Eating meat; did it give us higher intelligence?

Builder

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 05:38 pm
@roger,
Oh gawd, I absolutely detest tofu.

It would indeed, need to be a garden of eden scenario, for survival purposes. If you look at where gorillas feed, it's certainly not out on the savannah.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 02:13 pm
Quote:
A study published last week in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that dietary protein derived from plant sources built muscle just as well as protein from meat sources. However meat also comes with additional components that are harmful to our health, including antibiotic residue, hormones, saturated fat, trans-fats, endotoxins, cholesterol, Neu5Gc, heterocyclic amines and contaminants such as high levels of metals including copper and arsenic. These undesirable elements increase inflammation and promote various diseases thus making meat a less desirable option when building muscle and long term health are considered.

From 2002 to 2005, researchers from the Hebrew Senior Life's Institute for Aging Research and University of Massachusetts Lowell observed the muscle mass, strength, and bone density of 3,000 participants with varied dietary habits in the 17 to 72 age range. They found that while higher protein intake led to better overall musculoskeletal health, the source of dietary protein—plant or animal—was irrelevant. “We know that dietary protein can improve muscle mass and strength,” lead researcher Dr. Kelsey M. Mangano said. “However, until now, we did not know if one protein food source was better than another in accomplishing optimal results.”

And there’s no comparison between animal foods and plant foods when it comes to providing immune-boosting and cancer-fighting nutrients. Animal foods are either exceedingly low or devoid of antioxidants and tend to offer concentrated amounts of individual nutrients, like protein or calcium, while being deficient in many others. By contrast, plant foods are rich in antioxidants and provide a wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and other health-promoting nutrients.

So, from the perspective of increasing longevity, plant-based proteins are superior to meat proteins.

source
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:47 am
"It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."
Albert Einstein

I wonder if he's put the cart before the horse. Does a vegetarian diet produce a more gentle temperament or are people of a more gentle temperament less inclined to eat meat?
Glennn

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 10:01 am
@coluber2001,
A lot of people judge me to be of less than gentle temperament, and yet I less inclined to eat meat.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 11:59 am
@Glennn,
So, are you saying you have a violent temperament but still prefer to not eat meat?
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 12:40 pm
@Builder,
It is worth noting that most of those "harmful" elements are products of feed lot operations, and not inherent components of meat protein sources. It is useful to be skeptical about claims such as that, in which the author seems to be promoting an agenda. This line from your quoted material stands out: "They found that while higher protein intake led to better overall musculoskeletal health, the source of dietary protein—plant or animal—was irrelevant." The clincher, though, is the source: a blog, entitled "riseofthevegan-dot-com." Oh please, don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 12:52 pm
In my estimation humans would never have evolved as far as we have had we not eaten meat. That would have been a stupid decision, to the point that a few years ago I read an argument that the first grain eaters were so malnourished that there is great doubt that humans would have survived had we not learned to raise animals to feed us. I am not totally sold, but close.

These days we have the technology, we could do it now, but I would not want to, and I would be pissed if I were made to. I would consider a meat tax, patterned after carbon taxes and soda taxes....barely.
Glennn

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 04:50 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
So, are you saying you have a violent temperament but still prefer to not eat meat?

If that's what I was saying, then that's what I would have said. But that's not what I said.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 05:21 pm
@Glennn,
You said people say you don't have a gentle temperament but don't eat meat.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 08:35 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:

I said that I was judged to of less than gentle temperament; a far cry from having a violent temperament.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:02 pm
But yes, I still prefer to not eat meat.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2017 10:57 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

But yes, I still prefer to not eat meat.

For philosophical or physiological reasons?
Builder

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 08:45 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is worth noting that most of those "harmful" elements are products of feed lot operations, and not inherent components of meat protein sources.

Meaning feedlot operations intentionally dose their end products with harmful chemicals? I thought they just gave them grain.

Quote:
"They found that while higher protein intake led to better overall musculoskeletal health, the source of dietary protein—plant or animal—was irrelevant."

Which is not exactly a vegan-oriented opinion, right? If the source is irrelevant, the author is undecided.

Quote:
Oh please, don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

See above. It would be nice to have non-industry-funded "science" to back any claim, and if you scope the OP, I mention my partner going raw vegan, so the source is legitimate.

She's on day 22 of a raw juice fast/feast, and describing feelings of euphoria on occasion. It's not a starvation routine, because she's almost constantly sipping away at some concoction or other, and looking vividly healthy, I might add.
Builder

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 09:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In my estimation humans would never have evolved as far as we have had we not eaten meat.

Looking at most western humans, I wouldn't say we're still evolving at all. Hearing recently that a certain percentage of the populace believes that chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

In fact, in my estimation, if you asked the average western human to slaughter and process a cow, or sheep, or goat, they either wouldn't have a clue, or would be so grossed out, they'd go find a loaf of bread to eat.

Kolyo

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 09:34 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
if you asked the average western human to slaughter and process a cow, or sheep, or goat, they either wouldn't have a clue, or would be so grossed out, they'd go find a loaf of bread to eat.

And you wouldn't believe how many jobs my inability to slaughter cows has cost me!

What is the world coming to?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 09:52 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

And you wouldn't believe how many jobs my inability to slaughter cows has cost me!

You're right. Smile
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:26 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
What is the world coming to?

Here's the clincher, though, Kolyo; we bang on about how advanced we are, when most people have trouble understanding how to set up a simple solar water purifier.

If not for google, or youTube, where would most people today get any info?

Shut down the grid, and turn off the fuel supply, and what do you predict would happen?

0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 07:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
For philosophical or physiological reasons?

Both.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 07:26 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Hearing recently that a certain percentage of the populace believes that chocolate milk comes from brown cows

Holy crap! How out of touch with reality does one have to be to not know that chocolate milk is the result of including Hershey's cocoa in the cows' feed the day before milking?
Roberta

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 10:26 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn, Chocolate syrup the day before milking is only part of the procedure. The cows also have to be shaken up and down to get the chocolate and the milk to combine.