The Red Shift without Expansion

Krumple

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
Because you are using their respective reference points to make the measurement. Then you would complain and say both are moving and the only way you determine that is by creating a new reference frame and look at both spheres saying both are moving!

You're really one presumptive sumbitch, ya know that? You always want to tell me what I think.

You are not seeking any kind of dialogue. You just want a monologue where you speak for everybody. No questions. Just an audience that is fully cognizant of your omniscience.

Laymen don't take the word "you" personally as if I'm saying that I'm taking specifically about what you personally think. The "you" in my statement is anyone who examined this animation, what their brain would be doing, scrambling to determine the "real truth" of which sphere is moving and which is stationary.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:53 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

The "you" in my statement is anyone who examined this animation, what their brain would be doing, scrambling to determine the "real truth" of which sphere is moving and which is stationary.

Well, Krumps, ya know...Einstein desperately sought a way to conclude that one couldn't tell which one was rotating ("rolling"). He wanted to show that such motion was "relative." But, in the end, he had to admit defeat.

Centrifugal forces would always cause a "bulge" at the equator of such a sphere, which would identify it as the one which was moving.
Krumple

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:29 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Krumple wrote:

The "you" in my statement is anyone who examined this animation, what their brain would be doing, scrambling to determine the "real truth" of which sphere is moving and which is stationary.

Well, Krumps, ya know...Einstein desperately sought a way to conclude that one couldn't tell which one was rotating ("rolling"). He wanted to show that such motion was "relative." But, in the end, he had to admit defeat.

Centrifugal forces would always cause a "bulge" at the equator of such a sphere, which would identify it as the one which was moving.

Keep your hairs from splitting.

Make them floating blocks then.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 07:28 am
Krumple, I applaud your work here. You have accurately described several concepts in such a way as a non physics student can follow along and understand your concepts.

Layman wants desperately for there to be an absolute frame of reference. He won't allow for that not to exist and that is why he continues to not "get it".

As Einstein said. "Eetz all relateeve."

Additional, I thought this was interesting and pertaining to your thoughts

Quote:
Relativity sounds like a very strange theory. So why did anyone believe it? At first, many people didn’t. But Einstein pointed out that his theory was better than Newton’s theory of gravity because it solved a problem about the planet Mercury.

Astronomers keep good records about the orbits of planets moving about the sun. Mercury’s orbit puzzled them. Each trip around the sun, Mercury’s closest approach was a little beyond where it had been the orbit before. Why would the orbit change like that?

Some astronomers said that gravity from other planets must be tugging on Mercury and shifting its orbit a bit. But when they did the calculations, they found that gravity from the known planets couldn’t explain all of the shift. So some thought there might be another planet, closer to the sun, that also tugged on Mercury.

Einstein disagreed, arguing there was no other planet. Using his theory of relativity, he calculated how much Mercury’s orbit should shift. And it was exactly what astronomers had measured.

Still, this did not satisfy everyone. So Einstein recommended another way that scientists might test his theory. He pointed out that the sun’s mass should bend the light from a distant star slightly as its beam passed near to the sun. That bending would make the star’s position in the sky look like it was slightly moved from where it would usually be. Of course, the sun is too bright to see stars just beyond its edges (or anywhere when the sun is shining). But during a total eclipse, the sun’s intense light briefly becomes masked. And now stars become visible.

In 1919, astronomers trekked to South America and Africa to view a total eclipse of the sun. To test Einstein’s theory, they measured the locations of some stars. And the shift in the stars’ location was just what Einstein’s theory had predicted.

From then on, Einstein would be known as the man who replaced Newton’s theory of gravity.

Really good page for us novice's.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 07:38 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Layman wants desperately for there to be an absolute frame of reference. He won't allow for that not to exist and that is why he continues to not "get it"

That's a very strange thing for you to say, Gent. What in the world would make you think I "desperately want" that?

How about this:

Gent wants desperately to deny the possibility of an absolute frame of reference. He won't allow for that to exist and that is why he continues to not "get it"

0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 08:00 am
I was first introduced to special relativity when I was about 14 years old. I read a book on it, designed for the layman. At the time I thought it was the most fascinating, brilliant concept I had ever come across.

Over the next couple of years I probably re-read that book 3-4 times, trying to "master" all the concepts and the arguments in support of it. I was "convinced," but I always had the nagging feeling that there were some logical flaws and inconsistencies. But since I couldn't articulate what they were, I just chalked it up to my inability to "fully grasp" all the arguments.

Later, as an adult, I began investigating the topic again. I figured that this time around, all would be clear. It didn't quite work out that way. It still didn't seem to quite all add up, but I still couldn't fully say why I found it unconvincing.

I had long discussions with college professors about it, figuring they could cure my lack of understanding. My concern wasn't that it was "counter-intuitive" at all. It was just that I found all the "hand-waving" arguments I heard in support of it were unconvincing as a logical matter.

They would make flat pronouncements, but struggle to answer many of the questions I posed. Mainly all I got at the end was assurances that it *must* be right because it was "generally accepted."

Later, I began reading what some of SR's prominent critics had to say. Slowly I began to identify the serious theoretical short-comings of SR. The critics, together with my own reflection, answered all my questions, but not in a way that endorsed SR.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 08:28 am
@McGentrix,
Tell me, Gent, what is it about SR that convinces you it must be right? What concept, what argument(s) in it's favor, what postulates, etc. do you find to be thoroughly convincing?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:35 am
@Krumple,
Ive always used the power of thermodynamics to assess this entire segment of Hubbles theory.

