What are the safest places for Solo Travelling?

vera123

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:12 am
I am a girl and planning for solo outing please suggest some safest places for Solo Travelling?

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:34 am
@vera123,
I'd suggest a google search "where is it safe for a woman to travel alone".
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:50 am
@vera123,
This is a pretty broad question... there are literally thousands of places where it is reasonably safe for a woman (I am assuming you are an adult) to travel alone. You should, of course, follow the standard safety rules and respect the local culture.

Why don't we start narrowing it down. Are you looking for Europe, Asia, Africa, North America?

Do you want to experience cultures, see wildlife, look at art, walk through ruins?

There are tens of millions of women (and men) that have had great experiences travelling. If you start with the idea that travelling is inherently unsafe (which it isn't) then you will be limiting yourself.

It is a big, wonderful, exciting world to explore. So tell us what you like, and we can help you start to narrow it down as to where to start.

giujohn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 09:42 am
@vera123,
My place...Bring vodka.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 11:51 am
@vera123,
vera123 wrote:

... please suggest some safest places for Solo Travelling?

Vera, if you've been reading World and even local newspapers lately, you know of all the bombing and terrorist activity that has been happening. So, I doubt that today, be it for a girl, woman, single or married etc ( and even if you're a boy or man), there is no place on this Earth that is totally safe.

Even if you stay at home and hide in your bed, under the covers, something really bad could happen to you. Imagine being asleep in your bed and having an airplane come crashing through your ceiling.

There are certainly many more examples I could give you, but I figure you get the picture already. If you travel, be sure to have insurance...that at least will give you a certain degree of confidence.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 12:15 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Vera, if you've been reading World and even local newspapers lately, you know of all the bombing and terrorist activity that has been happening.

Rubbish! The amount of bombing and terrorist activity happening now is extremely small. This is actually one of the safest eras to travel. Travelling was much more dangerous in most of the world 50 years ago, or 100 years ago, or 1000 years ago. I would avoid hotspots like Syria or Ukraine.. but most of the world from Germany (yeah I said it) to Morocco to Mexico are quite safe.

You hear about 1 American who has died recently in a terrorist attack out of the millions of us who travel. That's pretty good odds.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 12:59 pm
If you are not used to travel and you are unsecure - then things can happen.
Like you get late for you train/airplane. You will get lost in a big city or a wood.
You will end up in the wrong kind of restaurant and pay too much for the food.
I would suggest you find a group of people in your agegroup going on a guided
tour someplace. You can also join a pure female group.
This just so get used to travelling in the first place.
If you really want to go solo, then do it the safest way. Do not go to a far away country where you do not know the language. Stay in a place of your interest.
It can be a big city, or small town or pure countryside. Book a hotel with a rather good reputation. Better to pay a bit more and stay a little shorter.
If you do not feel well about going out in the evening plan what you can do
instead. Get books about the place, have money for a cab to and from a concert or theatre. See to there is a restaurant in the hotel or just around the corner.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:51 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

...It is a big, wonderful, exciting world to explore. So tell us what you like, and we can help you start to narrow it down as to where to start.

In my humble opinion, those who love to travel are possibly boring folks that need outside stimulation to entertain/titillate themselves, or believe that the act of travel makes them a bigger/grander person, with an enhanced usage of their alloted time on Earth. Now that's "rubbish," in my opinion. Their are entire regions that get tremendous enjoyment from local/regional forms of entertainment, such as sports or cultural events (rodeos, NASCAR). Those who are deluded into the "citizen of the world" mentality want to experience the "world" before they die. Read Ernest Becker and Terror Management Theory on Wikipedia to see that travel is just a self-centered diversion. And, to agree with Miller, whether one is a male or not, solo or not, there is a criminal element everywhere. So, since tourists are directed to touristy places, for purposes of getting U.S. dollars, one is a target anywhere.

Also, travel (19th century) was once just for the wealthy. It is now a big business, to allow those of nominal means to emulate what only the rich once did. It's big business, like the commericalization of Christmas.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:58 pm
@Foofie,
Some people prefer to travel.

Some people prefer to "titillate" themselves.

To each his own.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:10 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
And, to agree with Miller, whether one is a male or not, solo or not, there is a criminal element everywhere. So, since tourists are directed to touristy places, for purposes of getting U.S. dollars, one is a target anywhere.

You're right, Foofie. How many women , mostly youngish have vanished while on a ocean vacation? Overboard is all we ever hear....We never hear about how they ended up "overboard".
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:21 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
How many women , mostly youngish have vanished while on a ocean vacation?

I am guessing one woman vanished while on an ocean vacation this year. Maybe one woman every 5 years (out of the millions of women who take ocean vacations). Do you have a real number?

Of course, you are going to make a big deal out of it anyway.
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Drunk
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:59 pm
@maxdancona,
I love travel, period. Good, bad, ugly.
I loved going around the US with my parents in my childhood - that is part of my love of driving and trains and planes. Our lives way simplified later, but I remembered it all.

I have disabilities, which, when I learned about all that at age 48, explained a lot (why I tripped on tree stumps and much else), but didn't deter me. I had just not gotten that others saw differently than I did with their eyes.

Over the years, I traveled with some of my girlfriend group several times, and with a good boyfriend, and, in time, with my husband.

My last good trip was a split, as a friend of my husband and slightly of me wanted to come with me and that she begged and I said ok. What a mistake.
However, she only had a set time. The rest of the month trip was by myself alone and I had a wonderful trip.

I am night blind, also with bad peripheral vision - I had to deal with that re any preparation for where I went at what time, but I'm good at that now.
I have had great trips.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 09:55 pm
So, re Vera, if she is still here, start witb reading.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
In my case, the place was Italy.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:38 am
@Miller,
If you live in Scandinavia or Great Britain you can harly leave the country without taking a ferry or ship (if you do not fly) and in comparasing how many travel it is few who vanish.
You do not know if they jump to commit suicide or if it is a criminal act.
When a ship or ferry stop for "Man over board" does not always mean from their own ship, but from any ship - rowing oat or sailboat or fisherboat.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 09:03 am
@saab,
Do they still say "man overboard"? That seems so outdated.
Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:50 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
And, to agree with Miller, whether one is a male or not, solo or not, there is a criminal element everywhere. So, since tourists are directed to touristy places, for purposes of getting U.S. dollars, one is a target anywhere.

You're right, Foofie. How many women , mostly youngish have vanished while on a ocean vacation? Overboard is all we ever hear....We never hear about how they ended up "overboard".

Don't forget the white slave trade.

In my opinion, if one is fortunate enough to be living in the U.S., travelling is akin to the late 19th century pastime of hiring bodyguards (Pinkertons?), so one can "go slumming" to see how the "other half lived." Pure Schadenfreude, in my opinion.

Additionally, if I was a female, I would not want to get depressed by travelling outside the U.S., since if one has any insight one can discern that women are considered less than men in ability and intelligence elsewhere, even in western countries where many wives accept husbands having a woman on the side, since supposedly males need that. Just evidence of why pagan women flocked to Christianity, since it supposedly ensured one woman and one man being together. So much for the success of Christianity.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 02:56 pm
@Foofie,
Not to forget alien abductions... how many woman have been snatched up through the balcony windows of 5 star hotels to be probed (and possibly impregnated) by entities from other galaxies.
Miller

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 03:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

... how many woman have been snatched up through the balcony windows of 5 star hotels to be probed (and possibly impregnated) by entities from other galaxies.

Too many to count! But they were having a great time.
0 Replies