New German Hypermarket opened in Moscow

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:53 am
A german supermarket chain opened its biggest hypermarket resently in Moscow:

German AVA Joins City's Retail Race

link to the German website
AVA (in German)

A 'nice' article for further reading

How to capitalize Russia? (How to bring capitalism to Russia)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,878 • Replies: 15
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:02 am
How to capitalize..:
Confidence, credibility, being trusted,..
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:22 am
Good news. German goods are renown for high quality, let Russians enjoy them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:25 am
steissd

Perhaps you read the article? :wink:
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:46 am
I did (the one in English), but I did not refer to affordability of goods. I assume that if the businesses operate and do not get bankrupted they have enough customers that are able to pay for quality goods. Not only the black marketeers and Mafia men can afford themselves shopping. There are enough highly qualified employees that earn much more than the Russian average (it is strongly influenced by low salaries of non-qualified laborers in distant provinces). Abundance of goods characteristic for Moscow does not appear in the peripherial towns, since buying ability of residents there is much lower than this of the dwellers of the industrial and business centers, like Moscow, Leningrad, Sverdlovsk, Gorky, Novosibirsk, etc.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 05:12 am
Ah, sorry, I have missed the FIRST of the articles, having thought that it was in German. Hmm, ninety-five percent of merchandise is of local manufacturers... Does this mean that Russians cannot sell these without assistance of Germany?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:21 am
steissd

This sounds, as if there are no foreign companies in ... e.g. Israel?
We have quite a lot of foreign chaines here in Germay.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 05:44 am
Foreign companies made attempts opening chains here, but they did not succeed. The prices were too high, so they did not gain enough customers. I remember, there were several shops of British "Marx & Spencer", but they were closed. Foreign food chains cannot operate here, since they cannot provide 100 percent of kosher food.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 09:13 pm
hi, walter and all others: if anyone is planning to travel to berlin,germany, i recommend checking www.berlin-tourist-information.de . we'll be going to berlin in april and friends recommended the PALACE HOTEL as a 1st class hotel(*****+). i was quoted a price of euro100 per room/per night incl. breakfast through the berlin tourist site. i thought by going to the hotel directly, i would be able to get a better price. the hotel website quoted a price of "euro225" plus breakfast an extra euro20 per person !!! i phoned the hotel directly and was quoted the price of euro225 AND NO DEALS !! i booked through berlin tourist and got the quoted price of euro100(AND got written confirmation FROM THE HOTEL via e-mail!). i guess it pays to shop around. in all our travels we have never seen such a huge difference in quotes - tried discount sites; they offered no bargains. hope they won't make us sleep in a broomcloset..........is this the right site for this posting?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:59 pm
I find it interesting that the hypermarkets in America are pulling out just as some go to Russia. I wonder what makes that market inviting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 02:08 am
hamburger

You perhaps could quote that to some threads running in the "travel" catagory.

You are very glad to have got this price - I couldn't do so (just trying, of course). Since the hotel really looks very nice and comfortable, it's been a great offer!
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 08:27 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I find it interesting that the hypermarkets in America are pulling out just as some go to Russia. I wonder what makes that market inviting.

I've read that one of Ikea hypermarket in Moscow has over 20 millions customers per year. Every customer spends as average $63. Year turnover more than $100m. I am not sure, it's a big account, but it is not bad!
You can get more info http://www.sptimesrussia.com/archive/times/819/news/b_7844.htm
or
http://www.prime-tass.com/news/65/opened/2003/335328.asp
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 08:49 am
Glorius- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 08:51 am
Well, Ikea expects Russia to become its largest market after Germany and aims to operate 22 stores in Russia in 15 years. (There are now two in Moscow and one to be opened in St. Petersburg)

Ikea's German operation, Ikea Deutschland, is the parent company of the Russian arm and will fund development of Ikea stores in Russia. The investment is expected to amount to several billion US dollars, based on the $250m-plus cost of the store development in Khimky, near Moscow, due to be completed by December 2004.

To give an idea:
IKEA's top five sales countries
Germany 20 %
United Kingdom 13 %
USA 12 %
France 9 %
Sweden 8 %

top five purchasing countries
China 15 %
Sweden 12 %
Poland 10 %
Germany 6 %
Italy 6 %

Welcome to A2K, glorius, btw!
0 Replies

Glorius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 09:55 am
Thank's Walter! Smile
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 09:09 am
For those who never visited Moscow : Russian stores are like wooden sheds full of the same stuff.
Any Russian capitalist (read M) will not open a Russian store, he will buy an imported one.
0 Replies