The Red Shift without Expansion

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:06 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

There is a group of MIT grads who are working on the reason the electron and proton have the mass that they have.

That question would presumably extend far beyond electrons and protons. As far as I know, nobody has been able to come up with any widely accepted explanation of why ANY matter has mass (resistance to acceleration). The "origin of inertia" remains a mystery.

Over a century ago Mach speculated that distant mass could explain local inertia, but many attempts to "prove" that thesis have fallen short. Einstein spent many years trying, and many times even thought he had succeeded, without success.

As you mentioned, virtually everything we "know" is inter-connected to everything else we (think we) "know." It's virtually impossible to look at the "totality" of things and still have a manageable perspective.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:06 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That is how science works. When so many experiments all confirm a theory, the theory is accepted until there is some legitimate experiment that is reproduceable and whose results don't fit into the currently theory.

Oh God, please shoot me before I have to listen to one more repetition -

Max, do you really believe we don't know this? Do you realize you are not addressing the questions asked of you?

It's very insulting, you know?
Olli S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:34 am
@layman,
Ok. That's good education anyway.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/3dlb/3d-vol2/48/warning-icon.png

Warning: This thread is not real science. Modern Physics has developed over more than 500 years of learning and study. There is a scientific process and a functioning scientific community based on education and study. Physics has always been heavily dependent on mathematics and has been successful at providing a mathematical model that can explain phenomina and make testable predictions. It is also a the core of modern technology.

The discussion on this thread has almost nothing to do with real Physics. What is happening on this thread involves people who instead of studying science in a University have developed their own ideas which they support by using Google.

Google can provide quotes, random facts and certainly entertainment. Google can not provide any meaningful education in Science, nor any in-depth understanding of scientific concepts.

If you are here for a random discussion of Google-based science which will entertain you, please indulge. If you stumble upon this thread while you are looking for any insight in actual scientific concepts, I suggest you look elsewhere.

No one should mistake this thread for actual science.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Max, do you really believe we don't know this? Do you realize you are not addressing the questions asked of you?

I think Max must fully realize that he really doesn't have the wherewithal to actually articulate any substantive position, eh, Leddy?

All he can do is resort to mindless repetition of the trivial "talking points" his creed has prepared for him to recite.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

... there are a great number of Physics laws for which we have found no explanation other than the mathematics (Feynman uses the Gravitation inverse squared law as an example).

So, I don't know what difference you are making between theory and math.

Newton clearly stated that he had no THEORY of gravitation at all. The "inverse square law" is NOT a scientific theory. It is only what it claims to be--a "law" (which is not a theory).

The erroneous claim you are trying to make--i.e., that math is scientific theory-- only serves to further demonstrate your lack of understanding of the issues involved.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:16 pm
@layman,
At this point you are just arguing for arguments sake. This has stopped being an interesting discussion and is now just a pissing match.

I am bored with it and that is why I have stopped participating. Stop being afraid of a different scientific perspective. No one knows everything and you know that. We all come from a background of different levels of expertise and education and we apply that differently.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

At this point you are just arguing for arguments sake. This has stopped being an interesting discussion and is now just a pissing match.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, Gent, but you're quite wrong about my motivations.

Quote:
Stop being afraid of a different scientific perspective.

Are you kidding? If you were following this thread at all, you would be saying that to Max, not those who don't share his parochial viewpoint.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:13 pm
Making empirical observations and then noting some apparently consistent correlations is not tantamount to inventing a scientific theory.

A three-year old kid, with no understanding of what they are designed for, might notice that the yardstick he plays with is exactly three times longer than the ruler he plays with.

His observation would be correct, but it would not amount to a scientific theory (which attempts to explain, not just catalog, empirically observable phenomena).
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:20 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

His observation would be correct, but it would not amount to a scientific theory (which attempts to explain, not just catalog, empirically observable phenomena).

This, by the way, is one of several reasons that Einstein himself was dissatisfied with SR. He admitted that it was merely a "principle theory" (which explains nothing) rather than a "constructive theory," and he of course believed that a constructive theory would be far superior.

As Lorentz noted at the time (paraphrasing): "Mr. Einstein has merely postulated what we have worked hard to explain."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:13 pm
Lorentz and Poincare were among the best (if not THE best) mathematicians of their time--far superior to Einstein in that respect. And Lorentz himself acknowledged that:

Quote:
Einstein's theory has the very highest degree of æsthetic merit: every lover of the beautiful must wish it to be true.

Yet to their dying day neither one of them accepted Einstein's unproven assertion that simultaneity is relative.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:38 pm
@layman,
You are not even getting the historical facts correct Layman.

