Can anybody tell me what's inside this sealed box?

zeta69

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:42 pm
Hi

I have a problem with a christmas decoration that won't light up. I used a non-contact voltage tester, and the current seems to stop before going through this box:

https://s23.postimg.org/9grwxnkff/IMG_20170108_193037321_COLLAGE.jpg

The black stains tells me something burnt. Is this just a fuse box? It's sealed, there is no openings, so I can't tell what's inside. If it's just that I could just replace it by another one, right? The decoration doesn't have any sort of animation or special mode, it just lights the lightbulbs. Or would there be something inside to adjust the current for the circuit?

Would anybody know?

Thank you in advance!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 855 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:06 pm
https://s23.postimg.org/9grwxnkff/IMG_20170108_193037321_COLLAGE.jpg
zeta69

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you!!!
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 09:28 pm
OMG...ITS THE DETINATION CORD FOR A NUCLEAR DEVICE...RUN!!!
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 12:36 am
@zeta69,
It must be a transformer. Changes AC house current to DC current for the lights. There's no other reason for a box on a cord like this.
zeta69

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:29 am
@TomTomBinks,
Thank you Tom, you must be right. Would there be a way for me to know to what DC voltage it was converting the input? If I knew it would be very easy to replace. Since it's dead I can't do any tests Sad

If not, would it be safe to just grab any multi voltage adapter and just start trying at the lowest setting and go up?
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:03 am
@zeta69,
Looking at the bulbs in the decoration itself might be useful. LED lights use anywhere from 3 to 6 volts (depending on color). Mini incandescent bulbs use 2.5 volts. Maybe there is a tag on the decoration that states the voltage? I'm surprised that the cord itself doesn't have input and output information printed on it. Maybe there is a numerical code on the cord somewhere, and if you bought another try to match the codes.
zeta69

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:37 pm
@TomTomBinks,

Thanks again Tom.

I wasn't able to find any. But I grabbed one of the lightbulbs and tried to light it up with different battery packs. In the end it needed around 4-5V. However, I tried using an adapter and of course, it was not enough to light up everything (max 12V). It has a lot of lights.

I checked a christmas tree I have, and it doesn't have any sort of conversion from ac to dc, so I decided to give it a try and plug the decoration directly to the current. It worked well, everything lit up, so I have to assume that the box really is just a package for the fuses. It really sucks, it's a block of thick plastic and I don't have the proper tools to just break it and peek inside, but I don't know what else it could be!
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:46 pm
@zeta69,
Smile
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 12:04 am
Xmas lights are cheap, particularly if you buy them after Xmas when everything is marked down. Just buy a new string, don't mess around dtrying to bypass whatever the box is doing, because you don't want to burn down your tree and your house overloading a mystery string through ignorance of what it's doing.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 12:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Just throw the suckers out, black stains are kind of an indication you don't want to mess with it. If it's an old incandescent string, all the more reason to throw it out and go LED which use a fraction of the wattage.
zeta69

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 07:19 am
@MontereyJack,
Yes of course, I was always going to throw the​ box away, I just wanted to know what it contained so that I could replace it and keep at least the lights since they are in good condition. It seemed a shame to throw the whole thing away.

The lights are LEDs already, they are not incandescent bulbs

https://s28.postimg.org/x6jiil8od/IMG_20170109_WA0007.jpghebergeur d images
0 Replies