Car problems!

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:13 pm
I have a 2003 kia spectra and every month im going to the shop to get something fixed. Ive spent so much money on this car its ridiculous. Recently i took it to the shop (sometime in the last 2 weeks) and they had to replace the water pump. My main reason for going there was because i turned off the car from going somewhere and when i tried to start it, it wouldn't turn back on. Weird thing is, I just got a new starter and a new alternator less than 2 months ago and i just got a new battery today but i went to the movies and once again it wouldn't start, but it makes the clicking noise. I notice that when i'm driving, the lights will get dimmer, the radio turns completely off and things will slowly start shutting down but i cant keep going to the shop. I'm trying to figure out what this could possibly be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,615 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:24 pm
@hailey77,
You have a lemon. Trade it in or sell it.
seac

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:25 pm
@hailey77,
Seems like a alternator problem at worst. Simplest would be a dirty battery connection.
roger

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:30 pm
@seac,
Could be either. Could also be a wiring harness problem. That could be good or bad, but if the insulation on wiring on a car has become brittle or broken, that could be an indication that the thing is due for trade in while it's actually running.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 04:05 am
@hailey77,
Change your garage. They've not fixed it, let someone else have a go.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You have a lemon. Trade it in or sell it.

The 2003 car is 14+ years old. I don't think it can be considered a lemon. Lemons are problematic NEW cars.

But your underlying point is correct. It maybe the right time to give up on the car. Especially if it's a high mileage beast.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't think it's about the age of a car. It's the mileage and where it's driven.
I have a 2006 Acura with less than 50,000 miles. I just make sure to get the oil change. It's driven on city roads 100% of the time. It's still in excellent condition.
0 Replies