Australia's Aborigines lose political voice

Col Man

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041105/325/f60n3.html

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australia's Aborigines have lost their only voice in parliament.

Although 23 indigenous candidates ran in Australia's October 9 national elections, none was successful and the only sitting black senator, Aden Ridgeway, lost his seat, electoral officials announced this week.

The loss of a black political voice comes on top of the strained relationship between Aborigines and Prime Minister John Howard's conservative government, which has refused to apologise for historical injustices against Aborigines.

The failure of Aborigines at the ballot box has prompted calls for race-based seats for Aborigines to give a parliamentary voice to one of the most disadvantaged groups in Australia.

"The need for an indigenous connection to the parliamentary process is absolutely imperative," said Aborigine Patrick Dodson, one of Australia's most respected black leaders.

"It can be done by either dedicated seats, or by the parties pre-selecting Aboriginal candidates, or by Aboriginal people themselves forming some kind of party with a broad-based alliance," Dodson told Reuters in an interview.

Reserved seats are available for Maoris in New Zealand, while Sweden, Norway and Finland have separate assemblies for the indigenous Sami people. Canada's newest territory, Nunavut, has a government that is predominantly indigenous Inuit.

But Indigenous Affairs Minister Amanda Vanstone said Australia would not introduce race seats.

"I'm not in favour of indigenous-specific seats, nor am I a supporter of such models for any specific group," Vanstone said.

Australia has about 450,000 Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders, accounting for about 2.5 percent of the population, but they live at a serious disadvantage, with Aborigines likely to die 20 years earlier than other Australians.

The government has targeted practical measures to improve health and education, but remains at loggerheads with black leaders over spiritual issues, such as a formal apology for past injustices and cultural ties to the land.

Howard has axed the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission, which was responsible for delivering services to black communities, saying the experiment in an elected black body had failed because of its failure to improve living standards.

Aborigines have had voting rights since 1901, but only two have been elected to the national parliament, Ridgeway and Neville Bonner, who was a senator from 1971 to 1983.

No Aborigine has ever sat in parliament's lower house, the House of Representatives, where the government is formed.

Ridgeway, who will leave parliament after six years when his term ends on June 30, 2005, warned of the lack of a voice on indigenous issues if no Aborigine sits in parliament.

"I think that there's a special obligation to keep raising issues on the national agenda, otherwise it would become the great Australian silence," Ridgeway told Reuters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 775 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:02 pm
oh great.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:06 am
<sigh>
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:35 am
Arrrggghhhh!!! That irks me greatly. Sad So much so that even after 10 minutes of pondering your post, I could not think of one darn thing to say other that just Arrrrgggghhhh!!!! Sad Mad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:48 am
Damn - I thought there had been a couple of successful candidates?

Hmmm - must have mistaken the fact that the ultra-conservative, christian fundamentalist group, Family First, had an aboriginal woman among its top candidates.

I can't believe Ridgeway lost his seat!!

Thinking of the dedicated seat thing - not sure how effective that would be - since aboriginal people are such a tiny percentage of the population - there are proportionately way more Maoris.

Lots of human service organisations are now dedicating 20% of their budgets to aboriginal people (much, MUCH greater than their proportion in the population) - I wonder if such a thing would work with pre-selection amongst parties for seats?

I doubt the conservatives would go for it - I wonder if Labor would over, say, 20 years? And the Greens?

Such a requirement would NEVER become law under the current conservative government, who have run a lot on a covertly racist platform.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:53 pm
hmm
0 Replies