Hobbits Were Real??? 3 Ft Tall 18,000 YO Skeleton Found

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/27/dwarf.cavewoman.ap/index.html

Scientists uncover possible new species of human
Dwarf skeleton is 18,000 years old

AP) -- In a breathtaking discovery, scientists working on a remote Indonesian island say they have uncovered the bones of a human dwarf species marooned for eons while modern man rapidly colonized the rest of the planet.

One tiny specimen, an adult female measuring about 3 feet tall, is described as "the most extreme" figure to be included in the extended human family. Certainly, she is the shortest.

This hobbit-sized creature appears to have lived as recently as 18,000 years ago on the island of Flores, a kind of tropical Lost World populated by giant lizards and miniature elephants.

She is the best example of a trove of fragmented bones that account for as many as seven of these primitive individuals. Scientists have named the new species Homo floresiensis, or Flores Man. The specimens' ages range from 95,000 to 12,000 years old.

"So the 18,000-year-old skeleton cannot be some kind of 'freak' that we just happened to stumble across," said one of the discoverers, radiocarbon dating expert Richard G. Roberts of the University of Wollongong in Australia.

Flores Man was hardly formidable. His grapefruit-sized brain was about a quarter the size of the brain of our species, Homo sapiens. It is closer in size with the brains of transitional prehuman species in Africa more than 3 million years ago.

Yet evidence suggests Flores Man made stone tools, lit fires and organized group hunts for meat.

Just how this primitive, remnant species managed to hang on and whether it crossed paths with modern humans is uncertain. Geologic evidence suggests a massive volcanic eruption sealed its fate some 12,000 years ago, along with other unusual species on the island.

Still, researchers say the perseverance of Flores Man smashes the conventional wisdom that modern humans began to systematically crowd out other upright-walking species 160,000 years ago and have dominated the planet alone for tens of thousands of years.

And it demonstrates that Africa, the acknowledged cradle of humanity, does not hold all the answers to persistent questions of how -- and where -- we came to be.

"It is arguably the most significant discovery concerning our own genus in my lifetime," said anthropologist Bernard Wood of George Washington University, who reviewed the research independently.

Contued at link provided above. Very interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,691 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
thats crazy... i hope they didnt find a ring in mix...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:05 pm
LOL! That's what Bear said when I told him about this.

He's constantly trying to convince leprechauns are real, too.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
i think they are... i've been to some pubs in maryland that i could have swore there was a leprechaun behind the bar
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:18 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
any truth to the rumor they had long floppy ears?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
Aha! I knew there had to be a thread on this somewhere. Amazing stuff, I can't wait to hear more and more and more about these guys.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
Quote:
Yet evidence suggests Flores Man made stone tools, lit fires and organized group hunts for meat.

Sounds a bit like the Deep South.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:02 pm
I just knew you would show up Gus. But I expected:

"Well, I'll be a gustavratzenhofer! They found Momma!"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:08 pm
Gus is clearly too tall to have descended from Flores man. You can tell by the pitchfork, which gives you an estimated height, based on the length of standard pitchforks.

However, Gus may have been a tall abberation, a genetic mutation, and with his long legs, he easily outran the mental dwarfs in the Deep South, eventually making it to Canada, or somewhere in the North USA.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
No, the pitchfork doesn't give a proper estimation of his height because a) you can't see either the top or bottom ,b) you can't see enough to know it's a pitchfork and c0 if it's a pitchfork it could be a small one.

That said, if you look at his clothes you'll notice that they're cut like the clothes on small people and dolls. They are just hanging off him, giving that little bit of extra weight to hide the fact that he hasn't eaten since decided to run away to the city, to be with the one she loved. Or the numerous ones she loves, since I have it on good authority that she's actually working in an animal brothel. Had plenty of experience from Gus, i'm told.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:17 pm
but that's gone completely off topic. WHat I mean, is that the clothes fit like small people clothes
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
but that's gone completely off topic. WHat I mean, is that the clothes fit like small people clothes

also, his shoulders are arched, suggesting some bone deformity
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
Cav wrote:
However, Gus may have been a tall abberation, a genetic mutation, and with his long legs, he easily outran the mental dwarfs in the Deep South, eventually making it to Canada, or somewhere in the North USA.

That little passage by Cav reminded me of an "All in the Family" episode:

Archie and Meathead were engaged in a riveting verbal battle over a woman's place in society. Archie, of course, thought women should be in the kitchen and the bedroom and remain silent in the background unless beckoned. Meathead was furious by Archie's primtive thinking.

The conversation went something like this, with Archie speaking first...

"Why do you think God made women with short stubby legs and big butts?"

"Why, Arch?"

"So the cavemen could catch them easily and drag them by the hair back to the cave."

"What about the women with the long legs and little butts, Archie?"

"Them they'd have to bring down with a rock."

"How about the men with the big butts and short stumpy legs, Arch?"

"Them was your first fags"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
And does anyone have any idea what Odd Socks is rambling on about?
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:27 pm
i'm sure you do, nd i've got photos
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:33 pm
It still amazes me that Archie never knew what a cigarette was...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:56 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Gus is clearly too tall to have descended from Flores man. You can tell by the pitchfork, which gives you an estimated height, based on the length of standard pitchforks.

im guessing that gus had the pitch fork made especially for him... its smaller then usual and he used it to kill and eat the others... leaving nothing but the bones as tooth picks
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
Seed wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

im guessing that gus had the pitch fork made especially for him... its smaller then usual and he used it to kill and eat the others... leaving nothing but the bones as tooth picks

That I would take as a completely viable theory.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:48 pm
Has anyone advanced the theory yet that the people of that time just kept all their midgets in one place?
0 Replies