Logical argument (hedonism)

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:08 am
@MozartLink,
Logic is the actual order of things. Productive behaviour gets rewarded because it works. You seem to think that logic refers to some abstract laws arbitrarelly wrriten by some God far away. Logic is the order of stuff through time. We didn't create Logic we stomped on it.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:16 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yes, but I think the reason why we seem to be talking in circles is because you view the logic and order of things as equivalent to having value and worth in our lives. But I make a distinction between those two things. This is because you can look at a certain thing or situation through logical analysis and that situation or thing would still have no good value or worth to you. Let's pretend that you were completely apathetic and were in a completely blank state of mind. You could sit there and think to yourself that you are going to get a video game and it has new characters.

But at the same time, realizing this can have no good value or worth to you. That is why I make a distinction between value/worth and logic/order. According to my view, it is only our good feelings that bring actual good value and worth into our lives from certain things or situations. Even if you thought to yourself that a certain thing or situation had good value and worth to you without your good feelings, then that would not be so. It would still not bring your life any real good value or worth. Again, you need to experience good feelings from that said thing or situation in order for it to have good value and worth to you.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:21 am
@MozartLink,
If I cannot persuade you Hedonism is faulty and decadent with the simplest of examples what else can I tell you? I honestly hope you get better and have a happy meaningful life. That's it.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Then I will just say this. It is my own personal experience that has convinced me that my good feelings are the only experiences that can give my life good value and worth. This is because the quality of these experiences have real quality of good value and worth. It is not a matter of me looking at these feelings and projecting a value judgment upon them. These feelings are what they are. There is a big difference between projecting a value judgment upon a certain experience as opposed to what the experience actually is for you. Therefore, I am convinced of my own view of good and bad due to my personal experience which is a very compelling, profound, and powerful experience.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:30 am
@MozartLink,
Again you keep at the tautology. No one disagrees feeling good is feeling good.
The point was/is if feeling good has a connection with the outside world order.
And it has. Functionality and productivity are rewarded by our biological brains for a reason.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yes, I do already acknowledge this. So, that is not the issue here. Where I am getting at is that order does not equate with value and worth in our lives. This is because if you looked at a certain situation, then you can judge that situation as having good value and worth to you. However, you could also look at that situation as nothing more than a situation without projecting any value judgment upon it. That is why there has to be a distinction between logic/order and the value and worth we having in our lives. The distinction here would be our thoughts/attitudes and our feelings. It is only our good feelings that can give good value and worth to our lives.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
If you want to go deeper it is not that simple. We crave fat instinctively with our older brain. It used to be good before we got to be farming pigs...But the neo cortex is teaching us that dopamine is not the only form of rewarding we must look forward. Living longer and healthier lives brings a bigger reward. The whole process keeps pointing at more layers of complex order. Have you ever wonder why the Universe works like that ?
That is the quintessential question about the purpose of intelligent lifeforms.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
But you could still perceive those situations you've pointed out as having good value and worth to you personally or not. The personal value and worth we have in our lives is based on our own personal perception. According to my view, it is only our good feelings that give us the perception of good value and worth in our lives from certain things and situations.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm
@MozartLink,
...you speak as if they were your particular invention/creation but they aren't.
Your good feeling are the result of millions of years of evolution rewarding functional behaviour.
Small deviations to the general species pattern behaviour just proves my point.
They are for most part small deviations. The ones who are a mess go extinct.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:03 pm
Now perhaps you just want to state something as simple as to say functionality without reward is blank. So what? I granted you that much in my first post.
0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:05 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I started out by saying the personal value and worth in our lives is personally created. But the idea of it being personally created only applied to the value judgment person. However, as for the feeling version, this would not be personally created. I think you have conflated the idea of personal creation which was applied to the value judgment version of value and worth in our lives with the feeling version and have concluded that I was saying that my feelings were personally created.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
@MozartLink,
No personal value is a small deviation of collective values...not an accident either. And nop I am not conflating shizz.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Think of it this way. If a person was in the most horrible state of living and nothing had any good value or worth to him/her. This person is suicidal. It doesn't matter if you told this person that it was a good thing that we have democracy and freedom. None of that would bring this person's life any good value and it would not make this person's life worth living. That is what I mean here when I say that having good value and worth in your life is a matter of personal perception. I say that it is only our good feelings that give our lives the perception of good value and worth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:28 pm
@MozartLink,
No no no. You cannot point to a dysfunctional subject which is a clear exception to the rule and say that's just about subjectivity. What about all the other subjectivity flying around that does not deviate significantly from functional social behaviour eh ?

Again I granted if you can't feel **** you are an unhappy zombie.
MozartLink

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:33 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
There are certain things and situations that might be objectively good in their own right. But what I am referring to is specifically the personal value and worth in one's life. In order for one's life to have personal good value and worth, then he/she needs to experience his/her good feelings.
0 Replies

shadrach heavens

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 03:13 pm
@Krumple,
your religion is the way of life------ours is life itself. you can go through the way, but you cant find life.
Krumple

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 06:26 pm
@shadrach heavens,
shadrach heavens wrote:

your religion is the way of life------ours is life itself. you can go through the way, but you cant find life.

Dont care. I think you have bought into something that has convinced you of that but you haven't proven it.

Its convoluted to say you die but you don't really die you have everlasting life. Well I don't want everlasting life. I don't want to exist for ever no matter how good it is, I wouldn't want to.

I think your idea of life cheapens this one. Yet you have no proof of everlasting life. You cheapen something you can see for something you can't. Why would I want that?
0 Replies