WOW, Ireland bans smoking in pubs!

Misti26

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:59 pm
Well .......... I'll be damned! I never thought I'd see the day!

I would have thought the percentage of smokers in Ireland to be a lot more than 30%. It seems everyone, and I mean everyone I meet when I go back has a cigarette in their hand.

It wasn't much fun for non-smokers when they went to pubs and cabarets, there was a low-lying cloud of smoke hanging over them all evening, it was horrible!

I really can't believe they're banning smoking, so soon!

Thank God for small favors.

Thanks littlek for the posting:)[/color]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:05 pm
Well, hello everyone....
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 12:59 pm
Setanta LOL
I could just picture it. I do find it a lot easier to meet people in Ireland since any old gobshite will talk to you given half a chance. I miss that. It is not at all unusual to get chatting to someone on a bus, in the bathroom, wherever. Strangers over here look at you as if you have seven heads if you try to butt into their conversations or introduce yourself. I tried it many times and for the most part found people were very wary of me so I stopped and I pretty much keep to myself in a pub over here.
The Irish lads were unabashed at sitting beside anyone and launching into a conversation. Sometimes it was pretty hard to get rid of the losers when they took a shine to us, but at least they made us laugh out loud and were very entertaining.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:52 am
I remember the last time I went for an evening's music at a pub here in Dublin West, aka Boston. It was in late winter/early spring and I took my coat to the dry cleaners the next day. Washed my other clothes immediately. As someone later said, "Well, the Irish are as bad as the French when it comes to smoking."

The solution is to wear clothes that are ready to be washed when you go to a pub here. CAn't imagine one in Ireland!
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 07:21 pm
I agree with what they did! SMOKING IS BAD!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 08:29 am
Yeah but would it be so awful to have SOME designated "smoking" pubs? Remember smoking is a legal act. By banning it in every public place (bars were about the only place left where we could still smoke) it is being treated like it is an illegal substance. The government won't make it illegal because they are making enormous amounts of money off the smokers and while they mumble politically-correct blatherings on how bad smoking is, yadda yadda yadda, they do not quite want to lose their cash-cow!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:18 am
Well, "WOW" :wink:

Publicans in the south-west of the Irish Republic have pledged to ignore a ban on smoking due to take effect in 2004.
Landlords in County Kerry said they would weather heavy fines in order to retain smoking customers, said to make up half the clientele in some bars.
Irish pubs revolt over smoking
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
Very interesting! This will surely cause a ruckus..
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:56 pm
We'll just have to wait and see how many hefty fines they're willing to pay when they get thrown in jail or lose their license!

This should be very interesting!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:55 pm
I remember the bans on buses and how difficult that was to police, but it eventually happened! It will happen in all bars in time and then the next thing will be ... banning smoking in public at all - on the streets, in the open air, everywhere. It will get to the stage that people will only be able to smoke in their own homes (provided of course their non-smoking room/housemates allow them to!

All this, and people want to legalize marijuana! So where, pray, will the legal pot be allowed if no-one is allowed to smoke anywhere anymore? Answer me that!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 12:56 pm
I feel like lighting up right now.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 11:00 pm
Yep, it should be interesting, to say the least!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:51 pm
Quote:
One year on, Irish ban on smoking in pubs is hailed a striking successBy David McKittrick, Ireland Correspondent
29 March 2005

The Irish ban on smoking in bars, which today reaches its first anniversary, is generally viewed as a striking success that has brought significant changes in social and cultural life.

Just one year on, the traditional image of the fug-filled Irish pub has been replaced by a lighter and airier atmosphere, with most of the Irish regarding it as a commendable step forward in health terms.

The ban applies to almost all public workplaces, but interest has centred on bars and restaurants. Making them smoke-free by law has brought about a new sub-culture of doorstep smokers who congregate outside pubs and restaurants having a smoke in the open air.

Bars have facilitated them in a variety of ways, often providing outside tables, gas heaters and ashtrays, and sometimes building on patios and lean-to shelters. This in turn has added a new dimension to social intercourse as the open-air smokers discuss the ban and other topics.

The authorities have exercised no flexibility in dealing with those who break the law. Last July two Galway city bar-owners threw down the gauntlet by openly flouting the ban: their feet barely touched the ground before they found themselves in court receiving hefty fines. Publicans are legally responsible for enforcing the ban on their own premises, and more than half a dozen have been prosecuted for allowing customers to light up.

As this suggests, there remain pockets of underground resistance of publicans who quietly allow smoking. The most recent figures, however, indicate that 94 per cent of pubs and 99 per cent of restaurants comply.

One of the striking features of the episode is that a move which was originally seen as controversial and politically risky has so quickly come to be accepted as the norm. The Irish entertainment lobby, which is traditionally strong within the governing Fianna Fail Party, fought a strong reargard action to have the initiative abandoned or watered down. Forecasts of a disastrous slump in pub trade have not been borne out, and nor have early threats of publicans mounting legal challenges, withholding taxes and even going to jail. Instead, the ban is regarded as irreversible and here to stay.

