Eta: Basque separatists begin weapons handover

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:23 am
Some good news. From the BBC.
Quote:

Basque militant group Eta has begun the process of handing over its remaining weapons, formally ending the last remaining insurgency in Europe.

At a ceremony in the southern French city of Bayonne, an inventory of weapons, and their locations, was passed to the judicial authorities.

Eta killed more than 800 people and wounded thousands in more than 40 years of violence.

It declared a ceasefire in 2011 but did not disarm.
The group was set up more than 50 years ago in the era of Spanish dictator General Franco.

Its goal was to create an independent Basque state out of territory in south-west France and northern Spain.

Its first known killing was in 1968, when a secret police chief was shot dead in the Basque city of San Sebastian.

France and Spain refuse to negotiate with Eta, which is on the EU blacklist of terrorist organisations.

The Chairman of the International Verification Commission (IVC), Ram Manikkalingam, said he hoped Saturday's handover would help consolidate peace in the Basque region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39536136
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,844 • Replies: 8
No top replies

saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:39 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks you for remaining of also within Europe by Europeans there has been
insurgency.
I am tired of the EU fanatics who tells us time after time that we "Thanks to EU now have had 70 years of peace in Europe".
These people want us to forget 800 here and thousands in the Yogoslavian war
also what happened on Zyprus......and other dead and wounded.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:09 am
@saab,
I voted remain, but having said that I'm well aware of the EU's faults. Peace in NI was a result of both sides seeing that a political solution was preferable, a British prime minister prepared to talk, (Tony Blair,) and an American president who was prepared to put in the hours to make it work, (Bill Clinton). I don't think the EU had much to do with it.

Having said that I'm worried about our future outside the EU and how the Brexit vote has encouraged some low life racists in UKIP.

We're not going about it at all well, the stance over Gibraltar was a cock up from the beginning. Theresa May is fully responsible for that for leaving Gibraltar out of her original letter to Tusk.
saab

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:31 am
@izzythepush,
To tell you the truth if there would be an election in Sweden I would not know what to do.
I am a coward. I would happyly vote out. But as a dam coward I would problaly vote remain.
We Scandinavians pay our taxes - preferbale without cheating.
We are also close to the Dutch and the Brits.
Germany and France pay taxes.
Belgians are cheating
South of Europe they prefer not to pay.
How are we going to be one country?
If I ever really worry about Europe´s future - it is that I think we will have a
war between the countries. What kind I do not knw, cyper, merchant or something else.
I prefer not to get sleepless night regarding Brexit - my daughter lives in GB.
I just hope she can stay and things will work well.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:42 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
How are we going to be one country?

I don't think that will happen. I think EU nationals currently resident in the UK will be fine. We don't want to be swamped by a load of British pensioners currently living on the Costa del Sol, because that's what will happen if we start playing silly buggers with EU citizens.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2017 06:12 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I am tired of the EU fanatics who tells us time after time that we "Thanks to EU now have had 70 years of peace in Europe".

That's a bit disingenuous. We may have had local wars, but no big ones like 1914-1918, or 1939-1945.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:51 am
Quote:
Police in France have found nearly 3.5 tonnes of weapons, explosives and other material in eight caches handed over by Basque separatist group Eta.

Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said the weapons would be destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39540081
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:23 am
@centrox,
The Basque nationalism is rooted in 19th century - I doubt that it is EU-related - and they've got a Parliament of the Basque Country.
I think, the criminal ETA to be similar to IRA.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 03:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Peace in NI was a result of both sides seeing that a political solution was preferable,

Of course it was. What chance would a small group of people who wanted Ireland for the Irish have against a war criminal, 1/4 assed world power?

Typical US hypocrisy - Americans brag and brag about their independence but they prevent myriad countries around the world from becoming independent.
0 Replies