What do white strawberries taste like?

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 01:28 pm
More Simon and Martina based goodness!

Apparently, don't bother....

What super expensive fruit have you partaken in yet found it to be a complete waste of time?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Jeez, they don't even look tasty.

They're ghost strawberries.

The souls of berries that weren't eaten, left to roam the earth.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:15 pm
@chai2,
I've tried white peaches and donut peaches, and neither one was anything to write home about.

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 04:26 pm
@chai2,
I never heard of a donut peach, but I wouldn't carry white peaches home if you gave me a peck.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 05:58 pm
@roger,
They just look like squashed down peaches.

http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/weekly/2013/08-23-078/w_images/peach_season1.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:03 pm
@roger,
How are you supposed to make an authentic bellini without white peaches?

and, seriously, how can you not love the taste and texture of a sweet juicy white peach
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:04 pm
@ehBeth,
oh wait

white peaches don't count since they're no more expensive than any other peach

___

super expensive fruit

mulling

what is a super expensive fruit?
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:05 pm
@ehBeth,
The white peaches I bought and ate didn't have any tartness to them at all.

Even the sweetest peach needs something to counterbalance it, IMO.

They just weren't interesting.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oh wait

white peaches don't count since they're no more expensive than any other peach

___

super expensive fruit

mulling

what is a super expensive fruit?

I guess because of the transportation cost, white peaches are 2 to 3 times the price of regular peaches when they (the regular) are at their most expensive.

Rainier cherries.....mmmmmm. Expensive but good.

But I don't think there's anything that can match how expensive fruit is in Japan.

roger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:14 pm
@chai2,
No tartness and they seemed somehow lacking in taste and texture.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 06:16 pm
@chai2,
Interesting. White peaches are the same cost here as regular peaches - when both are in season, they're particularly good and inexpensive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:53 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I never heard of a donut peach, but I wouldn't carry white peaches home if you gave me a peck.

I seen them at Whole Foods but don't have the random money to splurge on random (possibly anticlimactic) groceries.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:32 pm
@chai2,
I love it when these new cultivars show up in the market and som kind of "market mystique" grows up around them until they become more widely available.
The white berries are sold around here as "pineberries". Penn State brought in a bunch of plants from Belgium where , apparently, theyve married these things with their world famous chocolate. Penn State has managed to make em available to growers and the Amsih hve picked up on em(no need to ship em across the Pacific) What do they taste like? I have no idea except that they have a sign out on one farm that states they taste like "pineapple".
Ive never been swayed by marketing Bullshit so Ill have to wait a couple years more till Neufchatel chocolate starts screwing with em. (Neufchatel makes the best malty chocolate coatings for fruits)

Donut peaches-meh, kinda weird looking, nothing special on the taste unless picked at peak freshness
White peaches- kinda taste- insipid and just sweet. tried em, and really dont care for em.

Sorta like SNAKEHEAD FISH. (theres a link here so dont hang up).These imported invasive fishies have set up residence In Eastern Shore Streams.In these streams the snakehead has taken over and is a common denizen of the water that eats other game fish and, consequently grow rather quickly. The hell of it is that they are a firm fleshed, really tasty fish that serves up really well in an oriental"Crispy fish" dish or a taco. Well, , here they re, widely available, delicious and a neat sport fish. BUT Nobody'll eat the damn things so theyve taken over and created a myth that these fish are monsters that will attack kids in the water.
They are now trying to rename the snakehead to something friendlier, maybe they oughta choose "Pineberry Fish"
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:38 pm
@farmerman,
I feel sad for people who aren't getting good white peaches.

And really ... how are you going to make an authentic Bellini without them? a great 1930's Venetian cocktail <sigh> needs that white peach puree
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I can unnerstand why you folks up there need to get hammered to make it through winter. Down here we have oceans of nice days in between the occasional days of bone stabbing cold so hot chocolate works just fine.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 10:12 pm
@farmerman,
pffffffffffft

Bellinis are summer drinks

<silly man>
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 05:35 am
@ehBeth,
then theres no urgency. I planted a fig tree when we needed to have a source of very fresh figs for a special kind of Moroccan preserves made with citron and figs. Im sure you can do that with a white peach. (Actually, a white peach sounds kinda unappetizing to me), theyre more sweet than peachy no?
Im not allergic to peahens so I tend to go for those peach varietals that are really loaded up with the cyanogen glucosides(sounds poisonous but peaches are only dangerous if we eat way too many at a sitting , or eat a whole lot of really fresh picked ones).

Peaches take a bit more care than other fruits, you have to prune the crap out of them and then remove maybe 75% of the little baby peahens off the branches. Then you have to do spraying. Otherwise peaches have a tendency to attract peach loving insects that burrow and cause an exudation of an resin- like viscous fluid on their entry point. But peaches are definitely worth it as a home fruit crop.
(We can get apples from several farms around us but peaches and cherries and service-berries gotta be brown at home)
You hve a small backyard? grow the peach. Toronto is in a heat sink nd I know lotsa more "tropical" veggies that do well there.

While I have you on the line, Have they begun the annual counting of Saw Whet Owls around the Lake?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:26 am
@farmerman,
First bird count I know about is this Sunday.

I suppose I could get the urban harvest people to take care of a peach tree for me. Raccoons just love fruit so much - kind of pointless to grow anything we might depend on.

White peaches are usually a little sweeter than some other varietals, but one of the reasons I like them is that I've never (knock on wood) run into a mealy - textured white peach and that can happen with yellow flesh ones. We're close enough to Niagara that we get really wonderful summer fruit at our local markets.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:29 am
@farmerman,
Heat sink is true. I am right at the top edge of the escarpment here and the little backyard faces west. A few years ago I grew desert annuals back there.

A mini deciduous woodlot in front, desert landscape in back. It's interesting gardening around here. I've been xeriscaping for over 15 years now and it really is fun discovering plants that survive no watering.
0 Replies

ginagreen

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 01:47 am
@tsarstepan,
I have never tried the white strawberries, but it seems like the peach.
0 Replies