Will France follow Britain out of the EU?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 01:17 pm
@Lash,
The BBC reports it correctly: he says nothing about France leaving the EU.

[I don't see ads due to my ad-blocker.]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 01:28 pm
En Marche now at 32.7%.
Lash

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 01:43 pm
Your ad-blocker seems to have blocked Macron's comments as well.

Olivier5

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Macron is getting a stronger majority in parliament than expected.

The stars are aligning themselves in the sky for this guy.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:19 pm
@Lash,
He is saying that if the EU won't be reformed, Le Pen could get elected next time around, with a frexit platform. He is not saying that he, Macron, will seek a frexit.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:24 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm really surprised that this happens already in the first round and despite the rather low attendance. (And I'd feared an even higher result for FN.)

http://i.imgur.com/ahsGqRQ.jpg
Olivier5

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 02:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
These are still projections. but the whole electoral system is geared to this sort of result: a parliamentary election scheduled just after the presidential one, to give the new president a majority; a voting system for MPs that decimates the small parties... Plus many of the electors of Le Pen and Mélanchon didn't turn up to vote (despair or fatalism), and Macron co-opted both LR and PS candidates, thus emptying these parties of any clear platform and momentum. Macron was quoted worrying about too large a majority, harder to control. Many of the new MPs are neophytes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 03:57 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

He is saying that if the EU won't be reformed, Le Pen could get elected next time around, with a frexit platform. He is not saying that he, Macron, will seek a frexit.

Yes. My comment isn't inconsistent with yours above, although one from pre-election may have been.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 01:42 pm
You have to give it to us French: we do loosing better than anybody else. And the elections have brought some spectacular crashes, none as entertaining as Henri Guaino's. Former Sarkozy speechwriter Guaino ran in his party's presidential primaries and lost to François Fillon, who went on to his own spectacular crash as the LR candidate in the recent presidential election....

Guaino decided to run for MP as an independent in Paris 2nd electoral district. He received less than 5% of votes which is more than just humiliating: he lost serious money too because campaign expenses are reimbursed by the French state ONLY for candidates who make more than 5%...

On BFMTV, he explained why he lost: the electorate in the 2nd district "makes me puke"... "Between the bobos on the one hand, who live in their own world (...) and then there is the kind of traditional right-wing bourgeoisie, the one going to mass, sending its children to Sunday school, and then they votes for a guy who for thirty years has managed to cheat [the Republic] by all means possible" (referring to Francois Fillon)."

To this amalgam of voters who revulse him, he added others who would have a "Petainist" fiber. He then announced his withdrawal from political life.

He later clarified that "he wasn't speaking of those who voted for him"...

Mind you, they're easy to forget, cause there's so few of them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 01:51 pm
http://a401.idata.over-blog.com/0/24/69/47/photos-a-partir-du-31-aout/vomir-france.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:10 pm
Only about 42% voted in the second round today.
The prediction is: between 395 and 425 députés for Macron's party. (FN might get four to six. [Marine Le Pen is elected in Pas-de-Calais, she said to AFP].)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 05:18 am
European businesses euphoric after Macron legislative win.

https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/images/print-edition/20170617_WBC069.png

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21723432-emmanuel-macrons-arrival-scene-has-transformed-mood-corporate-europe-giddy?zid=307&ah=5e80419d1bc9821ebe173f4f0f060a07
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 06:39 am
Looks like Macron has attracted great confidence from business and has swept seats in parliament.

Watching what he does with it.

France, the US, and the U.K. have, each in their own ways, sent their first volleys against the neoliberalist status quo. It's a global upheaval, and the results are varied. It continues to be a fascinating global shift to watch as it unfolds. France may have a chance to avoid the comparative trauma the US and U.K. are suffering. My hopes are that Macron can walk that tightrope that will serve the people without a Trump or Frexit moment.

We're all learning the path out of the current unacceptable mess from each other. Wishing France and Macron success.

Your success seems to be very closely tied to the veracity and skill of one man-- unless some of his fresh-faced party members are bringing surprising skills.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/18/15821552/macrons-en-marche-sweeps-french-parliament
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 07:05 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
France, the US, and the U.K. have, each in their own ways, sent their first volleys against the neoliberalist status quo.
At least France voted a neoliberal as president - might well be that the députées and députés think and act differently.
Lash

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 07:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Macron acknowledged the dissatisfaction of a great number of his constituency, and vowed to address their issues with Merkel (the EU)...

Watching to see
1. If he does
2. If it's meaningful or lip service
3. The results

A little old, but relevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-big-idea/2017/5/5/15550160/le-pen-macron-presidential-race-europe-center
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Macron acknowledged the dissatisfaction of a great number of his constituency, ...
In his constituency, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage, the Conservatives (Les Républicains) won the seat (50,42 % - 49,58 % for La République en marche).
Macron, of course, wasn't a candidate in the élections législatives de 2017.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:44 am
You go to such lengths for pseudo-victories...

Macron's constituency: France

Goofball.

But lemme give you one, you try so hard.

YAY WALTER!!! You're AWESOME!!! 😁 🏆🏅
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/801662/French-election-results-map-how-France-voted-President-Emmanuel-Macron-Marine-Le-Pen/amp
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:56 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
France is divided into 577 constituencies (circonscriptions) for the election of deputies to the lower legislative House, the National Assembly

Circonscriptions législatives françaises

Voting system and elections in France
Lash

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you arguing about this word to avoid the fact that Macron vows to force Merkel to bend on some of the harsher EU edicts?

Don't fret too much. He may have been lying. We'll see.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Are you arguing about this word to avoid the fact that Macron vows to force Merkel to bend on some of the harsher EU edicts?
You wrote:
Macron acknowledged the dissatisfaction of a great number of his constituency, ...

And you wrote:

I responded to that.

I don't know if and when Macron vowed to force to bend on some of the harsher EU edicts.
Besides that, I don't know what you mean by the term "EU edict".

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:45:38