(Not that it matters, Physics is settled on which theories can provide a testable mathematical model that is then confirmed by experiment and observation -- not on personalities).

Here is what Lorentz (who supported Einsteins work on General Relativity) actually said.

Quote:
Einstein's work, we may now positively expect, will remain a monument of science; his theory entirely fulfills the first and principal demand that we may make, that of deducing the course of phenomena from certain principles exactly and to the smallest details. It was certainly fortunate that he himself put the ether in the background; if he had not done so, he probably would never have come upon the idea that has been the foundation of all his examinations.

Thanks to his indefatigable exertions and perseverance, for he had great difficulties to overcome in his attempts, Einstein has attained the results, which I have tried to sketch, while still young; he is now 45 years old. He completed his first investigations in Switzerland, where he first was engaged in the Patent Bureau at Berne and later as a professor at the Polytechnic in Zurich. After having been a professor for a short time at the University of Prague, he settled in Berlin, where the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute afforded him the opportunity to devote himself exclusively to his scientific work. He repeatedly visited our country and made his Netherland colleagues, among whom he counts many good friends, partners in his studies and his results. He attended the last meeting of the department of natural philosophy of the Royal Academy of Sciences, and the members then had the privilege of hearing him explain, in his own fascinating, clear and simple way, his interpretations of the fundamental questions to which his theory gives rise.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are not even getting the historical facts correct Layman

What "historical facts" could you possibly be referring to, Max? Care to elaborate (for once)? Nothing I said had anything to do with GR. I was talking about SR. Nothing you quoted had anything to do with SR. What's up with that?

He does refer to "the ether," (which SR rejected) in a GR context. What he was talking about was Einstein's later claim that the prospect of GR, without an ether, would be "unthinkable."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:51 pm
Quote:
Ether and the Theory of Relativity

by Albert Einstein

According to the general theory of relativity space without ether is unthinkable; for in such space there not only would be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time (measuring-rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals in the physical sense.

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Extras/Einstein_ether.html
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, you've said you're not that familiar with GR. Nor am I. I certainly don't purport to be any kind of expert on the topic. That said, I am capable of reading what those with expertise have to say.

Maybe you're not aware of the fact that, in GR, gravitational time distortion is NOT relative. It is absolute.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Physics is settled on which theories can provide a testable mathematical model that is then confirmed by experiment and observation.

You've made this contentless statement repeatedly, ad nauseum. But you also forget (as you have been forced to admit--but then always "forget to remember") that EVERY experiment and observation which can be argued to "confirm" SR is one that "confirms" LR.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:50 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Max, you've said you're not that familiar with GR. Nor am I. I certainly don't purport to be any kind of expert on the topic. That said, I am capable of reading what those with expertise have to say.

Maybe you're not aware of the fact that, in GR, gravitational time distortion is NOT relative. It is absolute.

I have taken courses in General Relativity. This involved reading papers, doing problem sets, working through the math, and taking exams. I don't know as much as Hawking or Neil Degrasse Tyson, but I studied enough to learn something.

You haven't even acknowledged that learning the math is important.

This is like arguing literature with someone who has yet to master the alphabet.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is like arguing literature with someone who has yet to master the alphabet.

Get real, Max. You haven't "argued" with anyone in the sense of engaging in honest debate. Repeatedly attacking someone with empty, unsupported allegations and blustering proclamations is not "arguing."

You virtually NEVER respond to the substance of any claims you choose to denounce. You just declare them wrong, accompanied by the declaration that you know better because you've been to college.
0 Replies

Olli S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 09:47 am
@maxdancona,
Yes. This is not only physics tread. This is a cosmology tread. A philosophical tread of the premises of the cosmology, does it or does it not follow from the red shift the expansion of the space of the universe. There is no need for such warnings!!! Shame on you!

The sun does rise from the east and goes down in the west. It does not follow that the sun goes round the earth.

The red shift tells that the galaxies are going away from us in the manner the science says. This is science. It does not follow that the space of the universe is expanding. This is logic, philosophy, investigation of the premises of the cosmological theories, looking of the possible models where there is no beginning and no expansion for the space of the universe. It does not need the exact knowledge of the mathematics of the ptolemaios'ian model or the GR and BB models.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 09:57 am
@Olli S,
Olli S wrote:

A> The red shift tells that the galaxies are going away from us in the manner the science says.

B> This is science. It does not follow that the space of the universe is expanding.

C> This is logic,

These three things cannot all be written the way you have done so. I know that this goes back to your original post but looking back into time we can almost get back to the big bang. Are you saying that the Universe is infinitely huge and galaxies are just moving into that space or that galaxies are not actually moving away from us?