POSSIBLE EVIDENCE THAT H.(??) LIVED IN CALIFORNIA 130,000 ybp

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 04:12 pm
@Foofie,
I think they found a mastodon marrow cookbook along side of the find.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 04:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
(As) I understood, it wasnt the Coleville res folks who were the intractable ones. It was the several groups of "Celts and Druid believers" who were moreso.

What I remember was a Native American who said that his tribe's religion says that their people had always been in this land, and insisted that therefore there was no need for any science to investigate any ancient remains.

I was not curious enough to learn which tribe this guy was from (I do recall hearing that there were several different Native American tribes involved).

I was horrified. Imagine if a Xtian fundamentalist had used the story of Adam and Eve as justification for trying to destroy scientific data about ancient human remains.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 06:49 pm
@oralloy,
sort of the "first anti-science guys" eh?
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:03 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Imagine if a Xtian fundamentalist had used the story of Adam and Eve as justification for trying to destroy scientific data about ancient human remains.

Are you shittin me? Just read some of gungas dumass posts .Perhaps you need to recall Edwards v Aguillard or Kitzmiller v Dover. Xtian Fundamentalism had disallowed the teaching of biological evolution well into the 1950, when the last of the Butler Acts were reversed.Then, in the 1970;s, Louisiana tried to repackage Fundaamentalism as "Scientific Creationism" and in the 1990's as "Intelligent Design".
Then we elected a president in 2000 who wanted to give equal time to religious views of origins of life on earth, to be taught as BIOLOGY.

Congress had cobbled a majority of votes and in 1990 George H W Bush signed the Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act. This was a payback to tribes in response to the way that Amerind burial sites had been desecrated in the past by looters and "Scientists"
I dont see why youve got an issue.

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
sort of the "first anti-science guys" eh?

I don't understand.

Edit: Oh wait. A play on "First Nations"?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Are you shittin me? Just read some of gungas dumass posts .

I read a lot of his posts. I don't follow every thread of course, but I certainly see all of his posts in the threads that I do read.

I've never seen him advocate the destruction of priceless scientific data.

I do not concur with your characterization of his posts.

farmerman wrote:
Perhaps you need to recall Edwards v Aguillard or Kitzmiller v Dover. Xtian Fundamentalism had disallowed the teaching of biological evolution well into the 1950, when the last of the Butler Acts were reversed.Then, in the 1970;s, Louisiana tried to repackage Fundaamentalism as "Scientific Creationism" and in the 1990's as "Intelligent Design".
Then we elected a president in 2000 who wanted to give equal time to religious views of origins of life on earth, to be taught as BIOLOGY.

Bad teaching is certainly undesirable. But it's not nearly as bad as the outright destruction of priceless data.

farmerman wrote:
Congress had cobbled a majority of votes and in 1990 George H W Bush signed the Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act. This was a payback to tribes in response to the way that Amerind burial sites had been desecrated in the past by looters and "Scientists"

Until this disastrous law is abolished, the scientific community needs to set up an underground network to hide ancient human remains from the government.

farmerman wrote:
I dont see why youve got an issue.

I'm just appalled at the destruction of priceless scientific data.
Blickers

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:21 pm
@oralloy,
I've read a little on this, and the Native Americans' position is the Westerners came and reduced the Native population by 90%. Then they take the Natives' ancestral graves, dig them up without permission, and in many cases stashed the remains in various universities and museaums for all time, many before they even were studied thoroughly. From the Native Americans' point of view, they have the right to stick up for their deceased ancestors and see that they are treated respectfully. I don't see anything wrong with that principle.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:28 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:
I do not concur with your characterization of his posts
So you concur with the content of his posts regarding evolution??.
So Why bother saving any "scientific samples for future study then? You and gunga already have all the answers you need.
You are kinda dancing on the railroad tracks.Gunga consistently denies any scientific value in doing radioisotope dating (Unless its C14 analyses of 65 million year old silica fossils--). HEs set himself up as having expertise in radioisotope dating. So in effect, he countenances the destruction of scientific inquiry out of pure unabashed ignorance. Perhaps hes a Lysenkoist.
I think youre just backing him because he thinks like you re: gun ownership, so you cut him slack on everything he says.

