U.S. Launches Airstrikes on Falluja....

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:36 am
Full story here: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Iraq.html?ex=1255579200&en=260fa5a281074b44&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt

"U.S. Launches Airstrikes on Falluja
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 15, 2004

Filed at 8:17 a.m. ET

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- U.S. warplanes pounded the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah on Friday, a day after the city's leaders suspended peace talks and rejected the Iraqi government's demands to turn over terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Meanwhile, a car bomb exploded near a police station in southwest Baghdad, killing one and injuring at least 11 others, according to the Interior Ministry and hospital officials.

Al-Zarqawi's Tawhid and Jihad group has claimed responsibility for Thursday's twin bombings inside Baghdad's heavily guarded Green Zone -- home to U.S. officials and the Iraqi leadership -- which killed six people, including three American civilians. A fourth American was missing and presumed dead.

Two Iraqis were killed, at least one of them a suicide bomber. The identity of the other wasn't known. The group's claim, which could not be verified, was posted on a Web site known for its Islamic contents.

Thursday's bold, unprecedented attack, which witnesses and a senior Iraqi official said was carried out by suicide bombers, dramatized the militants' ability to penetrate the heart of the U.S.-Iraqi leadership even as authorities step up military operations to suppress Sunni Muslim insurgents in other parts of the country......."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,022 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Thok

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 05:05 am
Before the urban war in Fallujah starts:

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,405658,00.jpg AP

US-Soldiers disport the time and plays "Ben Hur" games with confiscated horses.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:37 am
And now:

Battle rages in Falluja streets

Troops have been gradually forcing their way into Falluja
Up to 15,000 US and Iraqi troops are continuing a full-scale assault on the insurgent stronghold of Falluja.
Overnight the city was attacked from all sides, by ground and air. Explosions and flares lit up the sky.

Correspondents say soldiers have advanced at least one kilometre into the city amid intense fighting.

US and Iraqi officials hope the assault, deeply unpopular with some Iraqis, will help prepare the way for elections in January.

But it is estimated there could be tens of thousands of civilians still in the city.

The BBC's Paul Wood, embedded with US soldiers - and whose reporting is subject to military restrictions - says more than 12 hours after the assault began, the sounds of battle are still constant from Falluja.

Click below for a satellite image of Falluja

Enlarge Image

He says the battalion he is accompanying took its first serious casualties as they advanced street by street, clearing out insurgents who are fighting for every inch of ground.

A US tank commander said guerrillas were putting up a strong fight in the Jolan district.

"These people are hardcore," Capt Robert Bodisch told Reuters news agency.

"A man pulled out from behind a wall and fired an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) at my tank. I have to get another tank to go back in there."

'Hell'

As yet there is no indication of casualty numbers from the main assault.

One Falluja resident, Fadril al-Badrani, speaking by phone to the BBC, described conditions as like hell and said hundreds of bombs and shells were exploding every minute.

In other developments:

Iraq's largest Sunni-led political party says it will pull out of the interim government unless the Falluja attack is stopped

The US military denies reports that one of its helicopters has been shot down over the city

A militant group vows to attack targets around Iraq in response to the offensive

A suspected car bomb hits an Iraqi National Guard base near the northern city of Kirkuk

Rebels target police stations in Baquba, north of Baghdad
The main railway station in Falluja has already been taken and has been occupied by Iraqi soldiers.
Troops also took control of the city's main hospital in the run-up to the assault.

In one incident, the US military said it had carried out a missile attack on a suspected insurgent-held building.......

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3994605.stm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
US troops reach central Falluja

US troops have been rounding up suspects in Falluja as fighting rages
US-led forces say they reached the centre of the rebel-held Iraqi city of Falluja on the second day of their full-scale assault.
US and Iraqi forces have been fighting insurgents armed with rifles and mortars street by street.

At least three US soldiers were killed in the city on Tuesday and a US general told reporters there were "significant" casualties among the insurgents.

One man who fled the city told the BBC the streets were littered with bodies.

Earlier, the US-led troops reached a key objective - a mosque in the northern part of Falluja that the US said was being used as an arms depot and a meeting point for the leaders of the insurgency.

URBAN WARFARE

Techniques, tactics and the history of fighting in cities

The BBC's Paul Wood - who is with US troops outside Falluja and whose reports are subject to military restrictions - said street battles had been going on in eastern and north-western districts.

He says the battle for the complete possession of the city is about to begin.

