smog's thread of ongoingness

willow tl

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:06 pm
I grew up listening to my moms englebert humperdink albums...i thought he had great eyebrows..tom jones was a hottie...then as a teenager i found R&B...Marvin, the commodores, ew&f, whispers, Smokey...great stuff..
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:20 pm
cavfancier wrote:
A short list:

Classics:

Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Damned
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
The Dead Kennedys
The Minutemen
Minor Threat/Fugazi
The Angry Samoans
The Replacements
Many hardcore bands with offensive names and very loud short songs

Local:

The Young Lions
No Means No (who I would classify as 'jazzcore')

I'm sure I can think of more.....be back later.

Punk lovers unite! I love MInor Threat,DK and the Clash. Good list so far cav...I'll add some of my favorites:

Pegboy
Naked Raygun
The Vindictives
Descendants
The Queers
Screeching Weasle
Superchunk
Sludgeworth
Sebadoh (a great pot smoking band)
Face to Face
The Pixies (an all time great)
Operation Ivy (Great Ska band)
The Mr. T Experience
The Lillingtons
Jaw Breaker
Dinosaur Jr. (before they went soft)
The Kinks (not so much punk but really good rock)
Built to Spill
Bad Religion

Ohh... I'm STARTING TO FEEL THE ROCK NOW!!!!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
Oh and I forgot GBH, sonic youth and 7 Seconds.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:37 pm
Hell yeah...I recognized most of the bands there. 7 Seconds rocked!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
I just found out that Bad Religion is playing in Milwaukee at the end of the month... I am trying to decide if I want to be the old guy rockin' out in the corner that I used to make fun of when I was younger.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
I just found out that Bad Religion is playing in Milwaukee at the end of the month... I am trying to decide if I want to be the old guy rockin' out in the corner that I used to make fun of when I was younger.

Well, the best part about being an aging punk rocking out at a concert is that when the kiddies make fun of you, you can bitch slap them and call it education. Then, if they say "hey man, you can't do that, we're gonna sue your ass," just say "I can afford better lawyers, PUNKS!"
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
LOL! I like your style cav.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:57 pm
Laughing Once, back as a teen, I went to an 'alternative' record store looking for an EP by The Swans. I found it, plopped it on the counter, and the checkout guy laughed. I asked "What's so funny?"

He said "You don't look like a Swans fan."

I said "You don't look like an employee. Can I have my change please?"

I still have that EP.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
willow_tl wrote:
I grew up listening to my moms englebert humperdink albums...i thought he had great eyebrows..tom jones was a hottie...then as a teenager i found R&B...Marvin, the commodores, ew&f, whispers, Smokey...great stuff..

And now? Smile
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
just as a little side note... in highschool i was in a ska band (playing trumpet) called Peg75... it was a little honor to the ones who came before ya know...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:14 pm
Ska memories:

The Specials
The English Beat
The Selector
Madness in the early days
Hot and heavy tracks by Desmond Dekker
The Melodians
Jimmy Cliff...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
I played the trumpet in High School as well. I was pretty good but got bored with it and gave up. The funny thing is my mom said someday I would regret quitting... and I do. I also used to play the piano and gave that up too. But mostly because I couldn't take a piano with me when I moved.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:17 pm
cavfancier wrote:

Madness in the early days.

Madness rocks!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:20 pm
Desmond Dekker rocks more, but I digress.

My first instrument was piano, then guitar, harmonica, violin and viola. At one point, I was fascinated by medieval music, and learned how to tune my guitar to lute setting, and where to put the capo to get a more authentic quality.

Music rocks. :cool:
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
yea i stopped playing the trumpet and really started rocking out with the guitar and the bass... been playing those for ever... i love them... i still mess around with my trumpet but nothing that would worth anything.... couldnt be in highschool band anymore
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:22 pm
I gave up music myself jp, but went into cooking instead. I'm happy there.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:23 pm
Just as a side note, I once owned a cheap-ass bass guitar that was blown up in a video. I donated the thing for a good cause.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
i volunteer with the youth at my church and they are forever setting something on fire and jumping over it on a skate board...they want to do that with a pumpkin tomorrow... i find it rather funny... im usually there to call 911 or put out the fire... and take pictures... its usually pretty good fun... they want to do a acoustic guitar as well
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:10 am
I was also in a ska band back in the day, Seed. I played bass and wasn't very good. The band "broke up ... and ... reformed without me," as the Ben Folds Five song goes, although my old band kept the same name. I haven't really played popular music since then.

As for punk: Well, being from DC originally and moving to Chicago later on served to keep me up-to-date with the latest punk and other great rock. These days, though, I'm much more into "newgrass," go figure.

Cav, I started out on the viola, so I gotta give you a high-five. I picked up the guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, and violin over the years, although I was really only good at the viola. But damn, I could play that thing. I still play a couple times a year in pit orchestras, but I'm not very serious anymore. Maybe someday soon I'll dust that old thing off and give it another go.

Umm, and Seed, maybe it's not the best idea to be letting these kids set fires under your watch, even if you are keeping an eye on them, but then again, I've never been very well known for my judgment.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:13 am
Thread name changed because I'm bored!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/25/2024 at 11:25:35