African Music

Olivier5

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:00 am
Modern Afro-cuban, with an interesting video:

Roberto Fonseca - Afro Mambo
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2017 03:44 pm
@Olivier5,
I have a question, but I need to listen to this Mambo first.
Back in a bit.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2017 04:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yes, interesting video for sure.

My question is that I may have missed posts here, sans full attention. I'm realizing that there may be recordings that my family would relate to: Liberia, and Sierra Leone.

Background - My niece's mother was from a Liberian tribal village, name of which I remember. My husband's brother was in the Peace Corp. There was a romance. Sometime later, he brought her to Los Angeles. The brothers didn't agree on the wisdom of this. I understand the reasoning of all three. At some point, the mother's (I think teen) sons were nabbed by other forces in the Sierra Leone conflict but made it out.

I think of Liberia and Sierra Leone as quite different but I'm very ignorant on that, and I know nothing of the music.

Olivier5

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 05:10 am
@ossobucotemp,
I've never been there but the 2 countries are neighbours in the gulf of Guinea and share a troubled recent past, civil war; war lords etc. Now returning slowly to democracy.

One nice book about the two countries intertwined civil wars is Ahmadou Kourouma's ALLAH IS NOT OBLIGED (TO BE FAIR ABOUT ALL THE THINGS HE DOES HERE ON EARTH). It's the ficticious story of a child soldier told by himself. I agree with the critiques on Google Books that the novel is a bit irritating at times but still a great read overall.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2017 09:36 am
Souad Massi - Khalouni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lDmRLME2c
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 06:43 am
King Sunny Ade & his African Beats ~ Check "E"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrTlQpQ4b_c

The King rules...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 03:03 pm
This is one of these ephemeral songs the Ivoirians produce to comment on social media themes. Music made for dancing in parties, but often funny. In this case, the pretext is that in the 2016 national Miss contest, a mother of one of the Misses would have yelled angrily to the top judge / anchor: "you abused me!" when learning her daughter was not elected Miss Ivoire. The singer (Meiway) assumes that the anchor (a certain Bipoya) is a danger for all women...

Serious African fashion in there...

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 06:48 am
I've posted some time back an album from Orchestra Baobab, Pirate's Choice. It featured Médoune Diallo as its lead singer.

In 1992, Senegalese record producer Ibrahima Sylla recorded three Senegalese afro-cuban singers -- Médoune Diallo (ex Orchestra Baobab), Pape Seck (ex Star Band de Dakar) and Nicolas Menheim (ex Youssou Ndour et le Super Etoile) -- and New York-based salsa players for one album, under the name "Africando". Africando will become a lead musical project, recording many interesting albums over the years, under different configurations.

It's just afro-cuban, but top notch.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 07:18 am
From the same bunch:

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:21 am
Another interesting project for Kora lovers is 3 MA, regrouping the Moroccan (MArocain in French) Driss El-Maloumi, the MAlian Ballaké Sissoko and the MAlagasy Rajery.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:08 am
Slammer Gaël Faye, born in Burundi from a Rwandan mother and a French father, traveled to his country of birth and brought back an interesting slam on local music. The text is more interesting than the music I think, but just in case somebody likes it...

Gaël Faye - Petit Pays
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:30 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Another interesting project for Kora lovers

that was great

__

http://www.tafelmusik.org/media-room/media-releases/releases/tafelmusik-presents-world-premiere-safe-haven

Quote:
Safe Havenfeatures music by European baroque composers including Corelli, Lully, Bach, Telemann, and Vivaldi — composers whose interactions with migrant musicians, impresarios, and artisans had a major influence on their work. In the final section of Safe Haven, Mackay brings the program full circle to Canada’s music scene, where cross-pollination has flourished thanks to the arrival of musicians and musical traditions from around the world. With guest artists Diely Mori Toukara, kora, Maryem Tollar, voice, and Naghmeh Farahmand, percussion, the second half explores some of the rich global cultural traditions passed along to a new generation of Canadian musicians.

Safe Havenalso explores how the movement of refugees across baroque Europe changed and enriched the economy and culture of major cities. French Huguenots could be found in Amsterdam, Scottish Catholics in Warsaw, and Sephardic Jews in the cities of Northern Italy. Audiences will hear how the term refugee (or refugiés) first came into common usage during the forced exodus of Protestants from France, following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes by Louis XIV in 1685.

very excited about this

I have performed with one of the guest artists and studied with another. And kora!
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 12:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Safe Haven features music by European baroque composers including Corelli, Lully, Bach, Telemann, and Vivaldi — [...] with guest artists Diely Mori Toukara, kora, Maryem Tollar, voice, and Naghmeh Farahmand, percussion, the second half explores some of the rich global cultural traditions passed along to a new generation of Canadian musicians.

That could be an interesting meeting... You got tickets?

http://d1marr3m5x4iac.cloudfront.net/images/edpborder500/I0-001/004/922/855-2.jpeg_/tafelmusik-55.jpeg
http://d1marr3m5x4iac.cloudfront.net/images/edpborder500/I0-001/000/978/837-7.jpeg_/safe-haven-37.jpeg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 12:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Most definitely.

Naghmeh is a master percussionist, originally from Iran. We are very lucky to have her in the community.

I'll also be attending https://torontoconsort.org/concerts-tickets/2017-18-a-season-to-celebrate/illuminations/ which will feature Naghmeh. We're very lucky with the global music influences in this city.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 09:12 am
@Olivier5,
I've now read the book written by rapper Gaël Faye on Burundi, called (like the song) "Petit Pays". It's a masterpiece of child meets war literature.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:02 am
@Olivier5,
thanks for the recommendation - I'll ask the library to bring it in
Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
I hope it's well translated - the vibrancy of the text is remarkable, for a first novel.

Of course it's not entirely a novel, ie there's a lot of life experience in there.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:20 am
@Olivier5,
I didn't know there was a translation. I was going to plug through the original - slowly Smile
Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:25 am
@ehBeth,
C'est toujours mieux en version originale... :-) But Petit Pays has received many literary prices and has been translated in thirty languages so far, including English.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:46 am
@Olivier5,
https://clairemca.wordpress.com/2018/02/07/petit-pays-by-gael-faye/

I'm hoping for this to happen

Quote:
Once I got into the rhythm of this, which is to say, reading in French, and getting past the need to look up too many new words, I couldn’t put this down, by the time I found my reading rhythm, the lives of Gabriel (Gaby) and his sister Ana, his parents, his friends had their claws in me and I had to know what was going to happen next.