Music as religion

ReiKi

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:21 pm
For many, many years I struggled with religion. I was forced to go to church on sunday mornings, sunday evenings, wednesday nights which included groups of course. I always hated it! The only thing I liked about it was the cheeseburger on the way home.. Now fast forward to when I was 18, my friend was killed in an auto accident. She was American and couldn't care less about jesus. So after she died people were asking me, 'are you going to heaven or hell?" After that i quit church and then began my internal religious struggle. Few years later I find TOOL. I listen, I learnt.. my mind expanded and I find a name for all these things I have picked up on my own. Eulogy was what let me know I'm not the ony one who felt like this... I wasn't the only angry individual and it was ok to let it all go. I was finally free. Thanx to tool.. i'm such a happier and open human being and so much more spiritual.. Tool showed me the door, which I chose to walk through.. the music really inspires me, and others, to open our eyes and step out of our boxes. Tool's concepts are unique, their sound is spiritual, and maynard's lyrics send chills down my spine (even this morning listening to the song lateralus ont he way to work, i had tears in my eyes and that definitely counts for something in my book). They have found a balance on the Lateralus album between word and sound.

I love that anyone can listen to a song, no matter if you understand the lyrics, your race/culture etc, and completely connect with it..

Music is the universal language..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
On that, I wholeheartedly agree.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
Rei, Yes, music and poetry. I have been where you have been.

Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 07:02 pm
Yes, music is spiritual, and it doesn't seem to matter what kind you like.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
Can spirituality be found in death metal?

Broken Yet United by Salem

Broken, not united you see the disguise
Broken, not united
See where we've come with our collective hate

We leave behind ideals of a dying generation
Slip away

Bread and blood is life
God's gift to mankind
Broken yet revised
See where we've come
Broken, not united

We keep dry
under the rain of terror

Broken, not united

We leave behind
ideals of a dying generation
Slip away

Berated not refined
You see through the lies
Broke your nets and found
a peaceful haven
Turn it upside down
We keep dry under rainning terror
Children die to fuel the flame of hate
Broken yet united

I feel that it can be, a primal sort of energy, but that this energy is mostly negative and is of little use outside of emphasizing human emotion.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:12 pm
Dauer, Did you write that?
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:43 pm
Nope.

It's Broken Yet United by Salem. They're Israeli death metal. Good place to find rage.

http://www.salemband.com/
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:04 pm
Well, I'm thinking that if death metal spirituality is an enhancing and emphasizing of human emotion, this is probably true for all spirituality. And any such push will ultimately be rewarding, despite the means to the end.

Of course, in the case of Salem, they seem to be very much against war and to be expressing their cries against it. So death metal spirituality does have its place so long as the partaker knows the ways the music will effect their thoughts and emotions.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
Well, TooL is one of the most intellectual intelligent bands out there (both my avatar and signature are from them). A few months ago I too became a "TooL-ite", and saw that modern music does have hope and that hope is TooL. They have a new album that will be released in the next few months, and I presume more inspiring lyrics and musical secrets will be embedded within.

Also I don't find it surprising that Death Metal with spiritual and intellectual lyrics. Once you burrow beyond the "famous" death metal bands there is some incredible lyrics there. But unfortunately most people dont understand metal and its intricacies.
0 Replies

ReiKi

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 05:10 pm
Tool's new album will be released in a few months?!

Clearly there's something you're (or the band) not telling me here, because I was told the new album would not be released until around spring 2005! They haven't even finished recording.. have they???

You're not getting confused with eMOTIVe / aMOTION, are you, el?

Smile
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Well, TooL is one of the most intellectual intelligent bands out there.

I have never heard a Tool song that isn't loaded with cliches and generalities. I don't like them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:41 am
Well, I am glad someone explained what Tool was. I had absolutely no idea.

