How many glasses of water do you drink every day?

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:08 pm
There's been a myth that people should be drinking 8 cups of water every day. The reality is, the average consumption of water is 2.5 cups; far below any recommendation.
If we look at the health of the average who consumes 2.5 cups of water, it doesn't seem helpful to be told we must drink 8 cups of water every day.
What's going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 28
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:53 pm
I don't know. I drink possibly three or four. Not always.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't keep count, so I wouldn't know; not even an average.
I know when we were kids and had to work out on the farms to pick fruit in the summer months, we drank lots of water. Even took salt tablets, and salt is now taboo (at my age).
edgarblythe

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember the salt tablets. They were available to us sailors, if my memory serves. As a kid I drank copious amounts of water also.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:03 pm
I edited myself's response -

water is available in many forms, such as soup. Even ice cream. In the abundance of the US, we vary.
Some have trouble.

0 Replies

jcboy

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've never really counted but I'd say I probably drink at least 32oz a day. Usually more while at the gym.
0 Replies

Blickers

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:42 pm
Just water, probably two. If you count tea as well, (mostly herbal), around 10 or 12.
0 Replies

speedjohn

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
We drink water in different forms although we can't count it in glasses .If we talk about fruits,some amount of water is always there in fruits .Water plays an important role in maintaining good health. It helps in digestion,boosts our metabolism.
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:13 am
Thank God I don't know exactly... Wink
0 Replies

saab

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:44 am
Of course we drink much more water, when we are hard working in sunshine or anytime we get to swet.
Sometimes about 60 - 70 years ago a doctor recommended that we need about
3 litres of fluid a day. May be it was even less. Fluid is not just water, but anything you drink and also what is in what you eat. Soup, fruit etc.
The someone changed the word fluid to water and said we need 3 litres ( 3 liquid quarts) of water a day. These three litres did not include evertything else we drink.
Then it got to be at least three litres a day...
Now you see people walking around with bottles of water all the time drinking
water.
We need so and so much fluid a day.
Again it very much depends on what you do. If you sit still in an airconditioned room you certainly do not need as much as the guy who is working on the fields or doing road work.
I hardly ever drink water. I drink tea, coffee, orange juice or other forms of fluid. Water I drink when it is very hot, when I am working hard or when I am very thirsty.

PS
regarding salt. Recommended is to add some ocean salt to the water to keep the electolyt balance in the body. Only add very good and clean salt.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 08:08 am
Water?! Like the stuff in the toilet?

http://i.imgur.com/UsVkt6Z.jpg

It's got electrolytes.
tsarstepan

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 09:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Depends on the season and varies in relation to how much coffee and/or tea I drink.

In the coming months, I will definitely drink far more. AT least, I will drink my entire 1.5 liter water bottle in an entire day. Not including various teas, coffees, and if I filled my glass water jug I keep at work. I think if I was to guess an atypical day of extreme drinking? Maybe 3 liters of straight water (not tea or coffee) or slightly more. But we're talking particularly hot, crappy days.

Drinking plenty of water is good for the skin, kidney health, and keeping your bowel situation ... chugging along? It does... I just don't feel comfortable discussing that part of reality.
tsarstepan

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 09:16 am
@speedjohn,
speedjohn wrote:

We drink water in different forms although we can't count it in glasses .If we talk about fruits,some amount of water is always there in fruits .Water plays an important role in maintaining good health. It helps in digestion,boosts our metabolism.

Are you speaking in the Royal We? Or are you a (half???) member of a conjoined twin set?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
True; drinking lots of water is good for your health.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:12 am
@speedjohn,
We don't think about it, but most of the food we consume has water in them.
Watermelon, anyone?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:50 am
Water as such, 50 to 80 ounces per day. Don't drink much other stuff on a daily basis so my fluid intake relies on water consumption.
cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Water is always safe. Remember when there was controversy about coffee?
I wonder what the final opinion was.
ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Water is not always safe. Aside from water being polluted in some way (see about Flint, Michigan), some long marathon runners imbibe too much water, and at least a few have died from that.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080109195002.htm

Water intoxication - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or hyperhydration, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by overhydration. Under normal circumstances, accidentally consuming too much water is ... Marathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much ...
cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:23 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I was talking about our local water. Our city regularly measures the toxins and metals in our water. I know that even in the US, not all water sources are safe.
http://sunnyvale.ca.gov/Departments/EnvironmentalServices/Water/WaterQualityReport.aspx
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 03:34 pm
I would drink 8 glasses of water if it was at that Chinese restaurant that had the really good water.

1. Forums
  2. » How many glasses of water do you drink every day?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:57:04