Some early research points to beneficial effects from the ban. Professor Luke Clancy, a Dublin-based respiratory consultant and anti-smoking campaigner, said: "I have people coming to me saying their lives have been transformed.

"I have people saying they could never go into a pub before, and now they can. It will encourage people to give up smoking and the ban will enable people not to start."

A recent trade union survey indicated that 90 per cent of Dublin bar workers approve of the ban, saying they have experienced little difficulty in implementing it, and a similar proportion believed it has had a positive impact on their health. A spokesman for Mandate, the union, said: "One year later, this research clearly shows that bar workers are enjoying working in healthy, clean and smoke-free environments, free from the dangers posed by other people's smoke."

The ban has been described as an outstanding success by Bertie Ahern, the Taoiseach, who said the initiative had had a hugely beneficial impact on the quality of life. He declared: "We can share a sense of national pride in a measure that will have significant health implications, not just for us here today, but for our children and generations to come.

"This ground-breaking measure has proven to be an outstanding success. The consistently high compliance rates and the widespread support for the initiative prove how successful and welcome the change has been."

Source
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
Good to hear it has gone so well.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:21 pm
I can remember when this law first came about, my family and friends who live in Ireland said 'IT WOULD NEVER WORK' I assured them they may have no choice since it is a law and if the proprietors wish to remain open for business, they need to comply.

I'm happy to see it's been a year since the law passed and that it is working out so well.

I used to despise going to the pubs in Ireland because there was a cloud of smoke a mile thick that would choke the healthiest person walking in there.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:32 pm
Yeah, I'm sure those small family-owned dive bars that went out of business because they couldn't afford to convert their little place into something resembling TGIFriday's are real happy too. And I'm sure the families of those people are all just so f*cking ecstatic that their government is just so thoughtful like that!

There's always another side to the story, people. But of course, forcing every place to be healthy and spotless and pristine just like every other f*cking phony corporate-owned weasel factory is a good idea too...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:10 pm
easy, kickster, easy. how about nonsmokers in a cloud-of-smoke bars? don't tell me they can choose to go elsewhere, because a) that ain't really true in what ireland was like and most countries still are and b) that ain't fair. smokers don't waste their own health only, but others' too, who don't make that choice.
i'm all for freedoms... but you can only swing your fist freely until it hits someone's nose. then it's trespassing the hit person's right to protection from arbitrary violence or whatnot.
like i said many times, bars should be able to get a license to have a smoking area, and i'm sure smokers would flock there. it should be the people that choose to smoke the ones that are forced to seek out bars, not the ones that don't smoke.
and, mind you, i'm a smoker. but i will defend non-smoking in bars until the last fading breath i take.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:22 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
easy, kickster, easy. how about nonsmokers in a cloud-of-smoke bars? don't tell me they can choose to go elsewhere, because a) that ain't really true in what ireland was like and most countries still are and b) that ain't fair. smokers don't waste their own health only, but others' too, who don't make that choice.
i'm all for freedoms... but you can only swing your fist freely until it hits someone's nose. then it's trespassing the hit person's right to protection from arbitrary violence or whatnot.

What you fail to see is that it should be up to the bar owners. How many people die because of drunk drivers? I'm sure that if they (whoever "they" is) wanted to, they could show statistically that drinking, on average, has a much greater probability of killing a person before their time than the little tiny bit of second-hand smoke that people WHO CHOOSE TO GO TO THAT BAR, by the way, inhale in a two or three hour stint at a bar. Maybe they should outlaw drinking in bars too?

That second-hand smoke argument is really such a load of ****. Unless you are in a bar for about four hours every night for about ten years, I really doubt that this is a health issue. It's more a "Ooooh, that smells bad! I don't like the smell of it on my clothes. Oooh, make those bad people stop smoking, because I don't like it!" kind of thing. It's a world of fussy little prissy tightasses that we are now living in, and that is REALLY the beginning and the end of it.

Don't buy the bullshit that these busybody, self-righteous types are selling. It stinks.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:26 pm
i don't buy anything anybody sells. that is my honest opinion. and i do not want my clothes to stink, and i do not want to breathe people's smoke either. i believe i should not have to, not even for three or four hours a week. if you don't agree with it, that does not render it a load of ****. it's a perspective from a human rights point of view.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:31 pm
No Kicky, you're the one who stinks in your thoughts.

I just returned from Las VEgas where my sister has had part of her lung removed, strictly from smoking. I thought for sure she was leaving us and I would never know her love again, but she came through it and all I hope right now is that she will have the strength to overcome any temptation to smoke again in her lifetime.

Ireland and England is way behind compared to the USA as far as creating a healthy environment, and it's a crying shame that laws have to be made to save people from their own insipid behaviour.
0 Replies