WHAT would the basic temperature of the gqaxies and the universe in generl be without expansion.
Consider Penzias and Wilson's evidence
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:51 am
@layman,
Anything, Gent?

Anything at all?

I'll tell you the same thing I told Max. If you want to claim that the earth "really" orbits the sun (and you've stated that you do), then, ipso facto, you have rejected SR, according to Einstein himself, anyway.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:35 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

rfE. Stationary, only G and M are moving.
rfM. Stationary, only E and G are moving.
rfG. Stationary, only M and E are moving.

all are true within their respective reference frames.

Do you believe there is any such thing as objective reality, or are you just a total solipsist?

Let's say I truly believe you're a bot. Does that mean you actually are a bot? Is there any difference between a subjective belief and objective reality?

Put another way:
It's true that I believe you're a bot. To me (from my frame of reference) you are a bot.

Does that turn you into a bot?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:15 pm
@Krumple,
kump quote
"If you take a rubber band and mark a dot in the middle of the band then stretch it, the dot does not move. Same for space."

i have to interject a question here. If space itself is expanding, shouldn't ALL space be expanding, including the empty space in atoms? All the 'stuff' in space should be expanding right along with it so there would be no apparent expansion. The dot on the rubber band gets bigger too ya know.

Of course that would wreak havoc with all the cosmological constants so everything would go to hell. So I'd have to conclude that the fabric of space could not be expanding.
Krumple

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 06:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

kump quote
"If you take a rubber band and mark a dot in the middle of the band then stretch it, the dot does not move. Same for space."

i have to interject a question here. If space itself is expanding, shouldn't ALL space be expanding, including the empty space in atoms? All the 'stuff' in space should be expanding right along with it so there would be no apparent expansion. The dot on the rubber band gets bigger too ya know.

Of course that would wreak havoc with all the cosmological constants so everything would go to hell. So I'd have to conclude that the fabric of space could not be expanding.

It does but the force that holds the atom together over powers the expansion. However; it is possible that the rate of expansion in the future could be great enough to over power the force holding atoms together.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 06:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
youre tlking about totally different forces. intra atomic forces and chemical bonds involve shared charges of individul sub atomic particles.
Ionic radii DO vary within a chemical bond so the rdius of Sulfur in a sulfide, differes from the radius of Sulfur in a Sulphate, but none of them follow Hubble. They follow paulings ideas on "the nature of chemical bonds"
McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 07:29 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Anything, Gent?

Anything at all?

I'll tell you the same thing I told Max. If you want to claim that the earth "really" orbits the sun (and you've stated that you do), then, ipso facto, you have rejected SR, according to Einstein himself, anyway.

Work interuptus

When you say that I "want to claim that the earth "really" orbits the sun". What is your context? Do you mean the simple answer or the hard answer?
layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 10:34 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

When you say that I "want to claim that the earth "really" orbits the sun". What is your context? Do you mean the simple answer or the hard answer?

Well, Gent, I don't know what the difference is, for you. But that wasn't really the question I started ask. I was asking what you found so convincing that you now consider the theory to be unassailable. But your conclusions about the earth's motion may what convinces you, I don't know.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 10:48 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, Gent, I don't know what the difference is, for you. But that wasn't really the question I started ask. I was asking what you found so convincing that you now consider the theory to be unassailable. But your conclusions about the earth's motion may what convinces you, I don't know.

Unassailable? I never claimed that. Nothing in physics is unassailable. It's just the thing right now until the next thing comes along. I figure something in the next 20 or so years will open up quantum mechanics and that will add some math to things as they are now.

You've been the one arguing that Special Relativity is wrong, yet have not actually shown it to be in error. You've used the work of a cellular biologist who has a keen interest in physics to demonstrate a concept that others, actual physicists and astrophysicists, has shown to be bogus. You rely on semantics and paraphrasing to show that your guy is correct.

Meanwhile, we continue discussing the importance of a frame of reference and unless it is your specific frame of reference you won't have any of it. I am not sure why but you have decided that your train of thought is the only valid one and so that is that.

I have no claim to mastering physics. I am just a Biologist with a keen interest in physics...

layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You've used the work of a cellular biologist who has a keen interest in physics to demonstrate a concept that others, actual physicists and astrophysicists, has shown to be bogus.

Well, there are several things you're saying here that indicate to me that you don't really know what I've said, including what I've said about Kiperous.

Did you read this thread?
Did you read that particular paper?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:07 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, there are several things you're saying here that indicate to me that you don't really know what I've said, including what I've said about Kiperous.

Did you read this thread?
Did you read that particular paper?

Did you read any of my replies when you asked the same question the last 2 or 3 times?

Maybe the problem is that you don't know how to pose your questions without having some kind of puzzle attached to it or condition that has to be met just so...

Just a thought.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:10 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Did you read any of my replies when you asked the same question the last 2 or 3 times?

Yeah, as far as I know, I 've read all your posts in this thread. I don't know how I could have missed 2-3 answers, but I guess I did somehow. I assume you mean the 2 questions I asked about what you read.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:18 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Maybe the problem is that you don't know how to pose your questions without having some kind of puzzle attached to it or condition that has to be met just so...

Puzzle? I asked Max, and you, what I thought was a very simple question. I'll repeat it here:

It is possible for there to be a valid difference in what you measure a thing to be and what it is? Put another way: is it possible to "mis-measure" something?

As I recall, your answer was that that question couldn't possibly be answered.

I can't see why you can't answer it. It's not a "trick" question.