I find certain kinds of classical music very spritual and inspiring.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:36 am
Does spiritual and inspiring music necessarily promote a more humane and peaceful existence? I'm thinking of Alex from Clockwork Orange. His orgiastic revelries seemed inspired by some sort of spirituality, and yet were so very violent.

Singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I'm happy again

When someone commits such violent actions with some sort of spiritual bent, do they view their actions as wrong, as something that should not be done? Or do they view them as informed and correct?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
Quote:
I have never heard a Tool song that isn't loaded with cliches and generalities. I don't like them.

Ummm what song did you hear? Unless it was off their Undertow album which wasnt good lyrically, or you didn't appl the lyrics in the true nature (eg. Tool's song Stinkfist which at first sounds like a disgusting sex song is actually about desensitization or drug addictions, depending on your interpretation, but you have to read between the lines)

Stinkfist

Something has to change.
Un-deniable dilemma.
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.

Constant over stimulation numbs me
But I wouldn't want you
Any other way.

Just, not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said, I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Finger deep within the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.

I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way.

Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not want me any other way.

But, it's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said, I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Knuckle deep inside the borderline.
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to.
Relax. slip away.

Something kinda sad about
The way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?

How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?

I'll keep digging till,
I feel something.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. turn around and take my hand.

Quote:
Tool's new album will be released in a few months?!

Clearly there's something you're (or the band) not telling me here, because I was told the new album would not be released until around spring 2005! They haven't even finished recording.. have they???

You're not getting confused with eMOTIVe / aMOTION, are you, el?

no I'm not. I heard it was released in late january or early februrary which is 3-4 months from now, and since 3-4 is usually termed as "a few" I used it. I wish it owuld be released this month or next but I guess i can have patience. They have finished recording most of the songs reportedly.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:34 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
El-Diablo wrote:
Well, TooL is one of the most intellectual intelligent bands out there.

Since writing this I've become a Tool fan. Not because I discovered their deep lyrical message, but because they have a good lyrical flow and pretty guitar riffs. The biggest draw though, is Maynard's voice.

Edit:
I will say the line:

I know the pieces fit
Because I watched them fall apart

Is very cool.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:56 am
I love music - I even like tool (though I liked them a lot more when I was 15) - but I find it hard to appreciate music as a spiritual... thingy, since I don't have a soul. Neither do you, stupid!
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:28 pm
agrote,

is spiruality a dirty word to you? Why?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:06 pm
Because i'm a materialist. Or at the moment I am, maybe I'll grow out of it or something. But it seems much more plausible that everything is made of stuff than that some things aren't. And I'm an agnostic who hates religion. Science works better - it explains a few things well, whereas religion explains everything badly. It's for impatient people who can't be bothered to wait just a few billion years to find out stuff like whether there actually is a loving god. They just guess. But not a sort of trial and error thing, just trial... "Maybe there is a God who made everything and who loves us. Aww that's nice isn't it, let's just stop there." Laziness, and vanity as well, is what it is; it's quite vain to think that the master of the universe, absolutely HUGE as it is (possibly even infinite!) gives two turds about you.

Happy new year. Very Happy
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
I had the same experience growing up in religion, hated it. But, the music, it stayed with me even if it was the old songs. I loved the music, the singing, and because of this I've always loved music, can feel any really excellent music, beautiful voices, not just listen.

We went to a Baptist church last night because my hubby wanted to hear the Zambian Vocal Group, advertised in local newspaper. Baptist I'm not, no not! I don't attend any church. Glad we went, heard them. These 7 Africans seemed to absolutely live their music - gospel yeah, but there was a vibration in that building from that bass singer, the tenor, all I guess. The people they were singing to? Couldn't hold a candle to these 7, brought up by missionaries in their native Africa, orphans all. But, they've far exceeded the spirituality of those they were singing to last night, who hadn't a clue. They're attending college here, traveling around singing to any and all Baptist churches.

The music, bytheway, was the message, the words were few. The evangelize through music. Works.
0 Replies