Locusts - if you can't beat them, eat them

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041106/80/f63f7.html

NICOSIA (Reuters) - In their struggle to cope with an invasion of desert locusts, Cypriot farmers may do well to turn to a U.N. site that counsels if you can't beat them eat them.

Locusts are rich in protein and can be stir-fried, boiled or roasted, is one nugget of information provided by the Rome-based Food and Agriculture Organisation in a drive to help deal with locust swarms that have landed in Cyprus from Africa.

"Here are a few local recipes from locust-affected countries," a page on the FAO Web site says.

"Please send us yours!"

One recipe from a tribe in southern Africa advises grinding roast locust to a fine powder to eat on a journey. "The legs, when dried, are especially relished for their pleasant taste."

"Take several dozen locust adults, preferably females, slit the abdomen lengthwise and stuff a peanut inside," a Cambodian recipe suggested. "Then lightly cook the locusts in a wok or hot frying pan, adding a little oil and salt to taste. Be careful not to overcook or burn them."

Eating locusts has been documented from Biblical times. According to the Christian new testament, John the Baptist survived on locusts and honey when he was in the desert -- even though some question whether it was locusts he actually ate as the Greek name "acridae" can also mean the tips of plants.

The locusts reached eastern Mediterranean countries in early November after the worst infestation recorded in Africa for more than a decade. The FAO website is available at http://www.fao.org/news/global/locusts/LOCFAQ.htm#q19.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,785 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:05 am
Ohhhhhhhh.....I can't do bugs. Fried, wokked, dipped, baked, powdered, jellied, whipped, basted, bbq'd or broiled. ::sigh:: I guess auditioning for Survivor gets crossed off my list now. Confused
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:25 am
Can't recall where or when I read this, but locusts are the only insect that are kosher. The idea is the same, e. g. during a locust plague there isn't any more grain but there's a lot of flying protein.

Doesn't mean I want to try 'em any time soon, though.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:27 am
<putting on list; no drought in Mass. as long as jespah's on no locust-diet>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:43 am
Hmm does this mean I have influence on locust plagues? Here, lemme see if I can part my coffee.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:24 pm
lol Very Happy locusts are kosher Wink now thats funny id never have guessed that Smile
im happy with the spiritual principles of the jewish religion but i wouldnt do kosher and i dont agree with circumcision...
apart from that the rest is fine by me...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:42 pm
Lady J wrote:
Ohhhhhhhh.....I can't do bugs. Fried, wokked, dipped, baked, powdered, jellied, whipped, basted, bbq'd or broiled. ::sigh:: I guess auditioning for Survivor gets crossed off my list now. Confused

Oh I am with you Lady girl! Yuk!!!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:39 pm
Montana,

Let's let someone else do the bugs. You and I shall have cake and tea, on glass tables and fine china, under umbrellas on a freshly mowed lawn, next to a beautiful lake on a perfectly warm summer day, with the butler serving of course! After that, perhaps a game of croquet! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:41 pm
My thoughts exactly Lady J. This cake is simply divine. Would you be up for a horse back ride along the countryside. I could have james saddle them up and bring them along. Snaps fingers, "oh James, please saddle up and bring us my two favorite horses, will you dear". What a beatiful day it is, wouldn't you say?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:57 pm
Absolutely marvelous! And what a splendid treat to have James saddle up the horses. I know of a perfect spot, where the wildflowers simply shimmer in their abundant colour, just waiting for hands to take them home! These are the days so deserved for you and I. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:06 pm
Indeed, you have splendid taste Lady J. What do you think of James, if I may ask? I find him most attractive, heehee. I know that must sound terrible coming from a proper lady, such as myself, but something about James simply takes my breath away. I'm very sorry Lady J, I must be boring you with my silly thoughts. Those Mountains in the distance are absolutely breathtaking. It is truly amazing to see all the beautiful things the world has gifted us with.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
James is a gem! He can ride with us anytime....just in case we might need his assistance in any way, you know. Smile Ahhh, the beauty of nature and good friends. There is no better way to spend a day! Smile

(Montana! You know what is SO ironic? The man I am getting married to next year is named James! Are we on the same wavelength here or what, girl!)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
Well, I am shocked to hear this news Lady J. I don't recall you telling me about you coming marriage and I do say that I am so very delighted that you found your one true love. Oh how I envy the ones who can find such love. A kind of love that completes you and touches the very deepest part of you heart and soul, sigh! I truly wish you and your future husband all the happiness in this world.

I do find it very amusing that your love happens to share the same name as my dear sweet James. Who knows what my future may hold. We could be sitting together having tea one day and both have husbands named James, heehee. Oh listen to me. I can be so very silly at times.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
Oh sweetie, without our dreams, what else do we have? I never in a million years thought I would get married for a second time. In fact I insisted no, No, NO! Never say never and who knows? Actually, you can say never and still who knows! Smile

I know there is someone out there wonderful for you. Maybe where and when you least expect it. You deserve all the happiness you can find in this lifetime. Our "James'" could become the best of friends, as could we and we could all grow old and giggle over how gravity has taken its toll when we turn 90 or so. Smile

I'll keep your happiness in my prayers and I can't thank you enough for all of your sweet wishes. Smile
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
Oh, Montana...if you want to know something about my James, go to the thread that Col Man started about the Vietnamese women on tour in Taiwan searching for husbands....I gave Col Man the scoop when he said, why the heck would you want to get married!!! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:28 pm
I am so deeply touched by your kind wishes. I know I will love again and I wait for the very day my prince charming comes to sweep me away. Until then, I will give in to my lust for James and allow him to fulfill my physical desires. Please don't think badly of me as I am simply human.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:30 pm
Lady J wrote:
Oh, Montana...if you want to know something about my James, go to the thread that Col Man started about the Vietnamese women on tour in Taiwan searching for husbands....I gave Col Man the scoop when he said, why the heck would you want to get married!!! Smile

LOL. Sounds like something he'd say.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
Montana wrote:
I am so deeply touched by your kind wishes. I know I will love again and I wait for the very day my prince charming comes to sweep me away. Until then, I will give in to my lust for James and allow him to fulfill my physical desires. Please don't think badly of me as I am simply human.

I could never think badly of anyone who dreams of love and all that it can bring. Smile I know you will love and be loved as you should be, again as well. Your James awaits with open arms....
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
Montana wrote:
Lady J wrote:

LOL. Sounds like something he'd say.

Col Man is so cute that way, isn't he? Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
Yeah, he's not only cute, but he's very wise as well ;-) Very nice person that Col Man.
0 Replies