial parks and promptly got lost. police, dog teams and locals went looking for them ; they later complained that they found that the trails "were not marked very well". people also like go off into the rockies (and other wilderness areas) and expect that they should be rescued - and they quite often complain , if the rescuers are "not prompt". NUTTERS - i agree. hbg
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:21 am
Thanks for the explanation.
0 Replies