¿The Tastiest TexMex food?

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:00 pm
What makes the best burritos?
What are the best kinds of tacos?

Where can you get the best TexMex style food?

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
My favorite tacos are carnitas, with just a little pico de gallo (hold the cilantro), a sprinkle of cheese, and a squeeze of lime.

For me, with burritos, less is more - just some beans and cheese, maybe a little carne asada, add some tomitillo salsa and I'm done.

I haven't found very good Tex-Mex up here but my favorite dish is cheese enchiladas topped with chili con carne.
roger

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:31 pm
@boomerang,
Chili con carne is great as a topping. I have used it atop cheese omelets, though that might be a little outside a strict definition of TexMex.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:50 pm
The best places to get it are the taquerias in Texas. It's all not just good, but fantastically wonderfully stupendous in its goodness great.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:55 pm
Texas? Where's that?
Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Turn slightly right from Albakoiki.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:17 pm
I'm (of course) likely to like the food, the states being sort of cousins; there are differences, I take it, about the matter of which hot peppers are bestest.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 06:09 pm
Another delicious thing I used to see at many Mexican restaurants in Texas that I never see here is queso fundido/flameado.

It's a baked cheese dish with peppers, onions and chorizo, sometimes served flaming. Divine!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 08:23 pm
Obviously you get the best TexMex in Austin, Tx, duh.

I like Maudies Tex Mex. There's a location within walking distance from my house.

I've had the Tamales El Jefe and the Rockin' Ruthann, because I liked the names.

http://www.maudies.com/

I also like the Texican Cafe, which is maybe a mile and a half away.

There I've enjoyed the Shrimp Enchiladas Cozumel

http://texicancafe.com/Texican_menu.pdf
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 06:45 am
Huddersfield.

http://gringos-restaurant.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/newslid1a.jpg

Failing that, you can always listen to this top internet chef.

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:29 am
@izzythepush,
Rudi Mxa said, in one of his shows, that ENglish food has gotten almost edible but Im sorry, I dont wanna try any of that.
UP ON SANDIA BACKSIDE DWELLINGS.
Ive found tex-mex "home" main dinners were always meat , a sauce carrier. All are on a tortilla covered with the local fixins (including a variation on a mole every so often-even though mole is more Michacauna {home of the monarch butterfly}. Then the whole thing gets topped witha great big steamed sandia chili and covered finally with 2 fried eggs.
DEEEELISHUS

Houston is as much a BBQ haven as anywhere, so Im not listing it as one of the best tex mex places.

All those years I went to Austin I never ate off one of the food trucks and Im learning it ll for a "bucket food list".

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:45 am
@farmerman,
You watched the video then? I don't think anyone actually watches it for cooking tips. I think you're the first.

Of course there's absolutely no truth in the rumour that Americans don't get irony.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 04:37 pm
@izzythepush,
When it came to Brit food , Ive actually been served by that woman.
Actually it was Rudy Maxa who said that today's British cuisine is almost edible. Perhaps YOU missed the irony in Mr Maxa's line.

PSW you dont invent irony, your people are given a choice of one of three things

1good dental hygiene
2a national cuisine
3irony

looks like ya got numbr three. You run with that and feel proud, because even though you have nothing worth eating, you are the ones to tell the world that all Brits consider salt a topping .
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
pot smoking whore? I had to look it up. Or, maybe Pacific south west?

I was a foodie before foodie was a word, and I remember a lot of knocks on British food in my reading, but then a fair portion of that was reading US food writers. I've also picked up, for maybe decades now, articles about good restaurants there with good chefs. Maybe when my ship comes in I can take meself on my own tour.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 07:14 pm
Meantime, I've secured on my counter a bunch of stuff for burritos, some of all that from the freezer. Once I get going on it (long glass plate, some canola on it), I move along. My burrito making involves the fridge and the freezer.

Today's list (and which would you put together, if you want to play) -

farro, already cooked
quinoa, already cooked
homemade hummus from freezer container
jar of sauteed mushrooms and eggplant, including skin
previously cooked lentils (green?), a bit spiced up
oven roasted balsamic red onions (freezer)
wildly good caramelized spanish onions (Russ Parson's recipe)
steamed broccoli, deflowered and spiced up
whatever sausage is languishing in the refrigerator
And, local flour tortillas. I do like corn tortillas, especially real ones tossed for you, but not for this - but that's me.
I'm such a snot.

Re TexMex? I'm not even Abq Mex, don't eat out much. California Mex? I remember Mexico, mostly well. Not enthused re CA chain places.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 03:48 am
@ossobucotemp,
I dont know where you quoted me saying "pot smoking whore", thats not my style.

I never thought of mushrooms on burritos. Ill have to ak Caeser, down at our Taqueria. We live in the fresh mushroom capital of the planet and we usually have side dishes of vaariou mushrooms as a way to jack up the flavor

Enjoy the holidays.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 05:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

When it came to Brit food , Ive actually been served by that woman.

That's your problem right there. Do you know that if you're actually prepared to wear a shirt there's some quite nice places you can go where you won't be served by people like that? Might be something to bear in mind next time you're thinking of leaving Trumpton.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 08:43 am
To get almost physically ill is to wander into a Taco Bell and order a burrito. It's like they filled a big white tortilla from the garbage disposal and tried to disguise it all with a huge dollop of sour cream.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 08:54 am
@farmerman,
You used the letters PSW. I looked them up on, I think, both urban dictionary and google. Pot smoking whore and pacific south west showed up first.
You get this kind of thing when you use acronyms.. if people don't know what you mean and have to look them up. I know pot smoking whore isn't your style; last thing I'd expect you to say. I was trying to jog you to tell what you meant by the letters.

and, yes, enjoy the holiday. It'll be a quiet day on my street..
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 09:25 am
@ossobucotemp,
OHHH I see. Y know, I hve no idea what I said there because I was using my speech synthesizer program becaue my typing has gotten severely worse . I was, I think, trying to infer "BY THE WAY".

Im becoming dale