Lt Gen Thomas Metz, the multinational ground force commander in Iraq, told reporters at the Pentagon, via a video-phone, that troops had achieved their objectives in Falluja on or ahead of schedule - but he said the fight for the city was far from over.

"I think we're looking at several more days of tough urban fighting," he said.

Enlarge Image

He said the insurgents were fighting hard and operating in small teams. But he said they were not always fighting to the death, instead falling back to continue the battle.

A BBC Arabic reporter in Falluja said on Tuesday evening that US forces had withdrawn from his neighbourhood in the centre of the city, leaving behind some snipers.....

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3994605.stm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:16 pm
I can't believe that we are witnessing this again, so soon after the US election. But what I find even stranger is the lack of protest by ordinary people, the type of protest we saw, world-wide, after the initial US invasion of Iraq. Have we become desensitized? Or have we given up any hope that we can have any influence? This is very depressing.

The silence of Fallujah
November 10, 2004

..This is how the fantasy runs: a city of mostly ordinary people is now only ever referred to as a "militants' stronghold" or "insurgents' redoubt". The city is being "softened up" with precision attacks from the air. Pacifying Fallujah has become the key to stabilising the country before the January elections. The "final assault" is imminent, in which the foreigners who have infiltrated the almost deserted Iraqi city with their extremist Islam will be "cleared", "rooted out" or "crushed". Or, as one marine put it: "We will win the hearts and minds of Fallujah by ridding the city of insurgents. We're doing that by patrolling the streets and killing the enemy."

..The reality is that a city can never be adequately described as a "militants' stronghold". It's a label designed to stiffen the heart of a soldier, but it is blinding us, the democracies that have inflicted this war, to the consequences of our actions. Fallujah is still home to thousands of civilians. Estimates of the number who have fled the prospective assault vary, but there could be 100,000 or more still in their homes. Typically, as in any war, those who don't get out of the way are a mixture of the most vulnerable - the elderly, the poor, the sick; the unlucky, who left it too late to get away; and the insanely brave, such as medical staff.

..The recent comment of one Fallujah resident is strikingly poignant: "Why," she asked wearily, "don't they go and fight in a desert away from houses and people?" Why indeed? Twentieth-century warfare ensured a remarkable historical inversion. Once the city had been the place of safety to retreat to in a time of war, the place of civilisation against the barbarian wilderness; but the invention of aerial bombardment turned the city into a target, a place of terror.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Opinion/The-silence-of-Fallujah/2004/11/09/1099781388908.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
The words, of course, are nonsense - however, I wonder if the silence is because, having broken the damn thing (such as it was) the only way to hope to build any kind of decent Iraq is to try to hand over a country free of a strong rebel force to the elected Iraqi government - such as it may be?????

I mean, I was, as you know, against the war - but I thnk we now cannot just leave the place an unholy mess.\\

Thing is, how would we know when it turned from an enterprise with some hope of success, to a mess that no amount of foreign killers can put right, and where the suffering is useless.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
Thing is, too, the insurgents ARE sheltering in the city - it's not like the US troops can just wait out in the desert for them to arrive and fight a nice pitched battle.

They ain't stupid....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:54 pm
Yes, but it's the same sort of mentality that led to the bombing/de-forestation of Vietnam, to remove the Vietcong "guerillas". It doesn't work! The "enemy" survives & persists & it's the ordinary people who suffer. The same ordinary people whose hearts & minds the US is hoping to win over. Bombing the **** out of a place does not win converts. It alienates people. With good reason! When will we ever learn? <sigh>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
I mean, I was, as you know, against the war - but I thnk we now cannot just leave the place an unholy mess.\\

<sigh>
I sincerely believe that bombing Fallujah is creating a BIGGER unholy mess, Deb. And I suspect it will be a rallying call for more anti-US crazies to escalate their activities. In their eyes the thinking would be: See, Bush won the election & he's begun the bombing again.
I honestly don't believe that you can bomb a country into democracy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:08 pm
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/09/9n_cartoon_gallery__550x320.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

<sigh>
I sincerely believe that bombing Fallujah is creating a BIGGER unholy mess, Deb. And I suspect it will be a rallying call for more anti-US crazies to escalate their activities. In their eyes the thinking would be: See, Bush won the election & he's begun the bombing again.
I honestly don't believe that you can bomb a country into democracy.

yeah - that's where this:

