I'm scared to use a toilet other than my own or my grandmothers

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:30 pm
So I'm 16 now and for all my life I've been scared to use public restrooms, or toilets other than my home toilet or my grandmothers, the situation is bad for my health as people always says it's dangerous and could damage my bladder, etc, but I really hate the idea of using another toilet other than ones specified my aunties and Nanna's toilets are so immaculately clean however I will not use them unless I know I will be sleeping at their house or will be their for the whole day 12hours, my question is why? Why can't I use other toilets??? I'm not a germaphobe...

View best answer, chosen by Thomasdcornwell
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:46 pm
@Thomasdcornwell ,
I've a degree in bacteriology, well obsolete but not always wrong, and am mixed re toilets after all these years. I don't understand toilet fear much, except that I may now not be able to rise - I'm sort of kidding, as I suppose I can escape otherwise.

The times I suffered horribile-oma were not from toilets, but certain cafes or oyster bars, a bit later on.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The worst woman's bathroom I've ever been in was at the Tijuana Bull Ring, in the sixies (El Cordobes).
We all lived fine.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:53 pm
@Thomasdcornwell ,
Take a hike in the woods for several days. Maybe you will appreciate using any toilets afterwards.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:25 pm
@Thomasdcornwell ,
Thomasdcornwell wrote:

So I'm 16 now and for all my life I've been scared to use public restrooms, or toilets other than my home toilet or my grandmothers, the situation is bad for my health as people always says it's dangerous and could damage my bladder, etc, but I really hate the idea of using another toilet other than ones specified my aunties and Nanna's toilets are so immaculately clean however I will not use them unless I know I will be sleeping at their house or will be their for the whole day 12hours, my question is why? Why can't I use other toilets??? I'm not a germaphobe...

There are more germs on the handles of public buildings than a toilet seat. Maybe take some purell with you and wipe down the seat before you use it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:27 pm
@Krumple,
Or don't.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:30 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Most of that is crap.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 07:09 pm
When I worked at the apartments, I encountered a man who could not abide the toilet we provided him. The cleaning crew had done a nice job on it, but, he insisted it was too dirty. I cleaned that toilet in every way imaginable, three different times. Still, to him, it was unbearably dirty. So, we installed a new one. The asshole moved out, a few months later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 07:11 pm
@Thomasdcornwell ,
Sounds like you need to talk to a mental health professional. Go see your primary care physician and get a referral to a psychiatrist.
0 Replies

Thomasdcornwell

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:41 am
@Thomasdcornwell ,
It's not that I have OCD or that I'm a germaphobe I am no way whatsoever scared of germs
saab
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:05 am
Causes of toilet phobia
Toilet phobia can be caused by a variety of factors including anxiety, fear, specific experience or trauma and learnt behaviour from someone close. Causes of Toilet Phobia can often be a combination of these factors or none of the above.

It is generally accepted that CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) is the recommended treatment for toilet phobia due to the fact that it is an evidence based therapy. However, many individuals cited clinical hypnotherapy, counselling, guided self help and other lifestyle changes as being helpful in providing benefit to managing the condition.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:45 pm
This is a learned response and can be unlearned.

I know many people who avoid using public bathrooms but if your response is exaggerated or causing discomfort then get some help to put this into perspective.

If it isn't the germs then what is it?
Miller

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:57 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

If it isn't the germs then what is it?

It's the "shadow"!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 06:02 pm
@Thomasdcornwell ,
Get a referral for therapy.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 10:46 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Most of that is crap.

You're absolutely right! Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 02:30 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Most of that is crap.

It could be most of it is crap. But when you have a fobia, you do not see it like that.
People suffering of a fobia, which makes daily life difficult really have a tough life and need professional help.
If you have a fobia regarding sharks and you live in Wisconsin - the problem certainly does not destroy you daily life - but being scared of toilets do.
0 Replies