Visting Old Friends

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
Lola, I do hope you're reading Chaucer in the original Middle English. A modern translation is cheating, you know.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 06:37 pm
Hi Dream!! I love your Avatar!! Thanks for posting to this thread, which brought it up to the current list..... Lots of good recommendations here.

Just this week, I pulled "The Sirens Of Titan" (by Vonnegut) off the shelf, to recommend it to my daughter. As I was thumbing through the pages, I realized that I wanted to re-read this book.

I'm just starting to re-read "The Two Towers", before seeing the movie. I still have my original three paperbacks for the trilogy, and the edges are sunburned and worn. I carried those paperbacks for many miles!! They're like old warm familiar friends.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 10:50 pm
The Sirens of Titan is one of my favorite Vonneguts, too. Not quite up to the quality of Cat's Cradle or Mother Night, but still one his better efforts.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:25 am
Oh MA, I guess Cliff Notes would be cheating too. Hummmmmmmmm...... just call me a cheater.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
books i would read again
Good grief, at this point in my life - as memory wanes
a bit, I should like to reread every book I have ever
really enjoyed. It is like reading it all over again.
Gone with The Wind, every book written by Pearl Buck,
I really love some of Stephen King and I detest some
of it....but The Stand, and The Green Mile and J Irving's
Cider House Rules AND The 238 Pound Marriage AND
The World According To Garp, And A widow For One Year
( I have yet to read The Fourth Hand) I love his full
fledged characters who you get to know so intimately
that you can't stand it for the book to be over...these
are like...people you have grown to care for, be part of.
He is masterful at character development. I could read
and re read anything that was written by Thoreau daily.
There simply are not enough hours in a day, days in
a month, months in a year - or years that I can be
certain I have left. So, why do I spend all this time
yakking on A2K?
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 08:04 pm
I don't imagine I will ever tire of re-reading Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories (Arthur Conan Doyle), a definite favourite of mine. Though I haven't done so far, I feel sure that I will be re-reading John Buchan's Richard Hannay novels pretty soon!
Like babsatamelia though, I spend more time online than reading these days!
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 07:06 pm
Hi all... Like many others have already posted, I usually don't reread much because of a long reading list. There are a few exceptions though that I have reread and probably will always from time to time:
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Love for Lydia, by H.E. Bates
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:52 pm
The last one I reread was Cat's Eye - Atwood. Just as good the second time around.

The MOST reread? Lessing's Golden Notebook ... Something like 5 (?) times ... I've lost count. Though haven't read it again recently ... Just living life is complicated enough right now! Shocked

Most attempts (& failures) to read? Ulysses (sp?). Maybe I've missed out there?
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:57 pm
Rereading is the acid test of quality for a novel. If it can stand up to a second reading, it truly is a good book. I recently reread the first 2 volumes of Proust--a wonderful experience. I plan to reread the rest of it later this year. Also, I just finished rereading my once beloved Raymond Chandler and was disappointed. I think I have outgrown him. This is a shame, because he used to be one of my favorite writers. So you see, sometimes rereading can be dangerous!
0 Replies