Can Your Goldfish Get Rabies?

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 04:06 am
So that's the first part of the question.

Then, if it can, what the hell do you do about it? Would you carefully carry the goldfish bowl out into the middle of main street, warning folks to stay inside their homes, then move away to a safe 100 paces and then shoot it with your civil war rifle?

Asking for a friend.

blatham

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 04:20 am
He's looked all over the internet. There are no youtube videos to show you what to do. Nothing in the academic literature.

Any problem solvers out there? Outside the box thinkers?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 09:23 am
What have you and your friend been smoking?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 09:34 am
@blatham,
Can't you just get your goldfish vaccinated?

It seems that with a little forethought, this is an avoidable problem.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 09:45 am
@blatham,
No. Goldfish aren't mammals. Whales are, though, and those are hard to box up.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 11:14 am
@blatham,
Truth be known, Gold-Fish can indeed acquire rabies. Tis rare, but verily I say unto you (and all disbelievers), that it happens.

It appears to happen when Miss Gold marries a certain Mr.Fish and are then attacked by wild raccoons or 'possums!

It can also happen when certain animals become a bit too friendly with fish.

Shooting the sinful creature won't help as they store the rabies in their gills and it releases into the air upon entry of bullets or sharp metal objects. (So be cautious when gutting a fresh caught flounder or halibut)

The only known and proven cure is a mixture of arnica, wolfsbane and melissa officinalis (lemon balm). However I must advise you tobe careful in mixing or a toxic cloud will form which will soon envelope the entire region rendering all inhabitants to submit to fits of uncontrollable laughter.

Best of luck to your friend.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 12:05 pm
@blatham,
I'm more worried about goldfish and lycanthropy.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 12:25 pm
@Sturgis,
I didn't know about the rabies in the gills sturgis, thanks.

I would have just called Atticus Finch.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 01:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Are you confusing rabies, with scabies... they are two different things altogether. It is rare that fish contract scabies given to their aquatic nature, but there is a chance that Mr. Fish could contract such an embarrassing problem fooling around in land-based houses of ill-repute.

These herbal creams don't work (so I have been told). A permethrin creme should be administered to both Mr Fish and Mrs. Fish (as well as any other fish that may have come into physical contact with him).
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 01:59 pm
@maxdancona,
He could be confusing rabies with herpies...?
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Harpies are a real problem around here, I don't mind telling you.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I had to look that up, lycanthropy had me stumped. For other non-lycanthroers, here's wiki on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_lycanthropy
Clinical lycanthropy is defined as a rare psychiatric syndrome that involves a delusion that the affected person can transform into, has transformed into, or is a non-human animal.

I had goldfish in my little (I do mean little, there may be a photo here somewhere, unless it's gone since I became a temp), but after the few went and died, I got mosquito fish (gambusa) from the city, a more useful choice, also free.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't know what herpies is. But herpes is a minor skin rash, caused by a virus, with a very bad reputation. And harpies are mythical creatures; half-woman, half-bird of prey.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 02:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, you aint' seen nothin' with a bad reputation until you've been confronted by a harpy with herpies.

They get all in your grill and everything.

Thick as love bugs they get, clogging your intake.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 03:30 pm
@chai2,
I once knew a happy hippy harpy with herpes. She had a scrappy, preppy puppy named Pappy...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2016 04:12 pm
I knew a Rabbi who got goldfish

He got them at the Hadassah Bazaar
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 02:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm more worried about goldfish and lycanthropy.

Well, who isn't.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 02:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Not always minor, the herpes situations: it can go to the lungs.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 03:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I hate the misinformation about herpes. It is minor. This isn't the thread for this; but my experience with this was frustrating...

Between 50 to 80% of American adults have HSV-1. You can get it by kissing someone. If you know someone who has cold sores around their mouth, they have the herpes virus. And they don't even bother testing for it. I had to google your claim about lung problems, it is HSV-1 that can cause this in very rare cases with already immuno-compromised patients.

The the very close relative of HSV-2 is genital herpes. About 20% of American adults have the virus (slightly more women then men), obviously this number is higher if you have had multiple partners. Most people get a mild rash once or no symptoms ever. They don't even bother testing for it.

I learned about this when an ex-girlfriend told me she had the virus. I freaked and I went to get tested. My doctor refused to do the test because without any symptoms, the medical community simply doesn't consider this serious and they said the "stigma was worse than the actual disease". I ended up going to clinics until I would find someone I could force to test me... they keep on telling me "look, this is really common and we would rather people not know because it is minor and they just get upset because of the stigma". I kept on telling them "I really want to know".

This is frustrating news. The public is upset about a disease that doctors don't even take seriously.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 03:43 pm
@maxdancona,
On the other hand, Rabies is serious.

1. Forums
  2. » Can Your Goldfish Get Rabies?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.17 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:44:57