Help me write...

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:13 pm
....more understandably, It's been suggested by a few apparently angry at all times about nearly everything that I should cease using unfamiliar terms and abbreviations so if you're at all interested how about a vote of some sort

I'd happily comply if at the same time we might start a new posting exclusively inviting the contribution of any such words or phrases I might avoid. But of course each might be accompanied by one or more acceptable equivalents, eg

Collo: Short for "colloquial," uncommon except in a2k postings where a few participants hope to avoid tens or hundreds or thousands of unnecessary keystrokes. Ref http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/colloquial?s=t

Newcomers might be advised, a message thru a software trick of some sort, that any posting having title preceded by a certain symbol might be beyond the comprehension of the esl, with apology of the writer

Also it could be macde clear that it is entirely unnecessary to read any such posting either starting with said symbol or identifyinbg a particular participant (me)

Thanks guys and I wonder if you might suggest any other approaches:

Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:23 pm
@dalehileman,
was born in a q 4 w.u. At the time s-cs were no longer.

As you can see from the above dale, random choppings and abbreviations aren't always easy to decipher. Try writing things out fully as. Much as possible, it saves from confusion and helps reduce the glares you've been known to get.

By the way, I would never have thought Collo was short for colloquial. Might have thought it was about colloidal silver😃😃 or perhaps a colloquy.

Anywho, unless you are being intentionally disruptive and/or abusive in your dispersal of thoughts/ideas, stop getting in a tizzy over what someone else here...or anywhere might think.

Go, and sin no more ( of necessarily less, just not more)
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:59 pm
Dal,

I just thought that your collos were so forced and contrived.

Olivier5

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 04:07 pm
I suggest putting a period at the end of your sentences. Sorry if that comes across as punctilious.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 04:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks Stur--tho didn't think it was I in the tizzy

Quote:
I would never have thought Collo was short for colloquial
Yes, no, well Stxur, it isn't. I had hoped to make it an a2k abbr, saving keystrokes

Quote:
intentionally disruptive
Mebbe a subconscious affair

Quote:
...sin no more ( of necessarily less...
Well put
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
Still Stur what's wrong with my idea: If we could find some way to contact newcomers only, we might advise, eg, "Wherever you see an "@" preceding a posting title, and if you are bothered by anything out of the ordinary, then you're advised to skip that posting"
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
forced and contrived
Punk I had not the faintest notion; sure they were perfectly natural and straightfwd, just as that last'n'
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
period at the end
Surprising, Oli; first time so suggested in some 17 years

Interested to learn what sort of intense reaction omitting it causes in our usu a2k

Thanks however for that adj! I like it a lot, always appreciate a good'n' such, one a day
Olivier5

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:33 am
@dalehileman,
You're most welcome.
0 Replies