A peaceful transfer of power despite fears.

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 02:01 am
Some good news. I don't know if any of you have been following it, but right after America's presidential election there was one in the Gambia. Initially the incumbent said he would accept the result, then he did a volte face a few days later. It was the threat of Senegalese invasion that caused him to reconsider his position.

Quote:
Gambia's former President Yahya Jammeh has left the country in the wake of elections that ousted him after 22 years in power.

He boarded a plane to Guinea and from there will travel on to exile in Equatorial Guinea, regional group Ecowas says.

Mr Jammeh was defeated in December's election by Adama Barrow but went on to challenge the results.

Mr Barrow has been in Senegal but says he will return to The Gambia soon.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Barrow said he wanted to create a truth and reconciliation committee to investigate allegations of human rights abuses during Mr Jammeh's time in office.

Marcel de Souza, president of the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas), said the military operation that had sent West African troops into The Gambia in support of Mr Barrow, was now ended, although some would remain to ensure security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38706426
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,318 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 05:16 am
Quote:
More than $11m (£8.8m) is missing from The Gambia's state coffers following the departure of long-time leader Yahya Jammeh, an adviser to President Adama Barrow has said.

Mai Ahmad Fatty said financial experts were trying to evaluate the exact loss.

Luxury cars and other items were reportedly loaded on to a Chadian cargo plane as Mr Jammeh left the country.

Mr Jammeh has not commented and the BBC has not independently verified the claims.

After 22 years in power, Mr Jammeh flew into exile on Saturday.

He had refused to accept election results but finally left after mediation by regional leaders and the threat of military intervention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38714007
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 09:35 am
Quote:
Gambia's new President, Adama Barrow, says he will return to the country on Thursday to assume power - days after his predecessor left.

Mr Barrow, who has been staying in neighbouring Senegal, won elections in December.

However a handover was stalled when Gambia's president of 22 years, Yahya Jammeh, refused to step aside.

He left for exile at the weekend after mediation by regional leaders and the threat of military intervention.

Mr Barrow was sworn in as president at the Gambian embassy in Senegal a week ago, but a public inauguration on home soil is planned soon, aides say.
Mr Barrow, 51, expects a "big, big welcome" when he arrives back in Banjul, he told the International Business Times UK.

"I think it will be the biggest in the history of our country."

He added that he was "very excited" after the "very difficult transition".

The president is to be accompanied by the UN envoy for West Africa, Mohamed ibn Chambas. He has said the UN will help uphold security in The Gambia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38755897
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 09:48 am
I'm counting on things to stay peaceful. A friend of mine travelled to Gambia on Saturday to spend a few months furthering her music studies.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
I've got a mate who goes all the time. He really loves it. I'm optimistic, the new president was democratically elected, he has the support of neighbours, most importantly Senegal, and more importantly the old dictator has gone.

It won't be easy, one of Jammeh's acts was to sack all the judges, so they're going to need a new judiciary.
0 Replies