lick-spittler

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:59 am
Does anyone know what lick-spittler means? Thanks.

"You pompously call yourselves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans nor Democrats in this House. You are lick-spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the Plutocracy."

Jack London, The Iron Heel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,316 • Replies: 3

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
blatham
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:10 am
@Doubtful,
The best way to grasp this term's meaning and etymology would be via the Oxford but membership (or the dictionary itself) is required.

Best I can find is here
http://judyhagey.com/word-of-the-week-lickspittle/

London is using it as a synonym for panderers, syncophants, toadies, etc. I've heard it used since childhood here in Canada (my dad, from the prairies, used it). He meant it in the same manner as London uses it - more colloquially than pander or syncophant, and more like toadie, though the formation he used was "lickspittle" without the final "r".
0 Replies

phwilliams

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 06:38 am
@Doubtful,
Haven't you seen a subordinate dog lick the drooling spittle from a dominant dog's mouth. It's a derogatory pirate's term for the modern day equivalent of corporate climbers from this observation.
ekename

Reply Sat 13 May, 2017 06:49 am
@phwilliams,
Hey, Pharrell, sappenin dude. Gotta luv them derogatory pirates huh.

Watch out for them thar syncophants (sic) n their syncopation for all things piratical.

"Corporate climbers from this observation", is that your view from the crow's nest?

0 Replies