Can I search for someone on Facebook just by the first letter of their name?

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 08:13 am
Long story short - I am looking for someone but I only know their first name. I have tried searching for them on Facebook but I think I might be spelling the name wrong (it's foreign). I know you can search for "males/females in [city]" to find anyone who lives in a particular city, but that obviously brings up a large number of results. I wondered if it was possible to filter that further so you only find people whose first name begins with 'K' for example, to help narrow it down. Does anyone know? Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 665 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm
@cocoa chanel,
It is highly unlikely that anything remotely like this would work, unless the first name was incredibly uncommon. As in, only ten - one hundred people in the world.

I ain't kiddin'. Facebook has over 1.1 billion (yes, that's with a b) daily users, and over 1.8 billion monthly users. See: https://zephoria.com/top-15-valuable-facebook-statistics/

This is one of the reasons why search is so difficult there. It is also difficult because FB isn't meant to work like a search engine. Rather, they know that their mission is to keep users on as long as possible, so as to deliver as many ads to them as possible. Therefore, search tends to work toward providing who or what a user is anticipated to want.

You would do better trying a Google search, as Google's mission in life is to provide as good a search experience as possible. And while they do some predictive sorting by location, they are more committed to getting you a good result.

So your search might look something like this:
Code:Jane M* Florida

And that will also take you forever, but it's a shot. Spoiler alert: I really, really doubt you will find someone this way.
cocoa chanel

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:37 am
@jespah,
Thank you for replying. I knew it was a long shot. Oh well.
0 Replies