UNCOVER THE "LAND DOWN UNDER"

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:50 am
Australia a featured exhibit at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Fort Worth, Texas. Will be there Sunday afternoon for an exciting adventure via film. Have any of you in Oz seen this yet?

My first choice for a topic subject was Uncover the Bunny Down Under; however, after thinking about it, well ... .

Link to Australia: Land Beyond Time

http://www.fwmuseum.org/MusmGifs/australia.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,506 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:20 pm
Hi JD, Interesting forum, considering there are several already active on that land down under. The two things I missed in the land of Oz were koalas and kangaroos, but we did visit a bird sanctuary with all kinds of tropical birds and animals. Otherwise, the people are great, the food is fantastic (at down to earth prices), excellent wines, and great tourist sites, such as the rain forest, the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and its environs, and probably Melbourne and Brisbane (the two places I missed, and shouldn't have). I'll bookmark to see what others offer to this forum. c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 02:06 am
Sorry, JD - I missed this!

I haven't seen this programme, but, as I've always said, Australia is different.

There are great things to see and do and eat and drink. The size of the country is a real issue - Oz is almost the same size as mainland USA, but with less than 20 million people, and we're mostly clinging to the eastern coast!

I can certainly suggest places where you can see these animals in the wild - but they're not near the cities - you'll havee to travel. I've spoken previously of one of my favourite places, a beach on the south coast, about 5 hours drive from Sydney, where the kangaroos have right of way, and you have to walk through them to get to the water - great fun. There's spectacular birds there, as well. Indeed, the kangaroos and the birds ganged up on me and tried to steal my caramel slices. And those roos were taller than I was - a bit frightening! Smile This is a national park. The animals aren't fenced in - they're just there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 04:36 am
Joanne

No, I haven't seen it either, sorry ... But the link made it sound fascinating.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 04:56 am
The show is quite popular and has gotton good reviews in the local newspapers. I enjoyed it vey much lots of fun.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 04:59 am
Joanne:

Most interesting insight or moment?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:09 am
There were so many. The biggest impact really was the size of Australia and the diversity of the people and the land and climates. Y'all are quite cultured and special people.

Of course the animal were highlighted it is amazing and the mystery of dingo fascinated me. I know I will just love it when I come in 2004, I already have a seprate savings account for my trip. Which reminds me I better check that thread and see where the plans stand.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:23 am
Joanne

Yes, it's a huge place with a relatively tiny population. It's funny that (despite all the ever-present outback images in any documentary about Oz) by far the majority of us are urban dwellers, living in such concentrated areas, mainly along the eastern coast.

What I love about Oz is that it's growing & changing all the time. People from everywhere on earth make their home here & that makes for an exciting culture.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 06:43 am
JoanneDorel wrote:
There were so many. The biggest impact really was the size of Australia and the diversity of the people and the land and climates. Y'all are quite cultured and special people.

Of course the animal were highlighted it is amazing and the mystery of dingo fascinated me. I know I will just love it when I come in 2004, I already have a seprate savings account for my trip. Which reminds me I better check that thread and see where the plans stand.

If you're going to be around Sydney, I want to know. :wink:
0 Replies