Visting Old Friends

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 01:33 pm
What books would you or have you reread? I am currently rereading "The Lord of the Rings" as each film is ready for release, so I'm almost finished with "The Two Towers." I am also rereading "The Great Gatsby" in Simon & Schusters's authentic edition (correcting some omissions and mistakes in the original first edition text and subsequent reprints). "Gatsby" is still wonderful prose -- Fitzgerals's character development is so adept that it's no wonder the filmed versions have trouble with its almost metaphysical overtones. You imagine more about the characters than is actually written which is why I like well written fiction. Gore Vidal's "Burr" tells you more about the men of politics in that era than any non-fiction text. I also love science fiction and plan to do some rereading, especially Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man" which has been sold for movie rights once again. I hope it's going to be made b David Lynch or Jonathan Demme -- Stanley Kubrick would have been my first choice but all one can do is wait. "The White Hotel" by D. H. Thomas is another book on my list to reread but I've lost my copy (there are some under $3.00 used at Amazon, however).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,565 • Replies: 48
No top replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 02:46 pm
That's easy.
Ulysses(?) by Joyce.
The first time, I was in college, and I found it hard to get through.
Now, I listened to it on taking books.
So much better!
The person who read was an actor.
I still have to find out his name.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:52 pm
Keep in mind, my totem animal is a sloth.

All the same, when the Powers That Be upped the Recommended Daily Exercise from a half an hour a day, to a full 60 minutes of physical activity, I've been examining my paperbacks to see what I can re-read while peddling away to Nowhere.

Right now I'm enjoying wholesome twenty-minute installments of an early murder by Jane Haddam. She has an Armenian Detective and her casts of suspects are always colorful.

Every since I loaned a friend my John Varley's Gaean/Titan series, I've been wanting to re-read TITAN, WIZARD and DEMON. The sacrifice is worthwhile. My friend is in her 60's and has never read much fantasy before.

I also reread some Robert Jordan in preparation for Volume X appearing in November. I feel personally inconvenienced that the release date has been postponed until January.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 04:35 pm
NODDY!!

Hi!

I could read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" about 3,278,142 times. In fact, I'm probably on 3,278,140 right now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 05:29 pm
Visiting Old Friends
I don't reread many books, as I always have books on hand that I haven't yet read. But one I would like to reread is Burr. I could probably reread a number of Vidal's books. I had quite a little collection of them, but gave them away when I moved.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 05:33 pm
"Burr" and "1876" are the two best volumes in the American history series by Vidal with "Lincoln" following quite closely. All are worthy of reading again. "Myra Brekenridge" is still a hoot (not as a movie, however -- that's for sure -- I get a sinking feeling in my stomach everytime I think of that film). "Visit to a Small Planet" and I would even go back to read "Messiah."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 05:37 pm
And Osso too! Yay!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:49 pm
Rereading Books
Hi, all. I hope I am doing this correctly as this is my first visit here (Thanks GW). Anyhow, I am in a somewhat unusual position. As a teacher, I reread a cluster of books over and over again: Romeo and Juliet, Flowers for Algernon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Separate Peace, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Red Badge of Courage, etc., etc. I never tire of them even though I have read each many times.

When I have time for me, I read escapist fiction for the most part, which comes along in a regular enough profusion that I don't reread them.

Anyhow, that's the short answer. I will post now to see how this site works. Hope to be here more often, but lots of schoolwork these days.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 07:19 pm
Welcome Osso and Bermbits!

Gosh, berm, you've given me quite an assignment there. Will there be a pop quiz?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 08:01 pm
Books revisited

Hey, Mr. Wizard,

I would like to re-read Typee by Melville. Then perhaps I would be better equipped to read Omoo...

Goodnight my friends,
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 08:44 pm
Wind Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint Exupery
I was fortunate enough that a friend gave me this book. It is like a revelation to ones manshood and philosophy.I reread this several times over a 6 month period. Within it's simple language and tales of airplane pilots, Saint Exupery enlightens us with simple philosophical principals that both set men apart and unite them.I read this slowly and deliberately considering this a book that should be read by all men who feel confused or left out of the rat race. How I wanted to be like the little prince himself. For me I found this better than the Little Prince. Today my book is full of underlined passages and acts as another bible to my soul. It's a small book but packed with the words of a truely enlightened poet storyteller. Even now I am in that plane with you heading out to the frontiers of the unknown when man was humbler and a bit more sane. Who would believe he was a military man at all. God Bless you Antoine de Saint Exupery.

About the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, indeed I could read it again.That series which I first read in the mid seventies deserves another read.It was Gandolf that I fashioned my life style after. It was he who would be my role model, unfortunately I have fallen very short of his manner and talent. But don't tell anybody this. The film was excellent and I can hardly wait for the two towers>>>>>> :-}
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 09:11 pm
Algis, did you scan your face?! (Hi!)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 10:15 pm
I've read The Catcher in the Rye 5 times. And Portnoy's complaint twice. But I don't usually re-read many books because I have so many to get to. Oh, yeah, I also have read Notes From the Undergroud several times as well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 10:53 pm
Lola,

I wish I could read that book again! I read it in a single sitting once and make all my friends angry with me because I skipped a birthday party to finish it.

Of course my brother took that book with him and left me with only 9 Stories from Salinger. ;-(

BTW if nobody has responded to your post you can delete it. It's good for when you accidentally double post.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 12:17 am
Yes I did as a matter of fact. I gave myself a facelift as well. How did you know?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 06:47 am
I re-read many books - if I consider them really good - and especially if they are complex and rich in language and meaning. I guess studying English Literature for so long means I like to really study a book I love, and to appreciate the construction and language fully.

I also - especially when stressed, or ill, re-read simpler books and children's books for calm and comfort - you can generally judge how ill I am by which books I am re-reading!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:05 am
Melville is always worthy of a reread and I was thinking of "Billy Budd." The broadcast of Bejamin Britten's opera last year was certainly welcome.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:16 am
Ooh, re-reading! A buncha books I seem to go back to again and again tend to be in the German literary vein. E. g. Kafka and Hesse. Never got into Thomas Mann or anyone else (Goethe, etc.) but I've read The Trial and Siddhartha many, many times.
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 02:56 pm
Thanks, GW for inviting. Well, rereading is my favorite sport - currently I'm in the middle of "The Art of Love" by Erich Fromm, and from time to time I use to open "Zaratustra" by F. Nietzche to remind myself about some good lines.
PS. Nice to see some old abuzz friend again at the same place!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 03:18 pm
Welcome, Alexandra!

We need more European representation on the site! Great to have you and I know how you love books.
0 Replies