Not a very intelligent stance OYB.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:55 pm
@Blickers,
Heres a clip from the WIKI article on NAGPRA. I recall the Slack Farm looting and how Native American Remains were treated.

Quote:
The late 19th century was one of the most difficult periods in Native American history in regards to the loss of cultural artifacts and land. With the founding of museums and scholarly studies of Native American peoples increasing with the growth of anthropology and archeology as disciplines, private collectors and museums competed to acquire artifacts, which many Native Americans considered ancestral assets, but others sold. This competition existed not only between museums such as the Smithsonian Institution (founded in 1846) and museums associated with universities, but also between museums in the United States and museums in Europe. In the 1880s and 1890s, collecting was done by untrained adventurers. As of the year 1990, federal agencies reported having the remains of 14,500 deceased Natives in their possession, which had accumulated since the late 19th century. Many institutions said they used the remains of Native Americans for anthropological research, to gain more information about humans. At one time, in since discredited comparative racial studies, institutions such as the Army Medical Museum sought to demonstrate racial characteristics to prove the inferiority of Native Americans.[7]

Maria Pearson[edit]
Maria Pearson is often credited with being the earliest catalyst for the passage of NAGPRA legislation; she has been called "the Founding Mother of modern Indian repatriation movement" and the "Rosa Parks of NAGPRA".[8] In the early 1970s, Pearson was appalled that the skeletal remains of Native Americans were treated differently from white remains. Her husband, an engineer with the Iowa Department of Transportation, told her that both Native American and white remains were uncovered during road construction in Glenwood, Iowa. While the remains of 26 white burials were quickly reburied, the remains of a Native American mother and child were sent to a lab for study instead. Pearson protested to Governor Robert D. Ray, finally gaining an audience with him after sitting outside his office in traditional attire. "You can give me back my people's bones and you can quit digging them up", she responded when the governor asked what he could do for her. The ensuing controversy led to the passage of the Iowa Burials Protection Act of 1976, the first legislative act in the United States that specifically protected Native American remains.

Emboldened by her success, Pearson went on to lobby national leaders, and her efforts, combined with the work of many other activists, led to the creation of NAGPRA.[8][9] Pearson and other activists were featured in the 1995 BBC documentary Bones of Contention.[10]

Slack Farm and Dickson Mounds[edit]
The 1987 looting of a 500-year-old burial mound at the Slack Farm in Kentucky, in which human remains were tossed to the side while relics were stolen, made national news and helped to galvanize popular support for protection of Native American graves.[11][12] Likewise, several protests at the Dickson Mounds site in Illinois, where numerous Indian skeletons were exposed on display, also increased national awareness of the issue.[13]

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:15 am
Science Friday had an interview with the authors of the Nature Article. I think they did a good job of presenting their evidence.

One of the challenges to the evidence that I heard was that radial/spiral fractures of bones (elephant bones were used as an example), can also be caused by trampling as well as impacts. Also it was noted that scrape marks and cut marks and sharp stone tools normally associated with a butchery site were not present at this site. The answer from the authors to that challenge was that they didn't believe this site was being used for butcher, but more as a quarry for gathering bits of bones themselves. The root of this challenge is essentially a comparison of what is normally found in European sites of this age, with this site.

Nobody in the interview had a strong opinion about exactly what type of Hominid was at this site. And nobody was questioning the age of the site.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:27 am
@rosborne979,
so, we have some other possibilities. "Trampled by other elephants theory.".
I like the "Trampled by elephants hypothesis". It presents an option that must be addressed before jumping to looong conclusions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 07:32 am
Some of you will recall when the Shroud of Turin was dated and found to be only about 700 years old that the religious crowd who'd hoped for a different result offered up various explanations why the test had "failed". My favorite was - Because we don't know what energies are involved in an ascention up to heaven, we can't know how those energies might influence the radio-carbon findings.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
So you concur with the content of his posts regarding evolution??.

