Getting the haircut you want - how easy is it?

dagmaraka

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
hmmm, now that i have a pressing deadline for a chapter ahead, cutting my own hair sounds like an inviting distraction!
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
dj - my brother-in-law does the same - nice and easy.

Osso - so sorry about your self-cut.

Dasha - put the scissors down and walk slowly away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
Er, since my earlier post I fluffed it out and it's improved.

Dasha (can I call you that?), your hair looked great in the Boston a2k photo..
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
Her hair always looks great.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:15 pm
Once I bought a $200 haircut and perm (oh, foolish, wasteful youth!) and they completely screwed it up, didn't give me a refund. They had to redo the perm so my hair was fried, and it looked terrible. So money doesn't necessarily correlate with quality.

I have been lucky enough to find the perfect stylist where I live. She works for a chain, so she is very cheap, and she is incredibly good. She custom shapes everyone's hair to what looks best on their face/what they want and does a razor finish. The only problem is she's usually booked for weeks. She does the hair of my entire family and most of my friends.

Message me if you live in Austin, Tx and want her name and location.
ossobuco

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@Portal Star,
Bringing up this topic again..

I've figured out how to cut my own hair successfully - grow it long enough so that I can easily reach all the hair in the back. I grew it after yet another episode of a hair stylist not "getting it" while giving me an 'adequate' cut, and letting that grow. I enjoyed the long hair for a while, and then cut it myself the way I like, and, voila, I see this as a future routine. Now if I can work that out into Long Hair in Winter and Short Hair in Summer, I'll be a happy camper.
sozobe

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I now have a hair person who actually gets it! I go in every 6 months or so and say "have at it." He does. It looks good.

Whew.

This place specializes in curly/ wavy hair, that seems to help. (I cannot STAND haircuts that are meant to be ironed straight...)
mismi

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:38 pm
@sozobe,
It doesn't seem to matter for me - I have straight hair - it varies from shoulder length to mid-back - and bangs. I wear is in a pony tail, or twisted up with a barrett and down. I cut the bangs every few weeks and get the back cut every 4 - 6 months. I am pretty low maintenance...

I cut my boys hair myself. Buzz cuts in the the summer and trims every month in the colder months. One has thick, curly hair. It is easy - and forgiving when I make boo boos. The others are straight and thick...shows up uneven trim in the worst way...heaven forbid that I am in a hurry - i scew it up every time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:14 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I told them I wanted choppy, sassy, and flippy.

Did l'k ever get choppy, sassy and flippy?

I'm pretty happy with Miss Maddy. Set, brendalee and I all get our hair cut/coloured by her. She's got a dab hand with a pair of scissors. We've discovered that I don't do well with hair that flops into my face at night, but I don't want LONG hair. I don't think it's age-appropriate for me. She finally worked out a couple of fun cuts that work - straightened or au naturel.
hamburger

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@ehBeth,
i've been going to "paul" , my sicilian trained barber for a number of years .
"little off the top ? " he always asks .
"as usual , paul " , is my standard answer , and about 20 - 25 minutes later - after having discussed local politics - i'm good for another six weeks .
suits me just fine ! Laughing
hbg

i've never asked him if ever ever cut the hair of a "goodfellow " - and don't think i will .
ehBeth

Sat 13 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
@hamburger,
Paul did a good job on Set a coupla times. Made him feel so young - like a fresh recruit Very Happy
0 Replies