"Thing is, how would we know when it turned from an enterprise with some hope of success, to a mess that no amount of foreign killers can put right, and where the suffering is useless. "

bit came in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:55 pm
I guess I don't seriously entertain the idea that attacking an Iraqi city (again, following the Bush victory) will achieve much, Deb. It just seems like more of the same approach, which led to the current mess.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:01 pm
Yeah - but, what, in your view, should be done now?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 12:46 am
That is very hard to know, sitting here at my computer in Melbourne, Australia, Deb! Confused It is very easy to say the US shouldn't have gone there in the first place, nor should Australia have followed. But god, I wish they hadn't! I know you feel the same.
And it would have been so much more helpful if the UN had not been so undermined by the US, too. As faulty as it is, it's the best available avenue for a "negotiated settlement" that we have. The only solution, if there IS such a thing Confused , that I can come up with is for the US to be less implicated in in the "solution" for the mess it's created. It would be so much more helpful if it didn't start bombing another Iraqi city so soon after the US election. It would be so much more helpful if the US, having created this mess, had more patience & more willingness to allow the Iraqis find a solution to their own very real difficulties ... with the financial support of the US. But that would mean a long haul, no quick solutions & many more millions of US dollars spent with no great political gain for Bush & co. Say nothing of the Iraqis not coming up with a solution that suits the US!
Hell, there are greater minds than mine to work out the best outcome for this terrible situation! But one thing I'm certain of: the US bombing yet another Iraqi city, in the hope of killing off "insurgents"is not going to lead to peace & democracy in Iraq. It will simply create more resistance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:54 am
Sure - but hard to unscramble the egg now, right?

Seems to me we need to make decisions now based on the current situation. I am unsure that leaving the insurgents to bomb and kill at will is the answer.

of course, you may well be right.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:55 am
I guess it depends on how much Iraqi will there really is to create a country NOT based on the stupid fundamentalism of the majority of the insurgents?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 04:56 am
From BBC reporter in Falluja:

'Watching tragedy engulf my city'
US and Iraqi forces are locked in desperate street battles against insurgents in the Iraqi city of Falluja. The BBC News website spoke by phone to Fadhil Badrani, a journalist in Falluja who reports for the BBC World Service in Arabic.

Iraqi man buries his brother in Falluja
I am surrounded by thick black smoke and the smell of burning oil.

There was a big explosion a few minutes ago and now I can hear gunfire.

A US armoured vehicle has been parked on the street outside my house in the centre of the city.

From my window, I can see US soldiers moving around on foot near it.

They tried to go from house to house but they kept coming under fire.

Now they are firing back at the houses, at anything that moves. It is war on the streets.

The American troops look like they have given up trying to go into buildings for now and are just trying to control the main roads.

I am sitting here on my own, watching tragedy engulf my city.

Looks like Kabul

I was with some of the Falluja fighters earlier. They looked tired - but their spirits were high and they were singing.

Local fighters have reportedly been joined by Iraqis from other cities
Recently, many Iraqis from other parts of the country have been joining the local men against the Americans.

No one has had much sleep in the past two days of heavy fighting and of course, it is still Ramadan, so no one eats during the day.

I cannot say how many people have been killed but after two days of bombing, this city looks like Kabul.

Large portions of it have been destroyed but it is so dangerous to leave the house that I have not been able to find out more about casualties.

Mosques silent

A medical dispensary in the city centre was bombed earlier.

I don't know what has happened to the doctors and patients who were there.

It was last place you could get medical attention because the big hospital on the outskirts of Falluja was captured by the Americans on Monday.

Enlarge Image

A lot of the mosques have also been bombed.

For the first time in Falluja, a city of 150 mosques, I did not hear a single call to prayer this morning.

I broke my Ramadan fast yesterday with the last of our food - two potatoes and two tomatoes.

The tomatoes were rotten because we have no electricity to run the fridge.

My neighbours - a woman and her children - came to see me yesterday. They asked me to tell the world what is happening here.

I look at the devastation around me and ask - why?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3996111.stm

Action - and reaction:

Rebels 'stage show of strength'

Iraqi rebels seized the centre of the city of Ramadi and attacked police stations elsewhere as US-led troops continued their Falluja assault.
Armed insurgents in Ramadi moved in when US troops withdrew from the Sunni city, a former rebel stronghold.

Iraqi police and national guard stations in Baquba, Kirkuk and Baghdad were also targeted - reports speak of a number of casualties.

