Do prayers exist within time?

Tartarin

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:02 pm
Whew! Tangents are not eschewed in Able2K! Thank you, New Haven. What you say makes sense. The pope was indeed probably praying for their souls.

For one who doesn't believe in god but does believe in prayer, this has been interesting. Can we admit that all of it is conjecture, that a belief that a baby who dies at birth has no free will is a belief; that the idea of god is a an idea (but that doesn't make it less valuable to those who believe it), etc. etc. I like the concept (not mistaking concept for reality) that one could "pray backwards," wish somebody well who "has passed."

Why? Because I'm not convinced about the existence of linear time. Linear time (as I conjecture) is a human invention for human convenience. If events were not happening sequentially -- if it's all happening at once -- a "prayer" or "good thought" or "holding in the light" about (say) Rick Husband who is/was/will be in the Columbia explosion will be forever appropriate.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:08 pm
ci:

All prayers are NOT selfish requests for something. Some prayers,as are many Psalms, merely man's way of praising God.

Then we have what are called lamentations...which I think are cries of despair of anguished human beings.

CI:

I find it hard to believe that you've never prayed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:57 pm
Okay, New Haven, I'll concede that all prayers are not "selfish." You are right, there was a time in my life when I prayed with my family. All my siblings are still christians as are their children. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 06:19 am
OK this isn't on prayer per se but c.i.'s skepticism comment reminds me of a statement by Thomas Hart Benton. When asked by a critic once why he never included angels and such in his paintings he responded, "Show me an angel and I'll paint one."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:05 am
Pitter, Are you now making the claim that there are angels? c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:09 am
"Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo.
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go."
John Prine
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:33 am
Pitter, Do you see angels? c.i.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 02:17 pm
Well since you ask I'll afirm that when I go to Chipichapi I see heavenly bodies all about. But we digress no?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 02:42 pm
Since "Chipichapi" is foreign to me in every way, I'll have to trust your "heavenly bodies" sightings. Wink c.i.
0 Replies