order x reversed order

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 01:19 pm
Is the sentence below clear? I want to say that the questionnaires were digitized twice by different individuals. One individual typed from question 1 to question 33, and the other individual typed from question 33 to question 1. Is there a clearer way of saying it? Thanks very much.

The questionnaires were digitized twice: one individual would enter the questions in order, and the second individual, in reversed order.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 614 • Replies: 13
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
centrox
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 01:58 pm
The questionnaires were digitized twice: one individual would enter the questions in order, and the second in reverse order.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 06:42 pm
@Doubtful,
Ful, Cen's is FB but I mightve:

The questionnaires were digitized twice: one individual addressed the questions in order, the second in reverse order.

Edited to remark, how like Trox's
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 07:05 pm
@Doubtful,
What the hell does "digitized" mean, anyway? That's unclear to me. If you mean a different numeral was associated with the same question in the questionaires, you might just say that (which you go on to do).

I would suggest variations like:

(a) The questions (not questionaires) were not always presented in the same sequence
(b) ...the order of presentation was varied...
(c) the sequential presentation was not uniform.

There are, of course, many other ways of saying the same thing, but I don't think "digitized" is a good word choice here. Maybe that would mean something to most people, I don't know, but it doesn't mean much to me. I thought you must be referring to some computer processing, or something.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 07:26 pm
@layman,
Quote:
"digitized" mean, anyway?
Yea I wondered too but guess makes no diff

Quote:
presented in the same sequence
Good but of course we don't know if they were presented
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 08:26 pm
@layman,
Quote layman:
Quote:
What the hell does "digitized" mean, anyway? That's unclear to me.

I must admit, that thought never occurred to me. These days, everything is digitized. Music, text, pictures, video, almost any piece of information gets digitized in some form.
layman

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 08:28 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote layman:
Quote:
What the hell does "digitized" mean, anyway? That's unclear to me.

I must admit, that thought never occurred to me. These days, everything is digitized. Music, text, pictures, video, almost any piece of information gets digitized in some form.

Yeah, I agree. But what is it supposed to mean in this context? Did you read the rest of the post of mine which you took an excerpt from?
Doubtful

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:01 am
@layman,
To digitize = put into digital form, as for use in a computer (WordWeb Dictionary)

To digitize = to convert (as data or an image) to digital form (Merriam-Webster)

The researchers interviewed a bunch of people and wrote the answers down on paper. Later, the researchers entered (digitized) the answers into a computer. So should I use enter instead of digitized? Or maybe inserted?
centrox

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:27 am
@Doubtful,
The usual term is 'entered'..
dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 12:17 pm
@centrox,
Yea Cen 'entered' would work but we're not even sure if it was used in that meaning. If we don't exactly know we might write 'handled,' 'treated,' 'addressed,' etc
centrox

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
'entered' would work but we're not even sure if it was used in that meaning.

From the original question:

Quote:
One individual typed from question 1 to question 33, and the other individual typed from question 33 to question 1.

Where I come from, that sort of thing is commonly called 'data entry', and you can get about £10 an hour doing it.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 01:05 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
you can get about £10 an hour doing it
Oh Cen, not me
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:28 pm
@Doubtful,
One person entered the questions in ascending order, another in descending order.

( As they crossed in the middle one waved and pointed to his helmet.)
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 11:58 pm
@layman,
Quote layman:
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. But what is it supposed to mean in this context? Did you read the rest of the post of mine which you took an excerpt from?

Doubtful has already given the answer, but as for what I was thinking myself, I was thinking the info got put into some program, spreadsheet, database, graphics presentation or something like that. I didn't have anything specific in mind, just that it was going into the computer somehow.
0 Replies