The Language Barrier

karanae84

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:40 am
Just north of where I am there's a good deal of Kurpfalzisch... not to mention the Bayerisch over in Bayern--I couldn't understand a word at first!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 05:30 am
Well, I stayed generations back (in the early 70's) quite often in Heidelberg at a frien's, who studied there. (Especially remember the nice time in flat-sharing community (WG) in the Untere Strasse, a wine pub downstairs ...
0 Replies

Youngbrain

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:40 pm
karanae84 wrote:
Hmmm... that's an interesting phenomenon. Living in Germany, I've noticed the use of a lot of words like "upgeloaded" and "gedroppt".
I also wanted to mention that the languages I hear most often in Heidelberg (apart from German and English) are Turkish, Italian, and Asian language (Japanese, Mandarin, etc...)

Yeah sometimes when I wander around my little gebiet of Bad Cannstatt I wonder where the Germans are???? The increase in the amount of women walking around in burqua (arab/muslim clothing without the camel) and headscarfs over the past ten years is amazing!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:58 pm
<I don't really think what clothes someone is wearing is generally an indication of her/his nationalty, at least not at our latitude.>
0 Replies

Youngbrain

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:31 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
<I don't really think what clothes someone is wearing is generally an indication of her/his nationalty, at least not at our latitude.>

Well it certainly is in my book! You'd recognise a nun or a monk from wearing their traditional garb and so you would a muslim from their garb. The increasing population of muslims in our Western Society is unhealthy as I do not see muslims embracing our cultural standards or intergrating!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:55 am
Youngbrain wrote:

Well it certainly is in my book! You'd recognise a nun or a monk from wearing their traditional garb and so you would a muslim from their garb.

I don't doubt this.

But muslims as well as monks and nuns might well be German.

(re your previous "Yeah sometimes when I wander around my little gebiet of Bad Cannstatt I wonder where the Germans are????")

I've a different opinion about what you sais later.

Here's a pic of the traditional Sunday of Bad Cansatdt females

http://www.wde.de/images/bcd/historisches/mai04/gaeste3.jpg
0 Replies

Youngbrain

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:02 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Youngbrain wrote:

Well it certainly is in my book! You'd recognise a nun or a monk from wearing their traditional garb and so you would a muslim from their garb.

I don't doubt this.

But muslims as well as monks and nuns might well be German.

(re your previous "Yeah sometimes when I wander around my little gebiet of Bad Cannstatt I wonder where the Germans are????")

I've a different opinion about what you said later.

Here's a pic of the traditional Sunday of Bad Cansatdt females

http://www.wde.de/images/bcd/historisches/mai04/gaeste3.jpg

First of all monks and nuns are not causing deaths with suicide bombs and the picture of the women in traditional dress in Bad Cannstatt happens once a year at Maifest on which occasion the picture was taken.

I respect that you may have a different opinion but thank goodness the opinion of many more people has prevented the building of any mosque in this area! It does not go with the traditional architecture too.
0 Replies