Did you V O T E ?

boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:03 am
In Oregon we all vote by mail so the only line you might encounter is if you waited until today and you are trying to get into the library parking lot where you drop off your ballot.

Mail voting is really convenient but I miss the whole community interaction of going to vote. Still, because we always have so many measures to vote on (thanks to Oregon's initive system of getting something on the ballot) mail voting really is the only way to really think all the measures through.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:06 am
Measures, propositions, etc., etc., etc.

I vote straight NO on these unless someone really can convince me otherwise. Almost always they are masking someone asking for a handout.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
Anything that starts out "amends constitution" pretty much gets an automatic "No" from me.

This time we had some really complicated land use, forest management, changes to the medical marajuana laws, and a meause about capping jury awards in medical malpractice suits, among others.

All of them had strong arguments from each side and it took me forever to decide how to vote.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:22 am
Got back about an hour ago.

Names by alphabet broken into 6 lines, so only one person in front of me to get my ballot. No ID, just name and address. Sign that I am who I say I am and that I have a right to vote.

Got ballot and proceeded to one of two empty voting booths. Lots of people were just sitting at the cafeteria tables filling out the ballot rather than waiting for a booth.

We had three amendments. One really made me mad 'cause it had been advertised heavily as "Vote Yes to Jobs and Economic Growth." In the paper it said it was an amendment to allow localities to borrow money without a referendum. On the ballot it said it was an amendment to allow local cities and municipalities to raise property taxes and work with developers to improve ... and the tax would stay with the property. Confused??? Bond? Property tax? Economic job growth package? What the...??? That got a big fat NO!

Slipped my ballot into the paper feed on the machine after connecting all the arrows with a marker. Four hours of open polls and I was #792.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
My wife just called me from the polling place. She failed to vote early as I did last week (5 minute wait). She is looking at an hour and a half wait right now.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
I like to vote in person and mingle with the other people Smile

Voter turnout was great, I stood in line for quite a while.
No ID asked, only name and address (I look trustworthy)
Our voting paper was long - had approx. 22 Prop. to vote on.

All my peers reported a great voter turnout as well.
So that makes me very happy.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:32 pm
First-time voters at my polling place were required to show photo id. The rest of us weren't. We used electronic touch screens. I only had to wait about 10 minutes when I voted at 10 a.m., but there were long lines when the polls first opened, and I bet they'll be very long after most people get off work tonight.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:34 pm
I have never wanted to vote as much as I do today, but I cant :-(
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:41 pm
I always vote early in the morning and get it done with. There were not long lines at my polling place but there was a steady stream of voters. I had about a two minute wait and there were only two voting machines.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm
Just came back from voting. It went so fast I had time to come to a2k before going to work. I don't know my number, is that on the little tab they give you after voting? (mine is out in the car.)

Booths pretty full, but no line. On the other hand, it is quarter to eleven on a workday, in a small town, in a single family home neighborhood.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
I wrote for in Bill Clinton....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:17 pm
November 02, 2004

Kerry Votes for Bush, Before Voting Against Him
by Scott Ott

(2004-11-02) -- Democrat presidential contender John Forbes Kerry today voted to re-elect George W. Bush, but then requested a new ballot and voted for himself for president.

"I actually did vote for George W. Bush, before I voted against him," said Mr. Kerry. "After I punched my ballot, I remembered that the 'W' stands for 'wrong'. I told the election official at the precinct that I had spoiled my ballot, and she gave me a new one."

Asked if other Americans should vote for him, Mr. Kerry said, "I believe in voting for John Forbes Kerry, but I can't take what is an article faith for me and impose it on people who don't share that faith."
0 Replies