No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:46 pm
@perennialloner,
No, Paren, no
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:54 pm
"For" is not necessary, but it is not wrong either, just a little old-fashioned.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 05:29 pm
@centrox,
Thank you contrex.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 07:48 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

I intend (for) our union to be eternal.

That's what I said.

Then she said: Sho nuff, long as you got the cash. The meter's runnin.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:10 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

"For" is not necessary, but it is not wrong either, just a little old-fashioned.

I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to think that, yeah, it's necessary.

I intend kill the sumbitch. <----that right? How about...
I intend to kill the sumbitch.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:14 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

I'll take your word for it. But...
"I intend our union to be eternal..." sounds really awkward to my ears. Sounds like it should be a Shakespeare line and never actually spoken by a real live person.
centrox

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:15 am
@layman,
'For' is optional in the examples cited by the questioner, 'to' is necessary in the examples cited by you.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:17 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

centrox wrote:

I'll take your word for it. But...
"I intend our union to be eternal..." sounds really awkward to my ears. Sounds like it should be a Shakespeare line and never actually spoken by a real live person.

Maybe it's a British English thing. I intend my book to be a best-seller.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 08:36 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

I intend (for) our union to be eternal.

Well, I guess you could say that the "to" is in there---it just seems to be in the wrong place.

"I intend it to be eternal--our union, that is." Awkward as it is, that might work for me...

Naw, I would still want to say "I intend for it to be...." It just seems like some kind of "link" is needed between the state of mind and the external target.

Then again, I wouldn't have any problem with something like: "I intend it as a compliment," so....

Long story, short: Hell, I don't know.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:01 am
@layman,
Quote:
Hell, I don't know
Man, me nuther
Mebbe context
perennialloner

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 06:46 am
@dalehileman,
Dale, why do you insist you write this way to save keystrokes? Mebbe is the same number of keystrokes as maybe. Mebbe you like talking this way cause it entertains somehow. But it entertains at the expense of language learners. There's a time and place.
centrox

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 06:57 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:
... it entertains at the expense of language learners. There's a time and place.

This has been made clear to him on numerous occasions. I believe it is a form of passive aggression. When people are sufficiently provoked that they ask him not to do it, he pretends to believe (or actually believes) he is being persecuted by humourless intolerant fascists, and then does it all the more. Rinse and repeat. Various signs suggest he may be passing through the onset of what we used to call "senile dementia". Or possibly the trait was inborn, I don't know. Perhaps he is just bored and is amusing himself.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:07 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
Dale, why do you insist you write this way to save keystrokes?
Alas Peren ur probly right on
0 Replies