The US military said it "associated" the attacks with the Falluja assault.

"The enemy is concentrating on Iraqi security forces " to intimidate them, US Lieutenant General Thomas Metz told reporters at a Pentagon briefing.

Show of force

In Ramadi, about 113km (70 miles) west of Baghdad, hundreds of armed insurgents massed to the heart of the city after US troops had withdrawn.

Rebels - who have recently been fighting US troops in the city - are reported to have been dancing and shooting into the air in a show of force, the BBC's Caroline Hawley in Iraq reports.

"The residents of Ramadi condemn the attack against Falluja and we appeal to the inhabitants of Ramadi to wage jihad [holy war] against the American occupants who want to eradicate Islam," one city resident was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

On Tuesday, rebels also targeted several police stations in and around Baquba, about 60km (40 miles) north of Baghdad, Iraqi officials said.

A number of police officers were injured in the attacks and at least one attacker killed, reports say.

In the oil-rich Kurdish town of Kirkuk - about 250km (155 miles) north of Baghdad - a suspected car bomb outside an Iraqi national guard based killed at least two people, officials said.

In a separate incident, a group of armed men attacked a police station in south-western Doura neighbourhood in Baghdad, police said.

A police source said he believed there were casualties, but gave no details, Reuters news agency reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3997461.stm

Sounds like what Msolga said...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:03 am
Will it achieve anything???

A BBC analysis:

Beginning of the end?

By Paul Reynolds
World Affairs correspondent, BBC News website

The battle for Falluja is supposed to be the beginning of the end.

US troops begin assault on Falluja
The plan is that US troops, supported by forces from the interim Iraqi government, will drive a stake through the heart of the insurgency, thereby opening the way for elections to take place across the country on 27 January next year.

In turn, those elections are designed to produce a transitional assembly and government, leading to a new constitution and a fully elected government by the end of next year, after which the foreign troops can think of leaving.

Is this therefore a decisive moment?

The problem with "decisive moments" is that they tend not to be so and to be followed by other decisive moments.

The battle for Falluja is one that the Americans and the interim Iraqi government have to fight if they are to impose their will on the country.

Historical parallels

It is, however, at best a stage in the pacification of Iraq and not the solution itself.

It incidentally shows that Saddam Hussein's prediction that the real war would begin only after the invasion had some truth in it.

A parallel is being drawn in some quarters with the British Army's Operation Motorman in 1972 in which "no-go areas" held by the Irish Republican Army were retaken. That, too, was declared as a decisive moment.

The issue is whether the Iraqi forces play a more substantial role than that of video extras

If it was, it took a long time to take effect. The IRA decided to melt away and fight another day. And the fight lasted another 30 years or so.

Another parallel more relevant perhaps for the US marines is the battle they fought to regain control of the South Vietnamese city of Hue after the Vietcong's Tet offensive in January 1968.

That battle was seen at the time as instrumental in bolstering the South Vietnamese government but in the long run the Vietcong and the North Vietnamese won anyway.

The marines are hoping that this time the final outcome will be different - that the insurgents will prove to have no real strength in depth, no easy source of supply and that they can be beaten.

The rebels in Falluja, or at least some of them, appear to have decided to fight.....

Full analysis: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3992315.stm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:05 am
Prayers and tears:

Prayers and tears in Falluja
The Iraqi city of Falluja is braced for an assault by US forces massed on its outskirts.
We spoke by phone to Fadhil Badrani, a journalist in Falluja who reports for the BBC World Service in Arabic.

When I hear bombs falling around my neighbourhood, I keep thinking - any moment now, I could be killed.

It is worst during the night, when the bombardment is most intense.

Inside Falluja: Part One
If a big bomb lands somewhere nearby, you often hear crying and wailing afterwards.

It is a very strange feeling because in between the screaming, there is the sound of more missiles flying.

That is when I think - I could be next.

Another sound you hear during the bombing is that of prayers. People pray loudly because they are so scared.

Sometimes, you hear people say quite unusual things - they improvise, making up their own prayers.

US election

We followed the US elections very closely from Falluja.

It was a matter of life and death. Many people were hoping John Kerry would win because they felt he would not have allowed our city to be attacked like this.

Of course, we also know that the US policy in Iraq at large is not going to change. We do not forget that George Bush and John Kerry are two sides of the same coin.

Still, as far as our city is concerned right now, a Kerry victory would have brought some hope.

