Locusts - if you can't beat them, eat them

Lenny23

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:47 am
Col Man wrote:
lol Very Happy locusts are kosher Wink now thats funny id never have guessed that Smile
im happy with the spiritual principles of the jewish religion but i wouldnt do kosher and i dont agree with circumcision...
apart from that the rest is fine by me...

When one ignores something, they make a greater 'something' out of it than if they would acknowledge it and fit it into a complete picture. This applies to 'spirituality' as well: if one wishes to be spiritual by lifting above the physical, then this is not complete at all- for after all, G-d did in fact create a physical realm and this is not in vain, Heaven Forbid. To live a full and truly spiritual life one includes the physical in a way that is one with G-d and truly spiritually uplifting for both the person and the physical objects. This is what Kosher is about and is what most any other 'law' dealing with a physical rule.

Regarding circumcision I would recommend you study the source of it and see how vital and important it is to the identity of a Jew. Also, it should be noted that a 'side effect' on the spiritual situation of a person is this: the cutting of the foreskin reminds a person that they are a human being and not an animal, and theat it is in their power to control their urges and desires in a proper way that does not harm themselves and those around them. In addition, the fact that it is done at 8 days and not at an older age with maturity and consent is to give the Jew a lasting impression that he is forced (against his will!) into a bond with his Creator and this bond cannot be broken. It is something that is one with him and not even really his choice- even if he chooses to break the bond on a temporary basis.

Here's a site that I just saw that looks interesting (about Kosher):
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Kosher_Why.htm

PS- Kosher, circumcision and the rest of the 613 commandments are 100% not neccessary for non-Jews, they are commandment for Jews alone. All mankind has their own set of 7 Laws that are called 'The Seven Noahide Laws' which are G-ds directive for all of humanity (in addition to prayer and many other 'optional' things.) There are numerous websites devoted to these Seven Laws as an internet search will bring up... (Though there are opinions that certain Arab tribes and others in the Mideast are in fact required to perform circumcision, being that they descend from the wives of Abraham who was commanded to circumcise.)

Note- It states that Moses was born circumcised to begin with! (Though if this occurs today, we must give a 'prick' so as to 'finalize' it ourselves- for after all, it is OUR commandment and not for G-d to do. Otherwise, why did G-d not just create us ALL circumcised to begin with?)
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:29 am
I have learned more about Judaism from you, Lenny than I have learned my entire life. Truly, thank you for that....

Why did you write G-d instead of God though?

I am very curious about that.....
0 Replies