Mosque shooting in Quebec by bigots or paid off for propaganda purposes?

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Having clicked "Like" does not make one a supporter with the implication of him being and actual supporter and not having just "liked" a facebook page.

I see that he has also liked "John Paul 2", "Tom Hanks", "Sprite" and "Richard Dawkins".
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:21 am
@ehBeth,
2nd day in a row of noon-time call-in programming about this shooting on our national broadcaster

sobering
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
I get the live news listening to "local" CFN (Canadian Forces Network).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
Quebec premier on now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
They also happen elsewhere in Canada, as per my link. Quebec also has some of the lowest crime statistics in the nation. I seriously doubt that they are over-represented in random murders.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:51 am
@McGentrix,
Kuddos to you Mac.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:53 am
@McGentrix,
I suppose it depends how you define "supporter".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are stories like this blaming Jews for scheming their own persecution. The goal of these stories is to dehumanize the Jews and to prevent them from being seen as victims of violence.

Au contraire. The real value to the anti-Semite, of these stories, is to give credence to the popular notion that Jews are quite capable of all sorts of dirty tricks, to lead non-Jews astray from their sinister nature. In effect, much of anti-Semitism "demonizes" Jews as plotting against the rest of decent humanity.

You used the word "dehumanize." A better analysis, I think, is what has been promulgated from pagan times to today, is that Jews are just too different to warrant a concern.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 08:23 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
In effect, much of anti-Semitism "demonizes" Jews as plotting against the rest of decent humanity.

And this demonizes Muslims as plotting against the rest of decent humanity.

Bigotry is bigotry.
Frugal1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 06:37 am
@maxdancona,
Lol!

How does one go about 'demonizing' savages?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 07:22 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Lol!

How does one go about 'demonizing' savages?

Just to be clear Frugal; Are you talking about Jews or Muslims?

(McGentrix.... do you see my point?)
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 07:30 am
Yo see what I mean, brainless liberal progressive democrats.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
Factually, Bissonette and a Muslim were arrested.

This news was reported by many outlets including CNN.

When I saw this news, like many others, I thought the shooting was suspicious.

Then when the arrest of the Moroccan was revealed to have been a mistake, I, like many others, saw it to be your average run of the mill terrorist shooting.

Rather simple to understand.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:14 am
@McGentrix,
I was definitely blaming the one Muslim who was arrested. I thought some individual or organization may have incentivized the arrested individual for political purposes and I did not see that group as Muslim.

Max framed it as if I blamed all Muslims, which is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 02:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
In effect, much of anti-Semitism "demonizes" Jews as plotting against the rest of decent humanity.

And this demonizes Muslims as plotting against the rest of decent humanity.

Bigotry is bigotry.

But, my Lordship, I am not versed in all the nuances of bigotry, since the history I have studied was either American history, or Jewish history. I know little about bigotry against groups that do not have a history in Europe nor America. Sorry, for being so parochial. I have read that in the early 20th century Boston had a totally different image to non-Bostonians? I suspect that after Boston became a college town it became its present progressive city. No?

I do know that the Japanese treated the Chinese poorly during WWII.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 05:50 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I am not versed in all the nuances of bigotry

Not sure why you assume much nuances here. Hatred is hatred. Racism is racism, whether targetted at Jews or Muslims or Catholics or blacks or whoever else. It's all the same: a wholesale fear of people who are different from us.
Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 03:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I am not versed in all the nuances of bigotry

Not sure why you assume much nuances here. Hatred is hatred. Racism is racism, whether targetted at Jews or Muslims or Catholics or blacks or whoever else. It's all the same: a wholesale fear of people who are different from us.

I am not saying that your point isn't correct; however, do you not see that some people might just be focussed on their own, and the rest of the world is just an abstraction? Sort of like a parent focussing on the success of one's children (metaphorically), wishing no harm to anyone else's children, but just not part of their own focus.

You see, Americanism (a secular religion of sorts in the "red states)," in my opinion, does not mean "universal" with a small "A," as Catholicism does with a small "c." One is not a bad person, if one is concerned with one's own family (metaphorically), and cannot empathize with those outside of one's family. It might just mean that one's own family requires one's total energies and focus to not implode through entropy!
Olivier5

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 03:48 am
@Foofie,
Don't look for excuses and half-assed convoluted rationalization. If you want to be racist, just be so.
Foofie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Don't look for excuses and half-assed convoluted rationalization. If you want to be racist, just be so.

The word racist is alien to me. You are assuming that because I am not focussed on other demographics/races, etc., I want to deny them anything. Not so. I am not obligated to be concerned with anyone else, according to the Declaration of Independence; meaning, I can pursue "happiness" for myself, as long as I do nothing illegal? You are not an American, so you might be wasting your time, other than throwing adhominems at me.

Lastly, you might not agree, but in typical EU fashion, you are assuming, in my opinion, that your perceptions are a priori correct, and have the ethical right to proselytize to me, including adhominems. Sorry, as a Jew I do not proselytize. As long as you do not do anything illegal, you can believe what you want. There is no sin in not loving all of humanity, Your Excellency.
If you remember your number scale (from the plus side to the minus numbers) there is a "0" in between the two sides. If one is not on the plus side of loving humanity, they are not automatically on the negative side of racist. They might be on the neutral "0." Now, that's not beyond your ken.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 04:31 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
If you remember your number scale (from the plus side to the minus numbers) there is a "0" in between the two sides. If one is not on the plus side of loving humanity, they are not automatically on the negative side of racist. They might be on the neutral "0."

Okay so you're a zero. Neutral as per the survival of other humans. You don't care if they live or die...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 04:26:20