Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:38 pm
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw1097554324900B252

Mexico City - A team of international archaeologists have set sail from Mexico to seek a sunken city that has been dubbed the "Mayan Atlantis", press reports said on Monday.

Quoted by the Mexican newspaper Milenio, team leader Paulina Zelintzky, a Russian archaeologist, said sonar equipment had given indications there could be ancient structures on the ocean floor between Mexico's Yucatan peninsula and Cuba.

According to Milenio, resonances showed geometric images similar to pyramids and round structures. The archaeologists will search the area using a mini-submarine known as "Deep Worker".

Signs there could be Mayan remains on the seabed first surfaced in 2000 when the area next to Cuba's westernmost tip was being explored for petroleum.

Before beginning their project, the archaeologists had to raise $2-million (about R13-million). They set sail from the port of Progreso in eastern Mexico on the Yucatan peninsula. - Sapa-dpa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 2
No top replies

always dreaming

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:00 pm
interesting...any website i could go to see updates on this?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:32 pm
always dreaming wrote:
interesting...any website i could go to see updates on this?

I wouldn't look to any one website. I'd just do google searches on 'underwater city cuba" or 'zilintsky' once in a while.
0 Replies