The inevitable death

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:04 pm
The opposite of life questions never asked:

What purpose does naturally inevitable death serve on this planet?

What's the reason for death? Or rather why do you think you as a human were designed to die eventually?

Is your inevitable death to be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing? And why?

If you think life is so valuable and/or important do you think death is equally valuable and/or important? And why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rufio

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:07 pm
What purpose does naturally inevitable death serve on this planet?

Population control.

What's the reason for death? Or rather why do you think you as a human were designed to die eventually?

Because nothing lasts forever.

Is your inevitable death to be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing? And why?

Well, the death of something like my computer would be a bad thing, because then I would need to buy another one. The death of my cold virus is a good thing because after it dies I'll fell better. But since nothing's going to matter to me after I die, it isn't really a good thing or a bad thing.

If you think life is so valuable and/or important do you think death is equally valuable and/or important? And why?

Death is not something that can be valuable or important. It's merely the lack of something.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
Death is the catalyst of living. If we were immortal what would be the impetus to do anything? No one would ever climb the mountain because there would always be tomorrow to do it. With death always a looming presence we (humans and animals) are driven forward with an urgency to DO things before it is to late. Without death life would become stagnant.
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:36 am
Re: The inevitable death
Death does not serve any purpose. It is only a process that begins with our birth. And its reason is the fact that organized sistems, like our bodies, are subjected to a progressive decay. A sort of organic "entropy".
I was not designed to die or to live. I am an evolutionary entity, like you. And, besides, designed by whom?

I see my own inevitable death as something bad (not a moral judgement). Bad because it will be the end of my identity, my "I". That has nothing to do with the value of live. I live. I wish I could go on living, for ever.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:29 am
Death is necessary to our survival as a species. First, because we reproduce ourselves endlessly, it prevents us from overrunning our food and water supply. Second, because as we age and become less physically sound it moves us off the stage to make room for the younger and stronger. Third, it allows for evolutionary adaptation to changing environments, which would not occur if no one died.

Its all about the DNA. Once we have passed it on, or lived beyond the age when we should have, the DNA has no further need of us.

I agree with Aldistar's point as well. Death gives an urgency and preciousness to our individual lives that would be missing with immortality. To not die is actually a more fearful prospect than dying, if you think about it.

Although I would take a few hundred extra years (with reasonable health) if I could.
0 Replies

shelobo

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
We are dying from the moment of birth.The cycle of life.Some think the soul live's on some say it don't.Who is to know if our soul dies when the body give's out.To fear death is silly,as we ALL have to die.Like the season's,it's a cycle.Overpopulation and shortage of space on our earth would happen if we did'nt "Die"We are meant to die,as if we lived forever we would leave no history or legacy of our time's. Death is meant to be.With out it we would not survive as a human race.All living things come to a end.What each living thing has left behind ,is a garrantee that our specie's survive's.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:42 am
Shelobo: if we were immortals the concept of specie would have no meaning. Any individual would be the specie.
The same goes to reproduction. The need of reproduction only works for mortal entities. Immortal beings would not have the urge to reproduce themselves.
0 Replies

Bryxamus

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:08 am
we do as much good as possible with the time we have.
0 Replies