Bicycles and Bicycle Racing: their pleasures, discontents, and dangersn

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:16 pm
I mean this thread to appeal to all of us who ever rode a tricycle or bicycle, no matter how well or how badly, for learning how, for pleasure or sport or only means of transportation.

Chris Froome says he was deliberately knocked off bike by hit-and-run driver
• Three time Tour champion posts picture of damaged bike on Twitter
• Froome in training for next month’s Critérium du Dauphiné

I suppose there are millions of bicycle stories out there, waiting to be told, or told again. Roger's story, for example..
I'll post the link to his thread if I can I find it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,084 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I see I made a new word in the title..

Here's the thread re Roger and his bicycle..
He can keep us up to date if he feels like it.

https://able2know.org/topic/95384-1
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:43 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/09/chris-froome-knocked-off-bike-hit-and-run-driver
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 04:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You know, after my stroke last year I haven't ridden once. I just know I would take a fall while trying to dismount. Also, my balance isn't as good as it used to be, though riding doesn't take a great sense of balance.

I haven't forgotten your and Diane's visit to the hospital after that accident. Also the emails, cards and calls from a2k people from as far away as Australia, Canada, and Germany. When I got home, I had something like forty people to reply to, one way or another.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 04:43 pm
@roger,
We three share that, then, you and Diane and I, re balance. She is better at it..
My problem is primarily paving, me the retired landscape architect, specifier and approver, or not, of paving contractors' work for decades..
It's sort of like retribution for any past design sins. On the other hand, Albuquerque is especially odd, and I've been to lotsa places. I think we agree on that, particularly re signage. Re paving, some parking lots are fine and dandy, and some are tricky paving puzzles. I've done some shopping center paving design, and lots of parking design, so I get the hows, but that's not recent.

One of my own bicycle trips was when I went crazy and bought a Motobecane, and then attached it to my rusty old Fiat convertable for a trip down into Baja. I made it through the TJ streets with the car and bike, back and forth. I'm familiar, somewhat, with TJ, friends with family there, but I look back on that as one of my dicey moves.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 04:50 pm
In 1983 my younger older brother decided he was going to be a competitive bicycle racer. He trained really hard while going to college until 1985 when he was hit and killed by a truck. I don't have much call to ride myself.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 05:00 pm
@McGentrix,
McG - I'm sorry to hear that, even now, just a person typing.

RIP
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 08:20 am
Interesting title in Libération:

Le Tour de France tourne en rond (the Tour de France comes back full circle?)
http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2018/07/29/le-tour-de-france-tourne-en-rond_1669645
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:48 am
ISIS Claims Responsibility For Deadly Attack On Cyclists In Tajikistan

July 31, 20185:17 AM ET
SCOTT NEUMAN, NPR

Two Americans are among four foreign cyclists killed over the weekend in the Central Asian country of Tajikistan when a car swerved to hit them and then assailants jumped out of the vehicle and stabbed the victims. The Tajik government accused a banned Islamist party of being behind the attack, and the Islamic State also claimed responsibility.

The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan confirmed the attack, which occurred in Danghara district, about 60 miles southeast of the capital, Dushanbe. The New York Times describes the area as "a picturesque mountain road that has been popular with Western bicyclists for its dramatic and remote scenery in a region close to the border with Afghanistan."

The other two cyclists killed in the attack were from Switzerland and the Netherlands, officials said. None of the four were immediately identified. Three others in the same group survived the attack, including one with a knife wound, officials said.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/634220250/isis-claims-responsibility-for-deadly-attack-on-cyclists-in-tajikistan
0 Replies