The sun from a religious perspective

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:06 am
Hi..I know that the sun goes around or rotate around other planets.The question is , do different religion agree or believe in this ?.Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 14
No top replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:40 am
I think it is a widespread belief in religions that the sun is the centre, and the nine planets rotate around the sun in their various orbits as science has confirmed, but I think the real question is what significance is given to the sun within those religions?

Are there any religions that totally disagree with science?
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:52 am
Perhaps , there are.I mean , nobody ( myself maybe ) is quite sure .Maybe some religious sects don't agree with some parts of science or it could be a slight difference between them.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:44 am
So, what you mean is, do all religions believe in the solar system as described by scientists or do they attribute the mechanics of it to a higher power?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:46 am
Re: The sun from a religious perspective
navigator wrote:
Hi..I know that the sun goes around or rotate around other planets.The question is , do different religion agree or believe in this ?.Thanks

You can't "know" that...because that is not what happens!
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
Hi carrie , you can say so..

Hi Frank .I meant planets go a round the sun Very Happy . It was the thought that I wrote directly , sorry.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
navigator wrote:
Hi carrie , you can say so..

Hi Frank .I meant planets go a round the sun Very Happy . It was the thought that I wrote directly , sorry.

No problem...just wanted to point it out. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
I would suppose that everyone believes that the planets revolve around the sun at this point. The days when people believed that the earth was flat and it was at the center of the universe are long passed.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
Actually the sun does rotate around the planets, or rather around the combined center of mass of both the sun and the planet.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:49 pm
au1929 wrote:
I would suppose that everyone believes that the planets revolve around the sun at this point. The days when people believed that the earth was flat and it was at the center of the universe are long passed.

Thats true, the "flat earth" organisation was dispanded in the early eighties.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Actually the sun does rotate around the planets, or rather around the combined center of mass of both the sun and the planet.

Well..since the issue being discussed was whether the sun revolved around the planets or the planets revolve around the sun...

...which is it in your opinion?

The word "rotate", by the way, when used in astronomical discussions...has nothing to do with one object circling another. It has to do with an object turning around its axis. The word is used incorrectly in your post.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:28 pm
au1929 wrote:

It was only 350 years since Galileo was put under house arrest by the church for his pronouncement that the Earth was not the center of the universe. I don't know when the Catholic Church officially admitted that Galileo was right nor how long after that the general public accecpted it. With the poor state of education until very recently, that misconception may have persisted well into the 19th or even the 20th century.

I'ts been 150 years since Darwin's "Origin of Species," and many people, churches, and, perhaps, even our fundamentalist president still refuse to accept the fact of evolution.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
I know that the sun light reaches the earth due to a nuclear reaction which occur in the sun.As a result the sun loses 4 million tons of its mass in every second.Is this true ? Confused
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:38 am
There are at least two angles with which we can approach the question of the religious significance of the Sun.

1. Whether the heliocentic model clashes with doctrine (as in the Pope vs Galileo dispute)

2. The issue that our dependence on the Sun gives it a religious significance (as in the takeover of SUNday as the Christian sabbath by the Romans, and the continued mystical significance of the Sun's status in esoteric systems such as Kabbalah and Sufism).

In general the so-called "facts" of physics are considered to be merely useful conventions by some religious acolytes.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:09 am
That's what I was trying to say earlier...lol
0 Replies