All I need to know about gay lifestyles I learned in kinderg

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
kindergarten - Massachuetts kindergarten to be specific.

I received a prerecorded "poll" phone call the other day regarding the state ballot measure regarding a Consititutional ammendment banning same sex marriage.

When I answered that I was in opposition to the ban, the "poll" said...

"In Massachusetts, where court-ordered same-sex marriage is legal, they are now preparing materials to teach the gay lifestyle to children, beginning in kindergarten...."

What the heck do they mean by "gay lifestyle"?

(And if its "court-ordered" does that mean they can force you to do it?)

The only difference I really see between lifestyles is which gender one chooses to have sex with and, to be honest, I don't really see that as "lifestyle".

Way back in the olden days when I was in kindergarten they taught us about the finger painting lifestyle and the gluing pasta into interesting patterns lifestyle and the alphabet lifestyle I guess.

Teachers! Parents! Massachusettiers (ians?) (ese?)!

Give me a clue - just how is "lifestyle" being taught?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,527 • Replies: 28
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Oh, you know, kindergarten kids will be taught all about anal sex and fisting, and be forced to turn over to the dark side. They'll be taught to be anti-Jesus and their souls will be doomed to hell. Rolling Eyes Some people really should get new hobbies, as it's clear they have wayyy too much time on their hands.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
You're right Cav... way too much time on their hands
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
I saw you mention that and wondered. I think it might just be recognition of the fact that there are all kinds of families. That's on a lot of curricula, because there is still such a widespread usage of the nuclear family as the norm -- mom, dad, a kid or two -- that kids who don't fit in that picture feel it. So there's more about two moms, two dads, divorced parents, being raised by grandparents, whatever.

That can be spun rather easily into "teaching the gay lifestyle" to kindergarteners -- just acknowledging that it exists.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
The problem, I believe arises when a student has two mommies or two daddies. The kids have to explain that they don't have a daddie or a mommie (respectively). But, this has been an issue before gay marriage was ok'd because gay and lesbian couples have been adopting kids for decades.

Silvia, with a gay uncle, with several classmates with same-sexed parents in a progressive school setting, with actively pro gay rights parents and extended family, still thinks marriage is all about a man and a woman.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Research shows that those sexual practices aren't limited to the homosexual community, cav, so I imagine that they're already getting that in preschool.

But the soul damned to hell thing - thats a good lesson.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Too much time, and sadly, too much funding. The word "lifestyle" is quite telling. It infers a judgement about being gay, and although it seems innocuous enough at first glance, it is not. That's how the religious right couches their hatred. They are afraid that if kids are taught that gay people are just people, they will become gay. It's the stupidest logic I can possibly imagine. "Lifestyle" indeed...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:35 am
"lifestyle" goes with "agenda". What ever.

Soz is right on.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:38 am
Hi colorbook!

Soz, that makes sense. I can see how teaching the differences in family could be twisted into meaning "gay lifestyle". I'm beginning to see the light. Thank you.

I think I'm particularly sensitive to this issue since Mo has a different sort of family.

Interesting, little k. I wonder why that is. After all, I'd wager that most children's books and movies feature orphans or single parent (dead mom) households.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
Well, all tv kids have daddies and mommies (one of each). I don't think most kids books and movies have single or no parented kids.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
That would be interesting, figuring out the "most" thing. I have a book called "Everywhere Babies" that I love because it shows all kinds of families, including gay/ lesbian -- that stands out as being way unusual. We get about a dozen library books a week, and I'd say 95% of those have nuclear families. We're watching Dora now -- Dora has a mom and a dad. (Though she's also close to her extended family.) Jojo of Jojo's circus has a mom and a dad. Dragontales kids have a mom and a dad (though off screen). All the dragons have a mom and a dad. Blue's Clues is weird, I STILL haven't been able to figure out how old Steve and then Joe are supposed to be. What else does she watch -- Little Bill is a mom and a dad (and a grandma.)

A case can be made that a lot of the classics have the dead mom thing going on, but just in terms of what kids are exposed to on a day-to-day basis, heckuva lot of nuclear families.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:44 am
Sounds to me the "poll" was simply a scare tactic.
If Oregon does not ban gay marriage, then it could go the way of Massachusetts. Gay lifestyles taught in kindergarten!

Well, they (whoever "they" are) are now preparing (whatever "preparing" entails) materials (homosexual coloring book?) to teach...

Next thing you know, Papists and Templars will be trying to infiltrate the system.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:44 am
(littlek and I trading off who's the first to say the same thing... ;-))
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:52 am
<grin>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:55 am
I guess it is true that most of the cartoon kids have moms AND dads. We mostly watch videos and parents don't figure in to most of the movies.

When I mentioned this call the other day I knew I had the wording wrong. This morning's paper reported that they had received a lot of calls in complaint of the "poll" and printed the exact phrasing. Cav hit it right on the head. It was the word "lifestyle" that made the call so creepy.

I'm sure you're right, George. They were trying to scare people while pretending to be conducting a poll. I imagine it will scare some people but I think the ones that have already decided to oppose the ammendment have most likely thought it through beyond such tactics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
Is OR voting on gay marriage rights this year?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:06 am
Well, yanno it's the whole recruitment thing, as if the gay community was telling kids to "be all they can be" and "be a <gay community> of one". Oops, that's the military. Me so confused.

PS We're Bay Staters.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
Not really little k. The measure is to amend the state consititution to define marriage as "between one man and one woman" so that they can circumvent any future possibility legalizing gay marriage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:18 am
and will the citizens vote on it, or the judicial court?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
The citizens, little k. No matter how the vote turns out, I'm sure there will be legal challenges. Then, if its anything like our physician assisted suicide law, we will vote on it again, and it will be challenged again, and the attorney general will attempt to block it, and it will be challenged again, .......

Ack! Sexual recruitment of kindergarteners! Say it ain't so, jespah!

The world is indeed in trouble.
0 Replies