Roads blocked

I left my old house in the north of the city a month ago, when the Americans began bombing that area all the time.

Now I live with a small group of friends near the centre of Falluja.

US bombing raids cause fresh casualties every day
We are just men here. All our wives and children have left the city - some we sent to Baghdad, others to quieter areas closer by.

We cook and eat together and spend most of our time in the house.

If you want to leave the house, the safest time to do so is between seven in the morning and one in the afternoon, when the Americans take a break from the bombing.

The souk [market] in the centre of Falluja is open from morning to midday and, fortunately, it has not run out of food so far.

But I can't see how long the supplies will last - two days ago, the government said it was cutting off the roads from Falluja to Baghdad and Ramadi.

I don't know what we will eat then.

I guess we might still be able to grab hold of some meat - I've seen a lot of goats in the city.

There is only one road out of the city that is still open now - but it runs through a checkpoint manned by US soldiers.

We think they're going to cut this route off quite soon as well.

Hospitals

A lot of people have left Falluja. Mostly only men remain.

Food may soon run out because key roads to the city are closed
This used to be a city of 500,000 people.

Now, my guess is there are about 100,000 still here.

Some people who tried to leave earlier on found they had to come back because there was no way of surviving away from their homes.

Iraq is a difficult place to live at the moment. There are not many opportunities.

The hospitals I have seen are full of people but empty of supplies and medicine. The erratic electricity also makes operating difficult.

Ten to 18 new cases are brought in every day.

The injured know they won't get much treatment. They come just to be near the doctor, to hear the doctor talk to them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3986085.stm
0 Replies

Aris

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:07 am
Excerpt from the NYT, Nov.8:

G.I.'s Open Attack to Take Falluja From Iraq Rebels

Quote:
It was the second time in six months that a battle had raged in Falluja. In April, American troops were closing in on the city center when popular uprisings broke out in cities across Iraq. The outrage, fed by mostly unconfirmed reports of large civilian casualties, forced the Americans to withdraw.

American commanders regarded the reports as inflated, but it was impossible to determine independently how many civilians had been killed. The hospital was selected as an early target because the American military believed that it was the source of rumors about heavy casualties.

"It's a center of propaganda," a senior American officer said Sunday.

This time around, the American military intends to fight its own information war, countering or squelching what has been one of the insurgents' most potent weapons. The military hopes that if it can hold its own in that war, then the armed invasion - involving as many as 25,000 American and Iraqi troops, all told - will smash what has become the largest remaining insurgent stronghold in Iraq.

And with only three months to go until the country's first democratic elections, American and Iraqi officials are grasping for any tool at their command to bring the insurgency under control.

And a comment on the article from Empire Notes:
Quote:

The hospital was one of the primary initial targets of the assault, occupied by U.S. soldiers, with patients and doctors initially handcuffed. Later, doctors were allowed to resume treating patients, but it's for damn sure that few if any of Fallujah's wounded will be brought there -- and, in fact, with both bridges seized, it will be nearly impossible (Fallujah General is across the Euphrates from most of the city), as it was during the last assault.

It was selected as a target because it was the source of "rumors" that were "unconfirmed" about civilian casualties -- i.e., doctors who treated the patients and communicated with other doctors treating patients compiled estimates and gave them to those few journalists who wanted to know.

The U.S. military, of course, which claims never to count civilian dead, and distances itself from the people of Fallujah with a wall of metal, gunfire, artillery fire, and heavy bombs, is in a much better position to estimate civilian dead than the doctors who treat them.

The military "intends to fight its own information war." Of course, information about the truth has been a "potent weapon" for those who oppose the invasion, because Iraqis, Arabs in general, some Western Europeans, and a handful of Americans have learned that truth and tried to act on it.

That must be changed. Since hospitals and information itself are the primary initial targets, the only conclusion can be that the United States wants to cover up in advance the atrocities it will commit, atrocities almost certainly on a greater scale than in the last assault.

When the United States bombed Serbian TV during the war on Yugoslavia, with the same rationale that it spread propaganda and was thus a military target, Amnesty International determined that the attack was a war crime. How much greater a war crime it is to occupy a hospital (oh, and just by the way, the U.S. military is launching attacks on the resistance from positions near the hospital, thus making it in effect a military target for the other side as well) because it is reporting on the victims of this brutal assault.

If you want a symbol of Bush's second term, at home and abroad, there is no more potent one than this action.
0 Replies