I do not pay much attention to evolution arguments.

But if you do, and if you disagree with something he says, this disagreement could certainly be expressed politely I think.

farmerman wrote:
So Why bother saving any "scientific samples for future study then? You and gunga already have all the answers you need.

Because I want to know what the scientists have to say about human origins.

farmerman wrote:
You are kinda dancing on the railroad tracks.Gunga consistently denies any scientific value in doing radioisotope dating (Unless its C14 analyses of 65 million year old silica fossils--). HEs set himself up as having expertise in radioisotope dating. So in effect, he countenances the destruction of scientific inquiry out of pure unabashed ignorance. Perhaps hes a Lysenkoist.

I have no idea what a Lysenkoist is.

If you disagree with something he says, my recommendation is to quote whatever you object to, and then underneath politely explain why you think it is wrong.

farmerman wrote:
I think youre just backing him because he thinks like you re: gun ownership, so you cut him slack on everything he says.

He is indeed one of the good guys.

But if I saw something I wanted to disagree with/expound on/whatever, I'd quote his words and then add my thoughts.

farmerman wrote:
Not a very intelligent stance OYB.

I just prefer polite disagreement over brawling.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Some of you will recall when the Shroud of Turin was dated and found to be only about 700 years old that the religious crowd who'd hoped for a different result offered up various explanations why the test had "failed". My favorite was - Because we don't know what energies are involved in an ascention up to heaven, we can't know how those energies might influence the radio-carbon findings.

I saw an interesting documentary on that. They presented a case that the shroud is the world's first photograph.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:55 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
I've read a little on this, and the Native Americans' position is the Westerners came and reduced the Native population by 90%. Then they take the Natives' ancestral graves, dig them up without permission, and in many cases stashed the remains in various universities and museaums for all time, many before they even were studied thoroughly. From the Native Americans' point of view, they have the right to stick up for their deceased ancestors and see that they are treated respectfully. I don't see anything wrong with that principle.

The problem is that they are trying to destroy priceless archaeological data.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 09:00 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
My favorite was - Because we don't know what energies are involved in an ascention up to heaven, we can't know how those energies might influence the radio-carbon findings.

That's a great one. We could even expand that to cover everything, like this: "We don't know what energies are involved with magic, and those energies might have affected our ability to perceive reality". Case (and minds) closed.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 09:36 am
@oralloy,

Quote Blickers:
Quote:
From the Native Americans' point of view, they have the right to stick up for their deceased ancestors and see that they are treated respectfully. I don't see anything wrong with that principle.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The problem is that they are trying to destroy priceless archaeological data.

Following that reasoning, the Nazis were on the right track performing painful and even fatal experiments on unwilling people. Think of all the knowledge gained! But this experimentation is rightly condemned.

Besides, taking possession of human remains is a fundamental concern worldwide. Whenever the police solve a murder, they keep pumping the perp for where the body is buried so the family can give the person a dignified end. The Native Americans are doing the same thing.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 11:43 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Following that reasoning, the Nazis were on the right track performing painful and even fatal experiments on unwilling people. Think of all the knowledge gained! But this experimentation is rightly condemned.

There is a considerable difference between "inflicting pain and death on living people" and "examining remains from thousands of years ago".

Blickers wrote:
Besides, taking possession of human remains is a fundamental concern worldwide. Whenever the police solve a murder, they keep pumping the perp for where the body is buried so the family can give the person a dignified end.

There is a considerable difference between "immediate family" and "remains from thousands of years ago".

Blickers wrote:
The Native Americans are doing the same thing.

I used to think that colonialism was wrong. But now I've come to understand that civilized people do in fact know better than uncultured savages.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 02:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think they found a mastodon marrow cookbook along side of the find.

It might have been the big hit at the neighborhood cave potluck dinner.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 02:36 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

...Following that reasoning, the Nazis were on the right track performing painful and even fatal experiments on unwilling people. Think of all the knowledge gained! But this experimentation is rightly condemned...

Something might be wrong with this analogy, if one values live humans, over dead artifacts?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:38:10